exhaust tip fix idea w/pics. and updates

mazspd6

:
mazdaspeed 6
I've been wanting to fix the exhaust tip issue for a while on my Speed 6 and finally got started yesterday on a more appealing solution while trying to keep the cost on the low side.
I do realize that you can get a real nice cat back set up, but frankly I hate the idea of replacing what isn't broke and I like the quiet of the stock set up, just not the look.

Final product on page 3
Tools needed:
Good quality Tin Shears
A very sharp and manueverable cutting blade.
Rip, medium, and fine tooth files in "flat" and "half round" style
Course, medium, fine wet sandpaper
Beer

First, I opened the Guinness to calm the nerves and get ready.

I did an initial trace line very carefully with a very sharp cutter to get the cut line.
I then used some tin shears to trim the plastic off right below the cut line on the large flat areas, you will have to use the cutter to do the rest as the shears will break the plastic on curved areas at the top of the lip and they do not make sharp turns without chewing up the plastic.
This takes a steady hand, patience, beer, and it is not for the weak of heart..afterall you only got one shot at this.

I then used a file, I have one that has both "rip" and "medium" teeth and a flat side and half round side for both teeth, all on one file.

I used the "rip" side to quickly dispose of extra plastic to get close to my desired line, using the flat side for the flat areas and the half round for curved areas. Then using the "medium" side I evened out the roughness and then stepped down to a "fine" tooth to further smooth the edges.
I also chose to make the edges look "thinner" by filing the edge of the plastic down to a third of it's original thickness to give it a cleaner appearance.

Next, you use varying grades of wet sandpaper to further smooth the edges down for the final product.

IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

This is part one.

In part two I will be having some Magnaflow tips installed that are double wall and very hard to find in the right size as we only have a very short amount of "straight" pipe from the last bend of the exhaust to the flush area of the back bumper as I don't want these to extend past the bumper like the stock ones did.

I chose Magnaflow tip #35127 as it is only 4 1/2 inches long, 4 inches around, and has an angle that should flow well with the shape of the bumper.
These were $55 each at my local speed shop back in December, but when I checked recently, they no longer could get them and could not tell me if they are made anymore.
I saw a Borla tip that was kinda similar in size but they were $77 each!! and they "clamp on"...that's friggin' nuts.
Luckily I found the Magnaflow's I wanted on-line and they were only $35 plus change with free shipping!

Here is the link to it.
http://www.performancepeddler.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MAG35127

I will be posting pics of the finished product when they come in and are mounted up.

One concern I do admit having is that the size of the opening may be to large even with a 4" tip, I was going to go with an Oval shaped tip to fill the area more but could not find even one that was big enough in diameter and short enough in length, most are 8 to 10 inches long....I guess we'll know soon enough, but I feel it's worth the chance.

Stay tuned.(drinks)

Last edited:
thanks, I'm supposed to get the tips on monday, but I realistically won't have them installed until tuesday or wednesday, but I'll definitely take pics. and post different angles from up close and far away and you guys can judge wether it was worth it or not for yourselves.

mazspd6 said:
thanks, I'm supposed to get the tips on monday, but I realistically won't have them installed until tuesday or wednesday, but I'll definitely take pics. and post different angles from up close and far away and you guys can judge wether it was worth it or not for yourselves.

Well, I think it is a viable alternative no matter what.(cool)

mazspd6 said:
First, I opened the Guinness to calm the nerves and get ready.

i think thats the most important step ANY time you work on the car. :D

looks like your on your way to getting a better looking rear end. looking forwawrd to seeing the results.

Great stuff - I must say I thought of this also the first time I saw the pipes, but wasn't sure if it would be possible. Looks like you did this 100% the correct way, but seeing as how low the tips are it would probably be possible to screw this up a little and still make it look just fine to the casual observer. Unfortunately I'm such a perfectionist that it would always bug me if I screwed it up at all:)

Great work,

I`m and also lots of guys from Germany looking forward to the final pics.

Good luck for the final step!

hotknife

Nice job mazspd6! Someone needs to make these. This is not the first time I had seen this done......

Attachments

• untitled 22.bmp
    900.1 KB · Views: 419
Well, I got the tips today and they truly are top notch quality...but that's where the good news stops.

