racing and redlining

Karma_hunden

:
'04 protege, then '05 mazda 3i, then '06 MS6 GT, now '10 RX8 R3
Ok, so Im getting to knw the car and I was wondering if any of you knew exactly or approximately the redlining speed of each gear.

Also, Im heading over to a track this weekend and i was wondering if any of you had any good tips to get the best 1/4mile run. I have never raced this car from a stop, so i dont know how much should I rev it up before i dump the clutch.

I would like to make this the official racing thread, for you to share any experiences, your kills list, you raped list (opposite of kill list), tips, etc.

Thank you!!

Karma_hunden said:
Ok, so Im getting to knw the car and I was wondering if any of you knew exactly or approximately the redlining speed of each gear.

Also, Im heading over to a track this weekend and i was wondering if any of you had any good tips to get the best 1/4mile run. I have never raced this car from a stop, so i dont know how much should I rev it up before i dump the clutch.

I would like to make this the official racing thread, for you to share any experiences, your kills list, you raped list (opposite of kill list), tips, etc.

Thank you!!

Redlining won't work well. Don't shift above 6000rpm except for 1st gear.

I've had good runs shifting 1st@6200, 2nd@6000, 3rd@6000. Last weekend I tried shifting 6200, 5900, 5700 and it seemed to work better. Stay in 4th gear and ride it out to the end.

As for launching start at 3500rpm. I recommend this so if you screw up the clutch won't take as bad of a beating. You can't dump the clutch on this car. You will end up bogging and looking pretty foolish. You need to slip the clutch so you get forward motion then you dump it. If you do it right you'll get a low 1.8s 60'. And doing it right is not easy at first. Doing the same technic at 4500rpm can yield 1.7s 60' times. It's addictive :)

My personal best is a 13.950@97mph using 6200, 6000, 6000. And I got a 13.960@99mph shifting 6200, 5900, 5700 (Humidity was 100% and the car was running a little slower, I think these shift points are the best). I still need to work on my shifting. Especially the 1-2 shift. The turbo seems to spool down very quickly. I've never actually hit that shift perfectly... Yet I can on the other gears. I'm probably losing .2s as the turbo spools back up.

I ran a 13.9 with pretty much the same shift points but instead of riding out 4th gear I shifted to 5th. I was running a consistent 14.0-14.1....Then I started riding out 4th gear and ran a consistent 14.28(like 10times out of 15). I never broke the 14.1 mark ridin out 4th.

btf said:
Redlining won't work well. Don't shift above 6000rpm except for 1st gear.

I've had good runs shifting 1st@6200, 2nd@6000, 3rd@6000. Last weekend I tried shifting 6200, 5900, 5700 and it seemed to work better. Stay in 4th gear and ride it out to the end.

As for launching start at 3500rpm. I recommend this so if you screw up the clutch won't take as bad of a beating. You can't dump the clutch on this car. You will end up bogging and looking pretty foolish. You need to slip the clutch so you get forward motion then you dump it. If you do it right you'll get a low 1.8s 60'. And doing it right is not easy at first. Doing the same technic at 4500rpm can yield 1.7s 60' times. It's addictive :)

My personal best is a 13.950@97mph using 6200, 6000, 6000. And I got a 13.960@99mph shifting 6200, 5900, 5700 (Humidity was 100% and the car was running a little slower, I think these shift points are the best). I still need to work on my shifting. Especially the 1-2 shift. The turbo seems to spool down very quickly. I've never actually hit that shift perfectly... Yet I can on the other gears. I'm probably losing .2s as the turbo spools back up.

some good advice there

good advice!! So should I ride out 4th or hit 5th?

what if i rev it up to 4500 before (slippin the clutch to have a forward motion) dumping the clutch? Do i get a better launch or is 3500rpm the perfect rev?

Karma_hunden said:
good advice!! So should I ride out 4th or hit 5th?

what if i rev it up to 4500 before (slippin the clutch to have a forward motion) dumping the clutch? Do i get a better launch or is 3500rpm the perfect rev?

