Anyone have a Double Din Headunit in a Mazda5?

mazdadude

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOM
:
'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Hello friends,

I am looking to install a after-market double din NAV headunit into the Mazda5, and I was wondering if anyone else has upgraded theirs yet? I am looking for pictures too if possible.

Thank you!

Keep Zooming!

Well, at $184 with shipping, the kit certainly isn't cheap. However it looks like it will match very well.

Here is the link to the install kit on ebay.
eBayISAPI.dll

I really wanted to get navigation when I bought the car, but when I saw that I could replace the stock stereo and get a complete system with DVD/MP3/NAV/Bluetooth/Backup Cam, etc, for the same price, I decided to hold off on the factory Navigation unit.

Last edited:
mazdadude said:
Well, at $184 with shipping, the kit certainly isn't cheap. However it looks like it will match very well.

Here is the link to the install kit on ebay.
eBayISAPI.dll

I really wanted to get navigation when I bought the car, but when I saw that I could replace the stock stereo and get a complete system with DVD/MP3/NAV/Bluetooth/Backup Cam, etc, for the same price, I decided to hold off on the factory Navigation unit.

If you're saving enough money over what you would have paid for factory nav, the extra $200 could be worth it.

dommo_g said:
If you're saving enough money over what you would have paid for factory nav, the extra $200 could be worth it.

While that's true, you'll take the hit when you go to trade in your 5 because anything aftermarket (not OEM) will hurt your resale value. That's why I got the NAV and will keep my HU stock (added speakers, amp and sub however).

...but having NAV doesn't really help the resale value especially years down the road when the software is out-dated. Meanwhile, many aftermarket units allow you to upgrade the software so you can take the whole unit with you and install it in your next car (and put the factory system back in your current car before trade-in).

Kid Red said:
While that's true, you'll take the hit when you go to trade in your 5 because anything aftermarket (not OEM) will hurt your resale value. That's why I got the NAV and will keep my HU stock (added speakers, amp and sub however).

That's not even a valid argument. Anyone truly worried about resale will keep all stock parts. And how much do you think the value is gonna be hit for a nice aftermarket stereo/nav? My guess...$0

And ALL nav units are software updateable, whether it's on HDD or DVD. It's just a matter of who the map data vendor is and how often they release updates.

I would have to agree that aftermarket stereos are not going to increase the resale value of the car. On the other hand, I don't feel that a few years down the road, a used Mazda5 with Nav is going to retail or sell for much more than 500$ more than a non-nav equipped one. Since I am upgrading to make the car more enjoyable for myself and passengers, it is intended to be a luxury and not an investment. More than likely I will retain the stock radio for resale or trade in.

Edit: For what it's worth, and to satisfy my curiosity, I just went to Kelli Blue Book, and the difference in trade in value from a Mazda5 with Nav, to a Mazda5 w/o Nav is $575.

Last edited:
mazdadude said:
Edit: For what it's worth, and to satisfy my curiosity, I just went to Kelli Blue Book, and the difference in trade in value from a Mazda5 with Nav, to a Mazda5 w/o Nav is $575.
Pathetic, yet ultimately, believeable. D'oh!

I really like that dash kit. Dumb question, but I guess the horizontal screen would then just display the clock and HVAC settings?

dommo_g said:
That's not even a valid argument. Anyone truly worried about resale will keep all stock parts. And how much do you think the value is gonna be hit for a nice aftermarket stereo/nav? My guess...$0

And ALL nav units are software updateable, whether it's on HDD or DVD. It's just a matter of who the map data vendor is and how often they release updates.

Huh? You argue the same side as me but say my argument isn't valid??? I lost you you somewhere, unless you meant to reply to someone else.

I posted I went stock NAV because of resale. Also, I've spoken to the NAV people they update their DVDs every 5 years or so and it's rumored the 5 uses the same DVDs as the 3.

Last edited:
Well I ordered the dash kit from speedline, and I am currently looking at the different double din nav units. Looking at 3 that vary in price from 900-1300, Pioneer Kenwood and Clarion. I am looking forward to NAV, and DVD, as well as being able to fill a DVD-R with my MP3's.(ughdance)

Just my opinion, but I'd save the $$ on a NAVI H/U and get a handheld/portable NAVI unit like the Garmin Nuvi350.

the_saint said:
Just my opinion, but I'd save the $$ on a NAVI H/U and get a handheld/portable NAVI unit like the Garmin Nuvi350.

Yes, I seriously considered it, as having a "portable" system is nice. But since I have just the one car, I decided the NAV unit did not have to be portable. In addition, I like clean installs, and can not stand things like radar detectors, nav units, or miniature bobble-head dogs plastered to the dash or window.(help)

However, the idea of upgrading the factory stereo and adding a Nav system, Bluetooth, IPOD, Rear Camera, DVD entertainment, and MP3/WMA capabilities, all in one unit sounded very appealing to me.

ive also been researching the double din stuff and have been eyeing the speedline kit for awhile. my main concern is ipod integration. trying to find the best option, as most units seem to not be able to really scroll through 80GB worth of music. hopefully the new models can handle that kind of load. i am also a stickler for interfaces. being a designer, it amazes me how awful alot of the touchscreen interfaces look and operate. please tell me what models you have been looking at and if you have physically tested any of them out in the flesh. and please please post pictures and updates when you get everything up and running.

Back