Anyone know current pricing on a 5?

MD5

:
06 Carbon Gray Touring 5
I talked to a dealer in North Dallas today, I'm looking at a 2006 Mazda 5 Touring manual in Platinum gray. His first offer was a hundred dollars over invoice, or $18,607. Is this a reasonable deal on this vehicle?

I've looked at the "what did you pay" thread, but thought I'd get more exposure in a new thread.

Thanks,

Matt

A few hundred over invoice is never a good deal! Always pay sticker +addendum. :p
Is $300 profit on an 19,000+ car too much to pay? Check edmunds.com and see what others in your area are paying and call a couple other places if you're not sure. When it comes to buying cars, I've found that there's always a better deal. It'll just get to a point where time=money. If you spend a month bouncing from dealer to dealer you're going to save a lot at first, but then you'll get to the bottom and it's going to be a matter of saving $15 here, $20 there. The 5 has gotten kinda cold lately and if you don't NEED the car you're looking at right now and aren't too picky, you can wait to the end of the month and make them a lower offer. Maybe a bit under invoice if you're lucky... There's just not much mark-up on these cars and no rebates. Even the holdback's not very much, so I don't think you're going to get much lower.

You are definately right about the research.

I called Freeman Mazda and right off the bat the guy asked me if he offered me $17 to $17.5 would it get me to come in?

I told him it sure would. He said that they sell a LOT of cars, and they were the first to sell Mazda in Texas. I think if I can get it near $17k for a Carbon Gray Touring manual, then that will be my car.

Thanks,

Matt

It looks like others are paying (according to Edmunds) around $18,880.

Matt

I think the 17-17.5 he offered you is for a sport. sounds a little too good.

Last edited:
Puckpimp71 said:
I think the 17-17.5 he offered you is for a sport. sounds a little too good.

Either that or it's a demo. I'll find out when I go up there on Monday.
But I asked him if it was a touring when I heard his price and he repeated that it was a touring.

Matt

$100 over invoice is a good deal depending on what they want to charge you for D&H. Straight invoice is better. It's a fair deal for both parties.

I went to look at it this morning, and brought it home. It IS a touring, and I got it for $17,629 + TT&L and all the misc BS (title fee, documentation fee, complimentary drink fee...... ).

Matt

How much did the 'fees' add up to? Our Touring manual was ostensibly $18,300 (a couple of minor port options were on it), which was a little below 'invoice,' but this dealer charges a total of ~$485 in 'fees.' In the end it was a good deal but no better than another place that charged invoice or a little above but with only ~$100-$150 in 'fees.'

bulwnkl said:
How much did the 'fees' add up to? Our Touring manual was ostensibly $18,300 (a couple of minor port options were on it), which was a little below 'invoice,' but this dealer charges a total of ~$485 in 'fees.' In the end it was a good deal but no better than another place that charged invoice or a little above but with only ~$100-$150 in 'fees.'

No extra "fees" except for the "documentation fee" which was $50. The rest of the stuff was Tax, Title, License, Registration, Inspection, etc... Everything you normally pay in Texas for a car. There were no "hidden fees" because I scoured the document before signing. This isn't my first rodeo.

Matt

MD5 said:
I went to look at it this morning, and brought it home. It IS a touring, and I got it for $17,629 + TT&L and all the misc BS (title fee, documentation fee, complimentary drink fee...... ).

Matt
Congrats!

gimpo2 said:
so you got it? www.dfwmazdas.com man (naughty)

Yes, got it yesterday, and got the windows tinted today ($180). I'm seriously considering having the shop put on a film that protects the front from rocks/bugs but it runs $650 for the front facia, 18" of the hood, and both mirrors. That is a little pricey, but if it works, I guess it is well worth it.

I saw the club, but right now I have 2 kids ages 7 and 10, and between hockey, guitar lessons, and baseball I don't have socializing time, besides, who wants to hang out with a 38 year old?

I just sold my 2003 Mustang GT with a Kenne Bell 9lb Twin Screw Supercharger, it was making over 470 at the crank, and over 400 RWHP. I didn't find much time to go to Mustang club meets, and I have the feeling that I wouldn't have much time for a Mazda club either.

Thanks for the link, I'm trying to gather as much info on Mazdas as I can. This is my first Mazda, but I have had several Hondas (never modded though).

Matt

Puckpimp71 said:
Not if you're the sales person.
Yeah. Whatever. You're probably the only person that wants to make sure you pay more for the car just so the salesman can line his pockets. You go right ahead and spend that extra money.

I sell cars. Cars are the only retail market where people b**** about paying 5% profit. How much mark-up did the computer company make off you? 200%? And the clothes you have on? 500%? I don't mind giving good deals, but it's the dumb ***** that think we don't deserve to get paid that piss me off. God forbid a sales person make $75 for 5 hours of their time...

Last edited:
lostinthefog said:
I am a car salesman too (mazda/infiniti). It really is amazing how people come in and think they deserve to get things at "invoice", yet the shirt they have on probably has a 500 percent markup, and they think they got a hell of a deal.

I don't even mind coming off sticker, but a fair deal is when both parties are happy. Plus, if I spend 5 days trying to get you to buy a 100 dollar car, chances are, your follow up customer service from me wouldn't be too good.. well for me it would becuase I know how to do my job, but for most people it wouldn't.

Also something else that gets me, is people are so focused on the invoice, they don't even realize, well alot of them at least, that the car lot's biggest cash cow is the back end of the deal. Interest Rate, F&I. You are so amped about getting your car at "invoice", you forgot to notice the extra 3 percent interest you are paying for the car, which on a 20 thousand dollar car is 600 dollars

I bought my car and financed it through the dealer. I called my insurance company to drop my old car and cover the 5, and they asked me if I financed it through them (USAA). I told them that I had not, but that I would call the next day. The next day I realized that I titled the car to my home address instead of my PO Box, and called the dealership to change it. They said that I needed to come in to sign new paperwork, so I came in around noon. I went home and called USAA and they offered me 2.25% lower interest rate than the dealer, and free GAP insurance. This was around 2pm. I called the dealership back to have them hold the paperwork so I could bring them a check from USAA, and wouldn't you know it, the paperwork had already been submitted and it was IMPOSSIBLE to recall it (yea, right).

I find it funny that when they see some of their profit about to leave, they become protective.

Matt

Come to So Cal

I've been watching local pricing for 6 months... Long Beach Mazda is offering $2000 below MSRP. I don't really undstand why this vehicle isn't doing as well in So Cal. For me it had everything we wanted in a car... 4cyl, 5 speed manual, lots of seating.

Back