smoked rear tail lights...spray can or film?

swoosh55

:
Galaxy grey mazda 5
I'm in search of a solution to lower the intensity of the clear tail lights in order to have a more uniform look. I looked on the web for solutions and it looks like i have only 2 options.
1- spray can ala "nightshade"
2- smoke decal vinyl

Now i'm by no means an expert on mod so the more basic the application the better for me. I don't want to open the lights so i'm in search of an exterior solution.
DECALFX seem to have a solution but would like some reviews if any by some of you members.

Any links, tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Spray can, niteshades... I have experience with both the film and the spray. The film is good if you want to change it back because you dont like it, but the spray is better IMO

Before anyone else mentions it, smoking your taillights is illegal and if you are doing it with your brake lights, also quite dangerous.

I have never had any problems nor have I heard of anyone getting in trouble for them. I have had them darkened for a year or so now, had plenty of cops sitting behind me at stop lights. Also, we have the 3rd tail light on our spoiler, I think that kinda helps if it's not tinted. As far as visability, I don't think it harms it much at all. If someone hits me and says they couldnt see it, i'll show the officer when I put my brakes on that you can see it. But yes, it is illegal. Although I think in florida they have to be visable up to a certain distance, I think 100 yards... and I know I can prove they are.

I Have Nite Shade On Mine, I Like It. I Didn't Go 100% Dark, But Its Decent. I Warn You Though, This Paint Does Not Come Off...........

DeadGeneration said:
I have never had any problems nor have I heard of anyone getting in trouble for them. I have had them darkened for a year or so now, had plenty of cops sitting behind me at stop lights. Also, we have the 3rd tail light on our spoiler, I think that kinda helps if it's not tinted. As far as visability, I don't think it harms it much at all. If someone hits me and says they couldnt see it, i'll show the officer when I put my brakes on that you can see it. But yes, it is illegal. Although I think in florida they have to be visable up to a certain distance, I think 100 yards... and I know I can prove they are.

Unless it's a light tint, I guarantee they aren't visible at 100 yards unless it's at night.

thanks for your answers.

BIGCC63- when you say this paint does not come off, are you saying that if i mess it up, I'll have to get a new light? i had the impression that it should go off with tinner....

As for the film, i think it should do the trick also but i'm a bit shocked by the price for it. I mean, it should cost me around 80$cdn for it. I find it costly for 2 small areas to cover. This being ordered from decalfx.
is that a special film or would any interiror film would do? since it doesn't have to have protective attributes (rock won't hit it)...

thanks again

Last edited:
Kansei said:
Before anyone else mentions it, smoking your taillights is illegal and if you are doing it with your brake lights, also quite dangerous.
Brake lights aren't a fashion statement, they're a necessary safety feature. I'm sorry but I'm with Kansei on this one. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

jandree22 said:
Brake lights aren't a fashion statement, they're a necessary safety feature. I'm sorry but I'm with Kansei on this one. Good luck to you whatever you decide.

+1

Kansei said:

jandree22 said:

gayflag.gif

If you're not good with doing stuff like this, then find a body shop that does custom work. They can spray them just like if they were painting, and they can do varying shades of darkness. They'll also do a clearcoat so they're glossy and hold up well. Just doing nightshades, you'll be upset because it's more of a matte finish unless you do a clearcoat and polish.

Shouldnt have expected anything more than a flame from dommo_g please excuse me for not bowing down to your almightyness. (lol2)

I dont give a damn what people want to risk for themselves. Really, I don't. But putting other drivers in harms way just to make your car look all pretty, and asking for an SUV to get shoved up your ass now THAT my flaming friend, is gay. :rolleyes:

I totally agree with the security issue here and gave it second tought after reading your post. I still wish to find a way to smoke them by maybe restrict the area that surround the 3 lights circles. Keep the area that lit and smoke the other. Security wise i think there wouldn't be any problems since the light would still be 100% visible.

Flamers keep going...if it's done in respect i'm okay with that.
Thanks.

It was civil discussion until a certain flamer arrived to spread his pixy dust ;)

Anyhow, another idea is to purchase GT trim taillights from the dealer. Theyre black bezelled but retain the DOT approved brightness of the lights themselves. This wouldnt be cheap, but you could POSSIBLY offset it by selling your current tails to someone in need, although that might be tricky finding a buyer.

Ive also seen people with other models of cars do a procedure where they actually remove the taillights from their car, bake them in an oven to soften/melt the glue holding them together, then painting the desired surfaces inside the assembly. Although the downside to this one is I havent heard of anyone trying that yet with 5 tails. And personally, Id feel nervous sticking my tails into a 300* oven! haha

I do like your idea and like the look of smoked or blacked at tails, but obviously I just have a problem when they interfere with function. 99% chance you wouldnt have a problem if you would cover your tails in tint, Im just playing devils advocate for that 1 chance out of 100 that a car smashes into you because of it and someone gets hurt.

well, i think i'm going to keep searching for a secure way to do this.
i'm sure there's a way of doing it. I'll be looking towards the film for obvious reasons, if i mess it up i'll peel it back to it's original state.

Thanks for the feedback and if you have some ideas/link just let me know.

I can almost guarantee that the taillights are plastic welded like other Mazda taillights so the baking trick won't do it :(

works on headlights, not taillights.

Well... does it worth the risk to smoked the tail lights... here are the pictures of my Mazda5... Everybody I know love it... except my mom worry about I will get a ticket for it... other then that... it is the best $150 I spend on my Mazda5...

asppg_Ky428297555.jpg

asppg_Te975245947.jpg

asppg_Ah547099352.jpg

it will look even better if your Mazda5 is darker color... remember to change the brake light to LED.

Last edited:
Wow, it does look very nice!
don't know if i would go that dark tough...

Mind telling me if it's film or paint and maybe a bit of explanation on how you did this?

Thanks.

painted... bodyshop did it... and it is not really that dark... you can see from the 1st and 3rd pictures... you still can see the inside of the light...

Back