Gas? Where to get?

PerfectXtreme

:
Mazdaspeed6 GT
Anyone have any real facts on which gas stations are good.. which aren't?

Currently, i've been using ONLY Chevron. But if anyone has real facts or info about which station is better or worse... Myself, and i'm sure many others would be really greatful!

PerfectXtreme said:
Currently, i've been using ONLY Chevron. But if anyone has real facts or info about which station is better or worse... Myself, and i'm sure many others would be really greatful!

Used to be that Sunoco over on the east coast offered "Ultra 94." I don't know when they stopped offering 94, but all the Sunoco stations around here only seem to offer "Ultra 93" now. I suppose the difference of a single octane point is insignificant, and who knows how accurate that is anyway, but I had made it a point that I was only going to get Sunoco 94. I've had to settle for 93.

It's my perception, if not fact, that the big names are where you want to get your gasoline. Around here, that would be Sunoco, Shell, Exxon/Mobil (I have personally boycotted this particular corporation), BP/Amoco, Gulf, Citgo, Chevron, etc.

I have been told that all those little stations with "lesser known" brands buy their gasoline from the same refineries, but that the standard of quality might not be as high.

All I know is that I once bought a tankfull of gas from Valero or some other little outfit, and my car didn't run right for a month.

YMMV

You pretty much listed every big name station... I've been looking around doing my own research... But with all the Mazda owners.. turbo owners... and perfrmance car people on this site...

Someone has to know some facts about which gas company / station is better or worse than the others...

I live on the west coast FYI...

Seems like a good site... And it lists the company i've been using which is another good thing...

Now I just need to find places that sell higher than 91... See if I notice a difference at all...

Heh... Lowly non-turbo =)...

But yeah... 87 is not "fine"... We have enough problems with the ECU pulling boost out from underneath us as it is...

Let alone a knock sensor bending our HP and torque over for some good anel lovin...

I've been using 91-92.. whatever I find... and no problem really.. but i'd really like to try 93-94 for a while... And eventualy some 101.. or similar... Just to see what its like...

I've done some reading and fuel additives to increase octane are more or less bad ideas... and the MS6 book says not to use any of that stuff...

I filled up my tank last week with a 50/50 mixture of 100 and 91 octane. The performance gain was marginal, as the benefits are really only seen driving hard like at a race track.

I did crack 150mph last week on the way to vegas, damn this car is smooth at high speed.

91 is all I can find... Anyone know some big name retailers for 100+ octane? Little to no attendants in the LA area speak english... or would understand what i'm looking for If I asked about 100+ octane...

is it just me or does anyone else get bad milage when they use crown gas?
i sorta like BP and citgo. shell tends to be too pricey for me
any one hear of freestate? there's a couple in this area and each one is real big. just you can only use cash to pay, which isn't bad for me cuz thats how i always pay.

ya all i use is shell, chevron or texaco. and only 92 octane. if i am bc i get some 94 but that does not last long.

from what i have heard,read is all companies get their gas from the same pipeline. it is just each companies additives that are diffrent. plus their quality control procedures. (i.e. water in tanks)

rob

most oil comanys have tons of workers here in the houston area. a friend of mine that works for shell in the R&D told me that it was funny when shell came out with thier latest "super" (cant remember what it was called) because the people working there had all said "We finally created a solution almost as good as chevron with techron." ever since he told me that i only goto chevron. and so does he.

Yup... chevron 4 life.... or so it seems... Never had problems with their gas, then again I don't remember having problems with any gas i've used. And everywhere down here in cali that i've seen is 91!!! It sucks!

Oregon is mostly 92... but 94 is nowhere to be found =(

PerfectXtreme said:
Yup... chevron 4 life.... or so it seems... Never had problems with their gas, then again I don't remember having problems with any gas i've used. And everywhere down here in cali that i've seen is 91!!! It sucks!

Oregon is mostly 92... but 94 is nowhere to be found =(

I don't have a full list handy, but if you want some 100 octane and you are near Pomona/Chino Hills, there is a 76 that sells it. 16 VILLAGE LOOP RD, POMONA, CA 91766

60/71 Fwy

Chris-BE said:
I don't have a full list handy, but if you want some 100 octane and you are near Pomona/Chino Hills, there is a 76 that sells it. 16 VILLAGE LOOP RD, POMONA, CA 91766

60/71 Fwy

Nother speed6 in Riverside.. Nice =)

I'm actually visiting a friend down here... Installing BOV in appartment complex parking lot is .... interesting... Hope my CAI gets here soon!!!

Anyway thanks... I'll have to look into that 100 junk... see if I notice any difference running higher than 91...

PerfectXtreme said:
Nother speed6 in Riverside.. Nice =)

I'm actually visiting a friend down here... Installing BOV in appartment complex parking lot is .... interesting... Hope my CAI gets here soon!!!

Anyway thanks... I'll have to look into that 100 junk... see if I notice any difference running higher than 91...

I filled up 1/2 of the tank with 100 and half 91. I was heading to Vegas and thought the desert highway would be a fun playground.

It was, I got to play with (umm RUN OVER) one of those turbo bugs, as well as a G35, and a Roush Mustang.

I even got to the limiter. Topped 150mph!

My BOV came in today, I'll see if I can get it on tomorrow. CAI should be here soon.

Back