Spare Keys

Skylab

:
Mazda 5
I'd like to know how many sets of keys come with the 5. Are the extra keys just regular ones? I do alot of surfing, and have to keep a key on me when in the water, so obviously, it can't be the main one. (boom07)

Thanks!

There's a possibility you may have a chipped key (my Mazda 3 has one, I didn't know until about a week ago) and you could damage it in the water. I'd get a key cut for it, and just use the standard key as your entry key. I'd also consider leaving the actual key in the vehicle (locked in the glove box) until you really need it. Just to be on the safe side, though, I'd go back to the dealership and find out what they could recommend you for a solution. Or, if all else fails, use non-microwavable saran wrap to protect the back end of the key... lol.

2 sets, both are the switchblade style keys. Yes they are transponder type keys. I'd suggest getting a spare cut on a normal (non-chipped) key so you can get in, and have the actual key stashed inside the 5 somewhere. Maybe hide it somewhere in the back.
You could unlock the could with the cut key, pop the locks from the drivers door (unlocking the hatch) the retrieve the key from a lock box or something in the back.
Just a thought...incase you're worried about somebody smashing a window and using the key stowed inside to steal the car.

yeah, get a non-chipped one, chipped keys cost about $30 without programming (not needed if you have 2 keys)if you need to program one, that'll cost you about $90 extra

Last edited:
solid_snake said:
yeah, get a non-chipped one, chipped keys cost about $30 without programming (not needed if you have 2 keys)if you need to program one, that'll cost you about $90 extra

I thought I saw programming instructions posted somewhere else on these boards... no?

It was something like, insert original key #1
Turn ignition to 'on' or 'acc'
Turn off, remove key
insert original key #2 within 10 sec.
Turn off, remove key
insert 'blank' key to be programmed, again within 10sec.
turn ignition 'on' or 'acc'

wait for blinky lights etc..

Presto. Your key is programmed and you've saved $90. But don't quote me on this. I'm going from memory. Search this forum. It may have been instructions for programming the key on a Mazda3, but I'd bet money the procedure is similar. Besides, you're not programming the KEY per se, but teaching the car to recognize a new key with a new transponder ID.

5thAve said:
I thought I saw programming instructions posted somewhere else on these boards... no?

Turn off, remove key
Turn off, remove key

Presto. Your key is programmed and you've saved $90. But don't quote me on this. I'm going from memory. Search this forum. It may have been instructions for programming the key on a Mazda3, but I'd bet money the procedure is similar. Besides, you're not programming the KEY per se, but teaching the car to recognize a new key with a new transponder ID.

Maybe this is the link I was remembering?
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73971

5thAve said:

Turn off, remove key
Turn off, remove key

i only have one key (i only got one when i bought my car, dealer wanted $30+ programming, because they have to access the ECU)
if you want i can post the procedures as i have the workshop manual, and in the Tribute Owner's manual also says how to do so.

EDIT: yes, those are the procedures for programming a spare key, which is recommended if you lose one, it'll only cost about $30, and not $100+ as it will cost me to get a new one

Extra Keys for the 5 are a nightmare.

The dealer lost our second key, so they had to get us a replacement, was part of the "we owe".

Took 3 trips over 2 weeks to get the damn thing programmed right, the chip code was not in their computers yet. And that was after I found one at another dealer. I was not a happy camper.

I don't think non-chip keys work with the 5.

Johaan said:
Extra Keys for the 5 are a nightmare.

The dealer lost our second key, so they had to get us a replacement, was part of the "we owe".

Took 3 trips over 2 weeks to get the damn thing programmed right, the chip code was not in their computers yet. And that was after I found one at another dealer. I was not a happy camper.

I don't think non-chip keys work with the 5.
you will able to turn the ignition switch, but the engine won't start if the ECU doesn't get the proper code

Skylab said:
OK, so at least getting a spare key made will allow access into the vehicle, yes? (hah) (locked)
yes, it will do everything as a coded key wil with the exception of starting the engine

5thAve said:

Turn off, remove key
Turn off, remove key

Presto. Your key is programmed and you've saved $90.

It might just be me, but that doesn't sound like $90 worth of work to me. It sounds more like $5 or $6 worth of work (i.e., only roughly a 5-minute process). Just another way for the dealer to make a large profit...

smaria said:
It might just be me, but that doesn't sound like $90 worth of work to me. It sounds more like $5 or $6 worth of work (i.e., only roughly a 5-minute process). Just another way for the dealer to make a large profit...
Don't be silly, the dealer would never do such a thing.

smaria said:
they said it is because they have to access the ECU with a special reader to program a second key (deadhorse

Anyone have quotes on how much the dealers are charging?

Mazdastuff's reply was thus:

I can sell you key blanks and the remote transmitters. You will have to get them cut and programmed locally. There is only one style of key and remote for the 2006 Mazda 5.

G2YA-76-2GXA KEY BLANK $35.00 ($46.70 suggested retail)

CC43-67-5RY TRANSMITTER $139.50 ($186.05 suggested retail)

Free shipping in the 48 states by UPS ground on orders over $100.

Total $174.50

I did ask at my dealer, but I forgot what they had said. In our house - we need one for each of us and one to stay at home - and even then, I wonder if we actually have enough keys.

i only have one key (i only got one when i bought my car, dealer wanted $30+ programming, because they have to access the ECU)
if you want i can post the procedures as i have the workshop manual, and in the Tribute Owner's manual also says how to do so.

EDIT: yes, those are the procedures for programming a spare key, which is recommended if you lose one, it'll only cost about $30, and not $100+ as it will cost me to get a new one

Really...that's all you gotta do?!?(boom07)

WoW, old thread! The dealer made me a key for $14. Opens doors, and glove compartment, and will even turn the ignition to "ON" mode, but car will not start(gun).

Back