Need to mount Yakima or Thule bike carrier on roof

Thom_y

I was all set to buy a CX-7, after two test rides (last one on the highway). Yet, the deal breaker may be that the vehicle doesn't have factory installed side rails on the roof that would allow me to install either Yakima or Thule bike carrier accessories. There is a Mazda optional accessory roof rack, but it has horizontal crossbars (rather than siderails) and this does not allow you to install many types of upright Yakima (e.g. Cobra) or Thule fork-mounted bike carriers (e.g. Velo Vise).

For a sport activity vehicle, I can't understand why they omitted side rails, or did not make them an option. Meanwhile, as the vehicle is so new, neither Yakima or Thule has a fit kit to put one of their after market roof racks on. I really want to solve this before our annual summer holiday as I need to mount 4 bikes on the roof. The rear type of bike carrier is not an option I would consider.

you don't need siderails. Yakima and Thule will make (if they are not already in production) the clips to mount either yakima or thule crossbars to the roof. Many roof-racks don't use factory siderails.

edit: just read that you looked and the clips aren't out yet. if you like the car, it's worth the wait for the clips to come out.

I can't wait that long ...

The issue is I need to travel with 4 bike this summer and I can't wait 'til Yakima or Thule comes up with a fit kit of some sort down the road.

Duct tape ???

I really don't like the rear carriers, as I have this false sense of security that my expensive road bike is a little more secure on the roof rather than the back. Plus there are issues with the bikes banging into each other, obscurring the rear window visibility, and scratching the back of the vehicle. Plus, I also would use ski racks on roof etc.

I would have bought the car last week if there were side rails or I had a Yakima or Thule fit kit.

Thom_y said:
The issue is I need to travel with 4 bike this summer and I can't wait 'til Yakima or Thule comes up with a fit kit of some sort down the road.

That sucks. The CX-7 is fun to drive... I was making excuses this weekend to go out and drive, and to locations farther away than I normally go. Or instead of taking the fastest route, I'd take an alternate path that let me drive more.

But if you need to move bikes and the CX-7 doesn't let you, then it sounds like it's not an option yet.

Can you keep your old vehicle for a couple months until the fit kits you want become available?

Great News

Just got an email from Yakima. They have just figured out a fix for the CX-7. This may help others as well, so I will share it here:

Tower/Attachment Q towers
crossbar length: 58" cross bars
Front clips/Landing pads: Q99-E
Rear clips/Landing pads: Q99-E
Fairing 50"

This can hold up to 5 bikes ... wow !

Thom_y said:
Just got an email from Yakima. They have just figured out a fix for the CX-7. This may help others as well, so I will share it here:

Tower/Attachment Q towers
crossbar length: 58" cross bars
Front clips/Landing pads: Q99-E
Rear clips/Landing pads: Q99-E
Fairing 50"

This can hold up to 5 bikes ... wow !

Thanks! You saved me some legwork in getting the right specs... yesterday I ordered that setup from ORS racks direct.

Back