Unfortunately these tips were not as the picture on the website or the picture in my local "KEY Auto parts" catalog showed them as, all I can think is that somewhere along the line maybe Magnaflow changed how they were going to make them and the photo may have been the prototype.

IMG_0414.jpg

The pic. shows the tip having at least a decent amount of straight pipe before it drops off to the 2 1/4" inlet area, not so, it goes for a short distance (as you can see in the pics. below) and then tapers like a cone to the inlet...far from what I wanted.

As the tips are right now they would look great on a Mazdaspeed that did not have the lower bulge cut off as I have done.

I am going to check into another style from a local vendor to see if it will give me the look I am going for, if it does I'll order them and keep you up to date.
I checked with the local vendor..they wanted $79.00 each...performance peddler only wants $50.46 each with free shipping. 1/13/07

Last edited:
Gandalf said:
Great stuff - I must say I thought of this also the first time I saw the pipes, but wasn't sure if it would be possible. Looks like you did this 100% the correct way, but seeing as how low the tips are it would probably be possible to screw this up a little and still make it look just fine to the casual observer. Unfortunately I'm such a perfectionist that it would always bug me if I screwed it up at all:)

I see you used to have a Spec V...didn't you used to be on the B15 website?

Ok, Latest update, I talked to Dan at the Performance Peddler website and he's a good guy and was more than willing to help out, he will wave the 30% restock fee and I will cover the shipping back to him.
Too help reduce any future issue he is having a set of the tips I think will work sent to him directly and he will measure the area I am most concerned with before he ships them out to me to make sure they will work...now that's good service.

I'll keep you up to date as I get more.

Last edited:
Welcome, I used to be b12sentra over their...it's good to see someone else came over to a much better car(burnout)

I wouldn't doubt their are more than you would think that have switched over, good to have some old friends.

I don't want to stray off topic too much here though since I would like to keep this close to a how-to thread as possible.

jachung said:
I used to be on that forum as well. Im a close friend of evangelosk

Well then you gotta be a good guy, I bought some speakers from Evan - he's a good guy. Had some good conversations about stereos with him, but I always give him grief for his home stereo system.

Just a little update, I returned the other tips and have a new set coming, I was unfortunately running into a constant issue with Magnaflow tapering back toward the inlet rather than dropping straight off, which limited my amount of visible straight pipe, so I opted for a much longer tip and I am just going to have my exhaust pipe rerouted and have it done in 2 1/4" so it will fit the tips inlet.
I'll post pics. as I get it done, but that won't be until at least Wednesday when they come in.

Last edited:
Here is a little something extra for you guys if you are interested. My girlfriend has an Acura TSX and upon checking out her exhaust I noticed the tips were about the size I was looking for originally, I wish I had noticed it before, but for anyone who just wants to remove their "cosmetic ring" and have a nice tip instead, this would be the way to go.

All you have to do is remove your ring (just unscrew it) and then attach a 2" I.D. to 2.25" O.D. exhaust adapter, which you can get at any Pep Boys, or most other auto stores and slide it into your exhaust pipe and then get it welded.

The tips on the TSX just have one bolt to loosen and off it comes, check Ebay or your local Acura dealer's parts department for proper pricing.

IMG_04191.jpg

IMG_04171.jpg

IMG_04181.jpg

(tip facing wrong way on this one)

No plastic to trim or anything, it will hide the bolt and won't look as small as here since I trimmed out mine to get rid of the bulge look.

Last edited:
mazspd6 said:
Here is a little something extra for you guys if you are interested. My girlfriend has an Acura TSX and upon checking out her exhaust I noticed the tips were about the size I was looking for originally, I wish I had noticed it before, but for anyone who just wants to remove their "cosmetic ring" and have a nice tip instead, this would be the way to go.

All you have to do is remove your ring (just unscrew it) and then attach a 2" I.D. to 2.25" O.D. exhaust adapter, which you can get at any Pep Boys, or most other auto stores and slide it into your exhaust pipe and then get it welded.

The tips on the TSX just have one bolt to loosen and off it comes, check Ebay or your local Acura dealer's parts department for proper pricing.

IMG_04191.jpg

IMG_04171.jpg

IMG_04181.jpg

(tip facing wrong way on this one)

No plastic to trim or anything, it will hide the bolt and won't look as small as here since I trimmed out mine to get rid of the bulge look.

Great pics, perhaps u can take a pic of the full rear~ that will be more helpful~

Back