Mazda5 Overpriced?

:
10 MS3
When we first heard of this vehicle coming over the estimated price was $15K, which sounded reasonable. But the actual price starts at $18K(Mazda3 territory) and goes as high as $22K(MPV territory). Why? What the going price in Japan?

RODSCALIP5 said:
When we first heard of this vehicle coming over the estimated price was $15K, which sounded reasonable. But the actual price starts at $18K(Mazda3 territory) and goes as high as $22K(MPV territory). Why? What the going price in Japan?

It would seem to be priced properly. It's built on the 3 platform but a little bigger and with similar features (but not all). From that it would seem reasonable that it would cost the same or a little more than a 3 but can be optioned out to drive the cost up near a base MPV.

There is always going to be some overlap between models and pricing. Some people have a set amount to spend. Of those people, some may prefer the smaller model car but enjoy all the extra features while another group doesn't mind to sacrifice the lack of features for a larger vehicle for the same price.

Heck my 3s Sedan cost about as much as many of the 6 models out there. I got it because it actually had more of the features I wanted that just weren't available in the 6. (Nav, HID, etc..)

well right now they are giving 4k back on mpv so i see his point but just think of it as a mazda 3 with alot more sheet metal = more money and standard side airbags for 3 rows!!! that costs money!

Don't get me wrong, I like the 5, but I don't see much more being offered from the 3, except 1 more seat. $15K would have been perfect, I don't see them selling too many at the price they have now.

RODSCALIP5 said:
Don't get me wrong, I like the 5, but I don't see much more being offered from the 3, except 1 more seat. $15K would have been perfect, I don't see them selling too many at the price they have now.

The leg room between the second and first row is much better, because the Mazda5 has a higher seating position than the Mazda3. In the Mazda3 my kids would kick the front row seats without really meaning to because they didn't have much room. I think most adults would be more comfortable in the second row of the Mazda5 than the second row of the Mazda3.

Additionally, the sliding doors make access a bit easier. If you are a newly married couple with a baby, opening the door and putting the baby in seems a bit easier with the 5 and folding down the third row allows for more room for strollers, etc., although I think a 3 would be ok for that too.

I wish the Mazda5 was a bit cheaper too, but I don't think it's horribly overpriced at the low end. I do think a fully loaded 5 w/navigation is ridiculous, but I've complained about that in other threads already. :)

Back