Those exhaust tips are hideous

passatglx

One of the biggest disapointments to this car are those exhuast tips. I have no clue what mazda was thinking but there has to be a way to weld the actual muffler tip onto the exhuast finisher so it looks like one peice. If I get this car thats the one thing I'm changing. (pissed)

Last edited:
I hear ya! I have never liked the looks of the tiny little dual tips, they should have been at least 1 inch diameter larger.

EDIT: Actually I was talking about the Mazda6 exhaust tips, not the Mazdaspeed's, haven't seen those yet.

Last edited:
benben84 said:
I hear ya! I have never liked the looks of the tiny little dual tips, they should have been at least 1 inch diameter larger.

Perhaps the reason they installed the fake muffler tips instead of just leaving the stock tips coming out the back were they were thinking ahead.

They could have been thinking about aftermarket exhaust systems with bigger pipes coming out the back and wanting to leave a proper size cut out of the fender for it instead of making people recut the fender themselves.

Just a thought.

No they cheesed out on it....The first dude was right. I would change that also if that's what I buy next.

Ok, I am sick to my stomach of reading these ignorant comments...

Mazda is apparently the only ones thinking...

Go install the Magnaflow exhaust that fills up the bumper tip and WATCH YOUR BUMPER MELT AWAY...

Explain to me how you are going to put a fully functional tip on a PLASTIC BUMPER and expect it not to melt....

Wiggum said:

Go install the Magnaflow exhaust that fills up the bumper tip and WATCH YOUR BUMPER MELT AWAY...

Explain to me how you are going to put a fully functional tip on a PLASTIC BUMPER and expect it not to melt....
This man is exactly right....you dummies apparently dont know how these tips look after about 3days of driving...there black! From all the exhaust fumes and guess what? If those tips werent there the paint on the bumper would be destroyed. Thats why they put them there. and I for one think they look pretty good as well as many others who actually own one.
dummies(poke)

You do it like any other manufacturer does it. Look at the Acura TL. Or
g_ext12.jpg

I have to say I really like the way the tips look. Really unless you know any different or are really inspecting them it looks like functional tips, and I love the way it incorporates into the bumper housing.

Wiggum said:

Easy tiger. Instead of saying how stupid mazda and everybody else is regarding the exhaust/bumper come up wth a viable mod to "Fix" what you deem to be so terrible. (poke)

For the sake of argument..I have Magnaflows on my Acura and have never had a melting or black discoloration issue. Take a looksie.

showpic.php

Last edited:
The magnaflow piping on the MS6 is small anyway. Better off going custom or with cpe until something better comes along.

1killercls said:
For the sake of argument..I have Magnaflows on my Acura and have never had a melting or black discoloration issue. Take a looksie.

showpic.php
That is a regular bumper.... heat treated paint, probably a strong polyeurathane...

This on the other hand, is not...

mazda6_mps_02.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wiggum you may be something at the other site but here your not as respected and that may just be a slight blow to your ego. This site has way less of what you will call flaming and much more civil conversation.

Plus I can post a link just fine. SEE

IMG_0522.jpg

But back on topic if you properly install the Magnaflow kit there will be no melting and no blackness. I agree that the stock stuff looks like poop when you find out that it is all for show and not the actual tip.

Speed6 Guy said:
Wiggum you may be something at the other site but here your not as respected and that may just be a slight blow to your ego. This site has way less of what you will call flaming and much more civil conversation.

Plus I can post a link just fine. SEE

IMG_0522.jpg

But back on topic if you properly install the Magnaflow kit there will be no melting and no blackness. I agree that the stock stuff looks like poop when you find out that it is all for show and not the actual tip.
If this site was designed for civil conversation why can't I post mazda6 club without it being deleted???

Anyways, if you go to the vids/pics section of the site I mentioned and search "Melted" you will see what happens when you eliminate the plastic heat protectors...

And saying that there will be "no blackness" with the Magnaflow exhaust installed is not possible, the "blackness" is from unburnt fuel that could only be eliminated by leaning the car out....

As I have said before, those "fake" exhaust tips, are VERY funcional...

Wiggum this site has rules just like the site you use that we shall not mention. So maybe just deal with it.

I was not saying that there will be no blackness at all just not as much. With the stock exhaust the tip is set back (without looking 3 in. into the bumper) and then the foe tip is set out flush with the bumper cover. This in turn makes something of a jump that the unburned gas must make and it lands on the foe tip. That is way there are so much of the carbon/unburned gas stains on it. The magnaflow kit will take that away and let that spray just fly out and not catch it.

The reason the bumper was melting is because the tip was not in the canter of the hole in the bumper. Just because the kit says bolt on doesnt mean it will fit perfectly. You may need to make some adjustments to it.

Wow this has gotten out of hand. All that was said is that they made large nice looking outlets in front of 2 skinny cheesy looking pipes. All they needed to do was eliminate the bottom plastic section below the pipe and make it like every other friggin car out there with duals. Take a look at the Lexus pics I posted. They have just normal looking tips hanging below the plastic rear bumper. Instead Mazda made overly decrotive(sp) outlets with retarted skinny pipes behind it. If you get too close they simply look dumb.
Oh yea I am selling my car
V
V

Speed6 Guy said:
Wiggum this site has rules just like the site you use that we shall not mention. So maybe just deal with it.

And this happens to be the only site I've come across in roughly 3 years with that kind of a rule. And this includes all kinds of sites... Mustang, G35, 350Z, Legacy GT, VAG, GTI, RX-8, and non-automotive sites too. It's their place and if that's how they want to run it, that's there business. That is one of the major reasons why I hardly post here.

I was not saying that there will be no blackness at all just not as much. With the stock exhaust the tip is set back (without looking 3 in. into the bumper) and then the foe tip is set out flush with the bumper cover. This in turn makes something of a jump that the unburned gas must make and it lands on the foe tip. That is way there are so much of the carbon/unburned gas stains on it. The magnaflow kit will take that away and let that spray just fly out and not catch it.

The RX-8 has the same black tips/unburned fuel thing going on as well. It doesn't change no matter what catback you use on it.

The reason the bumper was melting is because the tip was not in the canter of the hole in the bumper. Just because the kit says bolt on doesnt mean it will fit perfectly. You may need to make some adjustments to it.

Read about other people's installs. The exhaust hangers allow a fair amount of movement of the exhaust system. Adjust it as you wish, but it'll need up being too close anyay.

The ones who are protecting Mazda for the "fake rear diffuser" probably own the car already and I didn't mean to get your panties all in a bunch. I've never seen a fake exhaust like the speed6. Maybe on some 17 year olds dodge neon, but not on a 30k Speed6. The designer at Mazda who made those tips and rear diffuser should be fired. (pissed)

Woah people. Opinions respected please. I too have thought the same about the exhaust tips. I love the rest of the car but was disappointed when I looked closely at that one design element. Sure, other cars have incorporated the same idea including many classic 50's Ford Thunderbirds and Corvettes. Though their execution of the design was fluid and not disrupted by such seperation from functional to asthetic. Simply put, I think Mazda designers wanted a unique look but could only afford from a practical standpoint what we see today.

Back