H&R Coilover Review/ Install Tips

:
Mazda, Speed6
First off this thread is useless without pics. I want you to know keep checking back this weekend I will do my last adjustments to the rear to get it where I want it.

Ok now for the review. The car handles like a beast now. I have a 1/3 mile NASCAR sanctioned oval track right near me and I run there every wednesday. These things kept me sticking throughout the highspeed turns. And even coming out of the turns and punching the gas again just made me stick even more. The only complaint that I have is the shock/strut has Mazda 6 written right on it. I wanted to see mazdaspeed6 on them. Springs put it nice and low. And the adjustability is easy for the front. The extra spanner wrench for the rear does NOT come with the kit. That would make my life a whole lot easier when it comes to lowering the rear.

On the road you feel the bumps alittle more. But I am very OK with that. I am going to be autocrossing it on july 1st in pungo, VA. That will be the ultimate test on the coilovers.

Installation on the front is a breeze. You just get the tire off. loosen the yoke on the bottom of the stock coilover, take off the brake line bracket. and take off the top nuts. It will come right out. Then you need to either have a spring compresser OR fast reflexes. Lossen the mounting piece on top and get ready for it to launch. Reuse the bump stops and stuff under there. It says so on one of the red sheets. Then you shove them back into the 3 holes and button everything up.

Installation on the rear SPRING is easy also. Just take out the bolt/nut on the spring cup, and the bolt on the bottom of the sway bar. Use a jack to take pressuire off before you do this. Then you lower the jack slowly and WALA off it comes with minimal "convincing".

Installation of the rear shock was the hardest and most time consuming thing ever. There are 3 bolts holding the mounting bracket to the frame. 2 are easy to get to which are nearest you. the one on the back above the driveshaft needs alittle more finesse. Once you have all three of these out you have to figure out a way to get the shock down. It will take you awhile to figure it out trust me. As for the pain in the ass tab on the back of it, snap it off. It was used there to hang it for ease of assembly and does not need to be there(this will make putting the new ones in easier).

Tools needed:

14mm socket 3/8's drive
17mm socket 3/8's drive
10'' extension 3/8 drive(for the hard to reach bolt on the rear shocks)
universal swivel joint thingy 3/8's drive. (for the hard to reach bolt on the rear shocks)
14mm wrench
17mm wrench
Jack stands/lift (if you lift it you may need spring compresser).
Jack
Portable light source.

anybody that wants to add anything I have forgotten go ahead.

VinnieBeachbum said:
. . . The car handles like a beast now . . .
Well timed post . . . I just ordered mine (H&R coil-overs) yesterday.

Looking forward to to some pics, and hearing how the final adjustments affected things!

btw (in the meantime) . . .
1. how low did you go?
2. were you able to find out what the spring-rates are?

cheers

Last edited:
I went 21 threads up on the front and it sits perfect for the front.
7 threads in the back and I need to lower it some more.

The springs have a part number on them.

Back