Autolocks on Mazda5?

Yeah, this is a major grip with me about the 5. Doors locked is the safest way to drive considering accidental door openings and carjacking attempts, but the 5 wont do it. Even a previous manual tranny car I had locked the doors when you hit 8mph or so for the first time during your drive. Oh well

jandree22 said:
Yeah, this is a major grip with me about the 5. Doors locked is the safest way to drive considering accidental door openings and carjacking attempts, but the 5 wont do it. Even a previous manual tranny car I had locked the doors when you hit 8mph or so for the first time during your drive. Oh well

This was not a big deal for me. If I'm in an accident, I'd like for someone to be able to open the door and help me. If I'm in a "bad section of town," I'll just manually lock the doors. That protects me from carjackings AND if I'm in an accident, from someone opening the doors and stealing stuff!

A bigger gripe of mine is all doors have to be closed before the remote will lock the doors. It's more convenient to open the sliding door, lock all the doors, put the key in my pocket, then grab bags or babies. Nothing major, just something I was use to on our Mountaineer.

MFive said:
This was not a big deal for me. If I'm in an accident, I'd like for someone to be able to open the door and help me. If I'm in a "bad section of town," I'll just manually lock the doors. That protects me from carjackings AND if I'm in an accident, from someone opening the doors and stealing stuff!

A bigger gripe of mine is all doors have to be closed before the remote will lock the doors. It's more convenient to open the sliding door, lock all the doors, put the key in my pocket, then grab bags or babies. Nothing major, just something I was use to on our Mountaineer.

Being not able to lock all the doors with one open is a very positive thing. (very forward thinking too!) prevents a lot of situations where you are accidentally locked out of your car. My previous cars did this. Honda's and Suzuki's without power locks all required me to lock the drivers door with the Key from the outside! The only car I had that allowed me to power lock all the doors with one open was my Dodge stratus, not the best of designs!

Auto (speed controlled) locks would be nice. The alarm system in my Stratus did that. Nice upgrade!

MFive said:
A bigger gripe of mine is all doors have to be closed before the remote will lock the doors.
In my wifes Solara, the fob makes electronic beeping noises (not honk) when you lock (beep) and unlock (beep-beep) the doors. Well, if I lock the doors with the fob and a door isnt shut, the normally single beep stays on continuously until the door is shut. So sometimes when I think my wife has shut the door, Ill hit lock and get a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Annoying and embarrassing! haha

was98strat said:
Being not able to lock all the doors with one open is a very positive thing. (very forward thinking too!) prevents a lot of situations where you are accidentally locked out of your car. My previous cars did this. Honda's and Suzuki's without power locks all required me to lock the drivers door with the Key from the outside! The only car I had that allowed me to power lock all the doors with one open was my Dodge stratus, not the best of designs!

I see your points, however, I'd rather have control of that situation as opposed to my vehicle controlling it. It's up to me to not lock the keys in the car. Besides, I usually have another key in the house if something does happen.

I'm also one of those who would rather lock the doors myself, when I want to. One other thing I don't like about the Mz5 keyless entry is if you unlock the doors remotely but don't open them right away, they lock themselves back up again. Grrr.

Jon

jlk_250 said:
One other thing I don't like about the Mz5 keyless entry is if you unlock the doors remotely but don't open them right away, they lock themselves back up again.
That can be aggravating, but it's also nice if you inadvertently bump the unlock button on your fob while you're pocketing your keys on the way into the office/mall/home.

MFive said:
This was not a big deal for me. If I'm in an accident, I'd like for someone to be able to open the door and help me.

I've heard that locked doors are less likely to come open in an accident. And if it's a bad enough accident that someone has to get you out, they'll probably being the jaws to do so and locked/unlocked isn't going to matter.

For me I'd like to have the lock.

My point of view is if the accident is minor and you are conscious then you can probably unlock the doors yourself.

If it was so sever that the accident rendered you unconscious then there are probably some broken windows anyway so somone else can just as easily reach in and unlock the doors.

Install an alarm most offer this as an option...

This is the first car I have purchased in a while that didn't do this...and as for the concern in a wreck on my Jeep's & Subaru's when you pull the handle to open the door that unlocks it.

I have 2009 Mazda5 and I'm absolutely sure that when we took car from dealer the doors automatically closed when i start to drive and then doors will be opened when I remove key from ignition. Then something happened and I lost this feature. Can somebody help to restore it.

I have 2009 Mazda5 and I'm absolutely sure that when we took car from dealer the doors automatically closed when i start to drive and then doors will be opened when I remove key from ignition. Then something happened and I lost this feature. Can somebody help to restore it.
My '09 hasn't done anything like this. Thankfully. I'm one of those who would rather lock the doors myself, or leave them unlocked most of the time.

If this "feature" is an option in the '09, it will be discussed in the owner's manual. Start reading, if you find anything let us know.

My 09 won't do it and there's nothing in the manual. I don't believe this feature exists in NA.

My 2008 Mazda5 automatically locks when I start the car.
I thought all Mazda 5s were like that but I guess not. (learn something new everyday). It automatically unlocks the driver's door when the ignition is turned off.

We just kept the factory alarm in the car when we purchased it. The auto locking is probably a function of the alarm.

Interesting. Do you have the owner's booklet of your factory alarm?
I'm thinking maybe we have this feature in our MAZDA5 and needs only some
set up to activate.

Personally I hate auto locks. Drives me nuts when I'm a passenger in someone's car and have to unlock the door before I can get out.

Interesting. Do you have the owner's booklet of your factory alarm?
I'm thinking maybe we have this feature in our MAZDA5 and needs only some
set up to activate.

I'll look for it. I actually originally didn't want the factory alarm because you have more options with a aftermarket alarm but it was the only one that worked with the key FOB so we decided to keep it. (didn't want another alarm fob on my keychain).

Back