Oil Change 3k, 5k, or 7.5k?

jandree22

:
2007 Mazda5
Oil Change 3k, 5k, or 7.5k?

How often do you guys change your oil 3,000mi, 5,000mi, or 7,500mi? The Owners Manual Schedule has you choose between 5k and 7.5k intervals, but common practice is usually 3k.

the oil companies are the only ones that benefit from a 3000 mile oil change. you should be fine with 5000 basedon modern engine manufacture tolerances and modern oil technologies. with full synthetic, you can be good up to 10,000 miles. i believe the new corvette has 15,000 mile oil change intervals. (on mobil 1)

I change mine just cuz im OCD about the damn car every 2500 and keep the reciept(for when we sell it) (if we do)

I change mine between 3-5k miles... USUALLY 3k but I have let it go until 5k. I know I dont HAVE to change my oil that frequently (3k), but I also drive my car harder than "normal driving" so I figure its preventative maintenance... esp. on a turbocharged vehicle.

I approach this differently than most. I analyze the oil and see how far I can go. 5,000 miles has been OK so far, but then we take quite a few extended highway trips. If you really want to know, sample the oil and see.

I’m thinking of opting for the 5k as specified in the OM, but I was sort of caught off guard when the Service Advisor suggested it after 3.5k miles while it was in for unrelated service. I decided to get it changed to at least get the new-car-oil-nasties out of there, plus I had a free oil change coupon from when I bought the car :)

I plan to get another change at 6.5k, then 10k, then 5k intervals from that point on.

The way I read the Maintenance Heavy Duty Driving schedule (which applies to most) oil and filter changes should be done every 5k or every 4 months.

Manual says 5k, I go with 5k. My SRT I change every three. Mazda gets 5w-20 Mobil1, and the Dodge gets 5w-30 Royal Purple.

Oil is cheaper than metal.

I go 8,ooo K with Mobile1. I keep all the receipts to prove I changed the oil according to the manual. I've had the car for 10 months and just crossed 22,000 Km's.

Go full synthetic or dino-oil. The synthetic blend really makes no difference.

I was changing it at 4k using Mobil1, but this last change 2 days ago, the oil didn't really look that bad.

I think I'll change it at 5k the next time and see how it looks and go from there.

Matt

Partsguy said:
I...snip...
Go full synthetic or dino-oil. The synthetic blend really makes no difference.

Actually it is the additive package that makes the difference in Dino's. And a semi-synth typically has a better additive package for high mileage engines.

FWIW, I recommend running mobile 1 5K formula and testing your oil. Do the 5000 test first and establish a base line, then stretch the oil change by 2000 mile intervals until you see changes in the oil results. When you start to see carbons go up, or reductions in esters or oxygenation you are going to far.

Here is a great resource:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

@ 3.75K w/ OEM filter and Exxon 5W-20.

@ 7.5K will go either OEM or PureOne and Mobil 1 0W-20 or 5W-20.

I get the benefit of synthetic protection and maximum (factory allowable) OCI.

Besides, removing lower engine shield is a pain.

Back