Back-up camera, tow pack, roof rack, alarm and other questions

Rhodius

I'm considering to buy a 2008 CX-9 GT AWD. Right now I'm in the midst of finalizing my check-list of accessories/package to get.

1. Back-up camera
Has anyone found a substitute for the backup camera? I frequently have to parallel park in the city, my old X5 has the PDC (park distance control), with that I could get into unbelievably tight spots without much effort. I don't want to get the camera for my CX-9 because I'm afraid it will broke easily (electronics will fail eventually) besides it only looks at your back and not your front (important for those extra inches when parallel park).

2. Auto-dimming mirror
If the back-up camera comes with auto-dimming mirror, does that mean getting the mirror with homelink and compass is moot (it's supposed to auto-dim as well?

3. Tow package
Could you ask for this package and yet give the dealer your own hitch to install? Somebody in the accesories forum interest me with the hidden hitch, so I don't have to cut a hole in my bumper.

4. Roof rack
I found websites (service dept of Mazda dealers) that offer OEM roof rack, but the price is really not too different ($50 to $100 cheaper), is it better to stick to my dealer installing them or with aftermarket in that case? Because of the small cargo area, I plan to buy cargo box to put on the roof top for long distance travel.

5. Alarm
X5 comes with tilt and motion sensors in addition to sound/glass and door breaking sensors. Is this what the $199 PSL burglar alarm does (option list)?

6. Auto door lock
Somebody else talked about having the car lock itself automatically if you walked away from it, since if one of the doors open, you can't trigger the door to lock afterwards. Where is this setting?

I've done my research here and elsewhere since it's a pretty new vehicle, there weren't too many posts about all my qs above. While I can ask my sales person these questions, I don't wholly believe he knows the answers, you guys in this forum know best!

Thanks!

Tow package

I want to add the main reason to get the tow package for me is for bike hitch, while I may need to tow something heavy, for the foreseeable future that is unlikely.

Thx.

I'll give some of these a try...

2. It's either the backup camera in the mirror OR the homelink & compass. The homelink & compass mirror is auto dimming. Not sure about the backup camera mirror.

3. If you get the tow package factory installed, you will already have the notch cut in the bumper. If you get the dealer accessory, you get the wiring harness and 1 1/4" hitch. If you're only going to be using the hitch for a bicycle rack, you don't need the wiring harness, so just go for the aftermarket 2" hitch.

4. I would recommend getting the roof rails from your dealer and have them install them for free (it takes about 5 minutes!) so that they will be covered under your warranty. Where you get the crossbars from depends on exactly what you want to do with them. Some systems will work better with their own crossbars, others will work just fine with the factory ones.

6. The autolock feature is off by default. The dealer can change the setting for you in a couple of minutes, but apparently it's not something we can do ourselves. One annoyance that I have found is that it requires that you stay near the car until the last door has been closed. If you leave the area while a door (or hatch) is still open, it won't autolock. And every once in a while, mine just "forgets" to lock them even when I'm the only one. You get used to listening for the beep. If it doesn't autolock, you must then lock it with the remote.

I'll give some of these a try...

2. It's either the backup camera in the mirror OR the homelink & compass. The homelink & compass mirror is auto dimming. Not sure about the backup camera mirror.

You've lost me a bit on this, I was under the impression the back up camera was displayed on the navigation screen. Whereas the auto dimming homelink mirror, etc is a totally different animal. What makes you think the back up camera and the homelink mirror are either/or, seems like you could get both.

I do not believe the back up camera and the auto dimming mirror are related in any way but that could be my mistaken impression.

You've lost me a bit on this, I was under the impression the back up camera was displayed on the navigation screen. Whereas the auto dimming homelink mirror, etc is a totally different animal. What makes you think the back up camera and the homelink mirror are either/or, seems like you could get both.

I do not believe the back up camera and the auto dimming mirror are related in any way but that could be my mistaken impression.

If you don't want/need the navigation system (that includes a backup camera), Mazda offers a auto dimming mirror with the back up camera built into the mirror. Go www.mazdausa.com and look under accessories (audio/electrical) for the CX-9. The kit is about $680 + installation.

Attachments

• Mazda_CX9_RearCameraSystem.jpg
    Mazda_CX9_RearCameraSystem.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 206
Wow had not seen the accessories part of the site, awesome that answers a lot of questions I had about them. Thanks for explaining!

3. Tow package
Could you ask for this package and yet give the dealer your own hitch to install? Somebody in the accesories forum interest me with the hidden hitch, so I don't have to cut a hole in my bumper.

You should doublecheck with your dealer what is included and what is not in the '08 tow package. Tow package is standard on '07s in Canada and it does not include hitch and wiring harness, but includes tranny oil cooler, larger fan, re-mapped ECU that keeps the transmission in lower gear (higher RPM, higher torque) when towing.

However... despite I have the towing package + Hidden Hitch + weight distribution hitch + trailer electrical connections installed on the CX-9, I DO NOT RECOMMEND TOWING MORE THAN 2000 lbs. (no)
The CX-9 transmission is not really designed for towing. This is my personal experience, and I tow my trailer with my Ford F-150.

You should doublecheck with your dealer what is included and what is not in the '08 tow package...

Definitely get the details for both the factory tow package and the dealer installed accessory. For 2007 in the US, the trans cooler and re-mapped ECU are not standard, but are part of the factory tow package (along with the hitch and wiring harness). I'm pretty sure the dealer installed accessory included only the wiring harness and hitch.

Thanks for all the replies.

When asked about the tow pack, my salesperson asked "What do you want to tow?" I said I only want to carry bikes, he told me not to get the tow package and just get a hitch.

Not too many salespersons are clear on what's an option what's std, I'm glad I have you guys and gals.

Alarm with shock sensor is std on GT, so I don't have to worry about that.

I've narrowed down my options to:
1. Bose+moonroof
2. Back-up camera
3. Maybe roof rack (don't want to install myself)

I'm planning to get hitch, all-weather mat, cargo net and wheel locks separately online or from my dealer if they give good deals.

Thanks.

Back