Cam Gears?

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
My friend was telling me about a guy who had a ZX2, and how he got a $100 cam gear to advance the cam. He told me that when his friend advanced the cam 4 degrees, his car was .6 seconds faster in the 400m. He also told me that I could get a cam gear for my car for around $100...what do you think?

I'd say there are no adjustable cam gears for the 2.0 liter Protege motor yet. So if you wana chance that they will work, go ahead, but the 2.0 liter Ford motor is nothing like the Proteges.

ya but i wonder how different the cams are. my buddy with has a zx2, ill take a look at the cam gears, if they are the same size and same blot pattern, why couldnt we user them? (and i honestly asking this)

I honestly don't know...I think someone on the prowners.com forum covered the differences of why the cams don't work. I think it has to do with the igniton systems on both cars, our's being distributorless.

how does the ignition effect the cam gears... im not being a smart ass, im honestly asking how cam gears effect it.

I spoke to AEM about making cam gears for the 2.0 liter protege motor and they said they're not currently researching anything for our car aside from the intake. He did give me these numbers though, he said these companies would possibly make a custom one for us. Don't know the cost though

Modern Performance 203-878-5961
Steeda 954-960-0774
Mazda Competition Parts 1-800-435-2508

Do mention that there are more of us that are interested in having a cam gear. And sorry, I highly dought that you can take 6 tenths of a second off a quarter mile time, just by advancing the timing. Advancing the timing will give you more low end torque, but it comes at the expense of top end hp.

it depends with the cam gears allow you to do is move around the power curve a little. but your right i doubt your going to get .6 off your time.

Well, hey... 6/10ths is just what he told me. He has no reason to lie to me...as it's still a 17 second car. It's not like he dynoed it and got 10 more horse...he drove it 400m...so there's more variables involved.

Also about the low end torque...maybe I was wrong...maybe he retarted them 4 degrees. Whatever the case, he told me they moved them 4 degrees and it gave him a lot more high end, but it was really sluggish off the line.

Also, instead of begging companies to make stuff for our car, we should do a little more research and try to find exsiting parts for similar cars that will fit ours. We should all look into this cam gear thing...dollar for dollar it sounds like a good upgrade.

I agree with you, cam gears will definately help, ecpecially once we start dropping different cams in our motors.

But if you think about it, getting companies to make parts for our cars could possibly help develop the aftermarket for the MP3. :D

Here's my theory........Say we get a company to make cam gears, well then a different company will see that there may be another market for them to make money on, so in turn they'll look into making parts as well. This is just my theory though. :rolleyes:

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: APEXistud ]

Yeah, can't hurt. Well, I don't know who to call and stuff, but whatever #s you guys have, call them and say that you have people interested. Let's start a signup sheet for cam gears...

who's in?
------------
Kooldino
------------

Bump!

I spoke with Mark(owner) at Tri-point today and he told me that they have Adjustable Cam Gears available and in stock for the 2.0L Protege's. The price is $299+s/h You can call him to find out more, the number is on the website. http://www.tripointengineering.com/

I jsut sent an e-mail to tri-point and if this is true I am going to order them next week and they will be part of the rebuild I'm doing. I am going to take several pictures so you all can see the guts of our motor and comparision between pistons and such. Even if they do make them there is still a chance of them not having the cam position sensor markings since they are probably designed for their race protege.

So how would we deal with them not having the markings for the cam position sensor? What does this effect? Thanks for keeping us posted.
I assume that adjustable cam gears are good for both Turbo and N/A applications, right?

The cam position sensor is cross referenced with teh crank sensor in the ECU if they are off it will throw a CEL or shut down the motor. If the gears don't have the position sensor then we can't use one on the exhaust cam. But I look at a pic of the tripoint engine bay and it looks like they do have a position sensor still and its jsut a ferrous metal detector. I will elt you all knwo as I will order these monday or tuesday next week if they have them.

Thank you very much for bringing this post back from the dead to point out this new information. I'm happy to see that someone actually made some cam gears and since we have cam gears ready, I may think about buying cams now.

Ahh.....I'll admit I'm no gearhead and am a little confused by the talk of "crank sensors" and "sign-up sheets" But I'm glad to hear that someone is makeing more cool stuff for our cars... :D

APEXistud said:
Thank you very much for bringing this post back from the dead to point out this new information. I'm happy to see that someone actually made some cam gears and since we have cam gears ready, I may think about buying cams now.
But remember young adawan learner. If the gears don't have the sensor knodes then we are SOL on the exhaust sid eand can only use them on the intake side. I will find more info out on these today hopefully.

Update guys,
The cam gears will work with the stock cam position sensor I just ordered a set and I will have them shortly as as soon as UPS gets them to me which from Cali is a 7 day transit. I will post Pictures of them once I have them along with pictures of my Mazdaspeed Pistons and cams.

Last edited:
Back