Where is the filter located on the 2.3L?

MD5

:
06 Carbon Gray Touring 5
Where is the oil filter on the 5?

I looked in the owner's manual, but it doesn't say where the filter is, only that the dealer should do it because it takes a special tool to tighten the filter.

What is the "tool" they are referring to?

Thanks,
Matt

MD5 said:

I looked in the owner's manual, but it doesn't say where the filter is, only that the dealer should do it because it takes a special tool to tighten the filter.

Thanks,
Matt

The "tool" is a glorified filter cup, available at any auto parts store. It's one of those that fits on the end of a 3/8 ratchet. I'm not sure of the size, but it's in a Mazda kit with 4 or 5 other cups.
You have to use the cup because the 5 has a cartridge filter (like all 2.3L Mazda motors), and there is a black plastic cap under the car with a small silver drain plug in the center of it that needs to be removed, the filter is inside that cap.

As to where it is..... if you look under the front of your 5, there is a large (maybe 5" diameter) hole in the sheild ahead of the oil pan. Just to the right (or to the left if you're sitting in the driver's seat) of the hole is the filter. So yes, the sheild will have to be removed unless you like making messes....

And even though I work for a dealer that's not why I STRESS that you use a FACTORY FILTER only, and replace the o-rings that come with it every time. Aftermarket o-rings are known to tear and leak out all the oil.

Thanks for the info. I'll stock up on the filters (OEM) and I'm lucky to have a friend with a shop and 8 lifts. It's a breeze to do changes there.

Matt

MD5 said:

I actually changed my oil today. Couldn't find my old oil filter wrench thing, so I ended up using my bare hands. I didn't think it was going to work.
After I drained all the oil from the pan, and the drain plug in the filter cover, I just grabbed the thing with both hands and started twisting. It wasn't THAT hard to get off...
I put it back on the same way too...

And I used a Mann filter. looked to be really high quality... so we'll see... so far so good... (cool)

the Mann filter is actually better quality than that ford crap that the mazda dealers sell

Oil filter

MD5 and whomever..
I looked at the Ford filter and the Mazda filter and they appear comparible. Is there any probs using the Ford one as the dealer is in my town and the Mazda dealer is a 45 min drive ?
As well the Ford filter is made in USA/Mexico and the Mazda one in made in
Gr. Britain.
Thanks !(enguard)

Medicain Man

Call your Mazda Dealer for feedback only... don't screw around to save a buc as you will see some have caused damage using the WRONG filter.

You remember the number ask for Parts again and pose the question..

Either the Ford or Mazda filter is fine.

We actually had to use Ford filters for awhile when the Mazda filters went on backorder. The filter that fits the Mazda 2.3L fits the Ford Escape Hybrid.

It was getting dark tonight and I didn't feel like fighting the shield so I worked through the hole to get the filter out. Don't know how to take off the shield off anyways....loosened a few screws and it didn't move... Why put a hole there if you need to take the shield off? Go figure. Put some Mobil1 in with a factory filter....changed the o-rings....when for a test drive and floored it hard multiple times. Looked really good. Now I have to do my Mazdaspeed6...the auto parts store didn't have any 5W-30 Mobil1 Extended though :(

You might be able to save money if you buy and stock up on a few filters online from some place like ProtegeGarage that offers free shipping and no sales tax charge (unless you're in the same State).

holy crap!! didn't you get oil all over the shield? I think the hole is there just fo visual inspection... check for leaks after an oil change... it's a piece of cake to get off. like 6 bolts and a couple christmas trees. check my other post...

MD5 said:

Thanks,
Matt

My local Mazda dealer *would not* sell me a wrench so I looked around and found it. The tool to loosen/tighten the oil filter is a 75.6mm, 14-flute cap that you attach to a 3/8" ratchet (or driver). The part number listed in another thread was AKS75140, but it appears AKS76140 will do the job. It's the only wrench that onlinemazdaparts.com lists for the 2.3L engine for $20 + s/h.

Here in Central NY I searched Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, and finally found it at Pep Boys - a 76mm/14-flute jobby for $2.99.

Back