CX-9 "a real head banger"

marclip1

Just picked up my 07 GT. I am 5'7" and didn't realize I would have to duck down and squeeze in under the sloping front door. I drove this several times before I purchased and cannot believe I didn't notice. Adjusting the seats does not help. Other than a helmut, any suggestions?

Also, gas pedal and brake pedal have unsual spacing between them. Does anybody think that, too?

Last edited:
I would have to duck down and squeeze in under the sloping front door. Adjusting the seats does not help. Other than a helmut, any suggestions?

I cant really understand whats the problem - care to elaborate (uhm)

Just picked up my 07 GT. I am 5'7" and didn't realize I would have to duck down and squeeze in under the sloping front door. I drove this several times before I purchased and cannot believe I didn't notice. Adjusting the seats does not help. Other than a helmut, any suggestions?

Also, gas pedal and brake pedal have unsual spacing between them. Does anybody think that, too?

I'm 5'8" and have no problems on the drivers side. i do however sometimes hit my head on the passenger side A piller. Usually because I''m drunk and my wife is driving. My suggestion is to stay sober.

Gotta watch that tailgate as well. If you park on a slope - rear end uphill, it's real easy to bash your skull on the corners of the tailgate. If you're lucky, you hit the rubber bump stops and knock them off the tailgate. After a bit of searching, they do pop back in their holes fairly easily. Situational awareness is the key!

Dave

It's weird, I'm 6' 3" and have no problem, yet my 5' 9" wife has to contort strangely to get in without hitting her head. We watched each other repeatedly, and she can't understand why I don't have any problem and I can't understand why she does???

It's weird, I'm 6' 3" and have no problem, yet my 5' 9" wife has to contort strangely to get in without hitting her head. We watched each other repeatedly, and she can't understand why I don't have any problem and I can't understand why she does???

I'm guessing that your seat is much further back than hers, so you're getting in at the tallest part of the door, while she's ducking in under the slope.

Do I win?

Try Ducking a little lower.

Ok is it me or are we driving a BIG car, if you are having problems getting into a CX9 then dont ever buy anything smaller than a full size SUV 

I never noticed but my wife did, I drive a little 2 seater so I duck and dive every time I get into my car, so I guess I instinctively check my head clearance no matter which vehicle I get into.

Its the price we pay for the slopping windscreen and elegant looks. (2thumbs)

My take on this is that you taller people are used to bending in some way so you don't notice much difference. Just picked up my 08 and notice the same low clearance issue getting in. I've never had to duck to get into any of my previous cars. I'll get used to it I'm sure.

You are correct c-rex.

I'm 6'7" and I'm use to ducking and watching my headroom. I always get a kick out of people who tell me to watch my head and then watch them turn around bang into something they told to to watch for.

5'9" and happily banged my head 2x today going to the hardware store. hee hee

With the power driver's seat lowered all the way, I never hit my head, but when I'm in the passenger seat, I often hit it. That extra inch or so makes the difference!

Hi, I am 5'11" you have to adjust the seat little lower.....

Bang

I too occasionally hit my head climbing into the CX9 passenger seat and don't understand why. I don't hit my head in either back seat. Go figure.

Wife doesn't have a problem.

Mike

Neither myself nor my wife has had any trouble bonking our heads getting in or out. I'm just shy of 6' tall and she's 5'10".

Both my wife and I hit our heads when we test drove it, but that just taught us to duck. I drove an Expedition and she drives an Odyssey, so we're used to having more headroom, but we adjusted quickly.

About 4 years ago I wanted a VW Touareg. My wife really didn't like them at that time and didn't want me to get a smaller vehicle. We climbed into one on the showroom floor and both wacked our heads pretty hard. She walked out of the showroom and that was the end of the Touareg.

Back