You'll definetly get a better time doing a 4500rpm launch. But I would start with 3500rpm at first. If you're getting 2.000+ 60' times you're doing it wrong. If you slip the clutch too much at very high rpm's that can't be good.

As for riding out 4th gear or shifting into 5th. I'm still on the fence on that one. I tried shifting into 5th once and I got a 14.1. Several people who have gotten 13.7's rode out 4th gear.

I ran a 13.8 in a Grand Touring with Catback and CAI.

4500 feathered launch

shiftpoints I did based on my boost gauge if it fell I power shifted.......
If you don't have one just shift around 5800 my pull was into 5th gear also

1.82 60ft I ran anywhere from 14.2-13.8 that night. I can't wait to go back out there

so how do you do it if ya want to launch at 4500? do you still try to slip the clutch?

i tried it today and regardless of the fact i let go of the accelerator and tried to shift fast, my friend kept saying he thought power shifting wasnt a good idea and that it was better if i let out the clutch a bit slower. I dont know. What do you guys think about that?

Karma_hunden said:
so how do you do it if ya want to launch at 4500? do you still try to slip the clutch?

i tried it today and regardless of the fact i let go of the accelerator and tried to shift fast, my friend kept saying he thought power shifting wasnt a good idea and that it was better if i let out the clutch a bit slower. I dont know. What do you guys think about that?
Let the clutch out as if you were driving normally...only keep the rpms up to 4500...once the clutch grabs put the accelerator to the floor.

how about during shiftig? Do i hit and dump the clutch fast when changing gears or should i take off the clutch a bit slower? cuz i feel im powershifting even though i take the foot off the gas just before i shift.

By the way. I need to update some stuff..

first ones to join my kill list:

04 (friend) mustang GT (cold air intake, downpipe and exhaust)
0? 350z (mods unknown-from a stop)
06/07 GTI (stock i suppose-from a stop)
05 scion tC (lol i know, i like to mess with the -200whp's...it was a friend's car...since i was always competing in that category with my mazda3...its payback time beeches!!)
0? rx8 (mods unknown-40mph rolling)
civic Si (Two f'in 16 year olds kept reving it up on everylight until i finally gave up...that smoking felt so good)
05 (friend) mazda6 (on the highway-70mph)
0? mazda3s (decided to stick/eavesdrop on the mazda6 vs me race...tried to keep up)

rape list (oppossite of kill list):

0? Audi S4 (mods unknown-70mph highway roll-on)
0? porsche cayman (from a stop-by barely a car...maybe a car n' a half after the 1/4mile lol)
06 Evo (friend) (intake and exhaust)

thats about it...as you can see...i pick my battles lol

post yours!!

Last edited:
is it good to deactivate the DSC during 40mph + roll ons? does it do any differece?

Kills

05 Saturn Redline (Aftercooler,Intake,Heat Exchanger) beat him by 4 cars
02 WRX Mods Unknown
99 SI Mods Unknown but it was pretty quick

thats it for know just got the speed6 last week

have any of u guys ran srt 4's. and is 4 5 the best for launching cuz ive seen ppl launch like at 6 5

6.5k!? f'in morons. Their cars are probably leased. Last weekend I met this msp6 guy that rev his up to 5.5k for launch, but his car was leased...thats what he said everytime i called him a moron. He also power-shifted @ 7k EVERY single gear.

Anyways, quick lesson. The reason AWD cars cant do burn outs (without SERIOUSLY damaging the car) is because all four wheels are not able to realease the torque, and all the tension goes to the transmission AND THAT....fcks it up.

lately i have been having problems getting to 4th gear while i race....seems like it wont let me...at first i thought i just missed it, then the second time i said "fck i suck", then a third time it was just not me, and a fourth completly pissed me off...i have done it before without problems, now, why wont it let me go to 4th gear (i reved it to 5900-6000rpm)!? i tried shifting at 5800 (not with the gas 100% down, a bit less rough) and it let me just fine.

So whats the problem? Am I doing something wrong? or is there something wrong with the car?

Kind of confused....what do you mean about "not at 100%...a bit less rough"?

Also, what does it do when you try to go to 4th? Is it acting like there is a block of sorts in the gate?

Wayne

Back