ZPS Build Thread

So I finally have a chance to get my videos and such up today. The autocross went well. The car handles great. I even had people asking me how I was taking a number of sections because of the speed I could carry through certain parts. The results are still not up yet which stinks. I did have an interesting point on my 2nd run where going into the slowest turn on the course the car rotated around a lot, so I floored it like you do in any FWD car to get the front to straighten out. Well I was below 4K so there was no power and the car just slid sideways to an almost stop. Pretty funny. Hopefully the tune will help with that some. Oh and some more mods will be coming to the car soon. More info will follow. The car rotated just fine so I am ok with not having the tri-point bar still. I think that at the one event in ATL those tires were so worn they were just doing strange things with the handling.

Ready to go.
996964_10101113264061818_1804331058_n.jpg

My fastest run:

Another random thought I almost forgot about. While swapping tires after the autocross I weighted them. Stock wheels and tires are 32lbs for reference. My 14" Miata wheels with 185/60/14 RT-912's are 30lbs. My stock M2 wheels with the RE-11A's are 35lbs. Lighter than I was expecting.

Some driving advice if you want it :). Tighten up your lines your adding distance and time in a few spots :(. Also looked late on that last slalom. I would also move the camera so we can see your hands and out the windshield maybe mount it on the left passenger window. Have you ever had Chris drive your car ? Does he feel its faster or slower then your 2 ? Also does he do any major events ?

That's all because I am still getting used to the car. I haven't really autocrossed a FWD consistently for about 5 years now. Plus this was the first time on the coilovers with good tires. Only my 2nd autocross with the coilovers as well. Also they just repaved the black lake earlier this year so everyone was getting used to the new surface. Either way for the small number of mods I have on my car I did really well. Some people said I should run pro. I am going to try to get a mount made for the gopro to get it in the car I just haven't had the time, but I will later this winter.

Chris has driven my car before. The biggest difference on the course like that one was power. The 3's are a lot quicker in a straight line, let along his which basically has all of the mods for the class done to it except seats, but he does have an intake, tune, header, and exhaust. I think he was hitting the limiter in 2nd on the fast section which is 70ish, where I almost hit the stock limiter for us which is 56-57ish. You are going to notice that difference in the times. I know he went to a national tour event this year, but his car wasn't as built as it is now. I think next year he is going for nationals.

That slalom at the end was tough. It is hard to tell from the video, but it is actually 2 different slaloms. Half way through it offsets by about 6 feet to the second one, which is at an angle which is about 20 degrees from the first one and the spacing is shorter by about 6 feet. A lot of people were having trouble there. I was further from the cones than I usually am. If you watch the videos from the clemson autocrosses I am usually about 3-4" away. I have actually had issues with mounting the gopro too low and hitting cones with it.

Last edited:
Let me rephrase my question. I was wondering if you buddy Chris feel your 2 would be faster then his 3 with him driving both. I am asking because both cars are STF and I hope I have a chance at beating a mazda 3 with my mazda 2. This year STF was won by a mazda 3 and all that car had was coilovers and they were installed right before the event LOL

Ahh I gotcha. I believe the 3 would be faster. We haven't swapped cars recently, but I have driven his car before I was faster in it than I was on my 2. Again, I don't have much done to mine where he does, but I still think that the 3 would be faster. To me the big key is if on the course you have to get below 3500-4000 because the 2 has no torque down there. That is why Andy tuned his like he did. The 3 has a lot better low end so it pulls out of turns better. Plus they run well with 225's so the extra footprint really helps with the grip even though they weigh more. He could get heat into the tires better than I could at this event since it was cooler.

This winter there will be some power gains going on with my car so we will see in the spring how I stack up against him.

Well that's not good news for me LOL. I am going to still try my best and I feel your right about the course playing a big role in the out come. We can run a 225 rs3 tire as well but the 195 toyo r1r is faster ;). a fully built STF mazda 2 should be 2100 or a little less so we have that going for us. Well I guess I need to wait and find out for myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Go Mazda 2 go

Yea for just cornering speed we can fly. I know that going around the skid pad section at the black lake people said that I was flyin through there since I have grip and light weight. To me the 225 would be good for grip on a track, but for an autocross you need to get heat into them for them to work.

I think the 2 can be up there, just not what I am planing for my car. Remember DD first for me, then fun autocrosser, then speed. DD and fun I have right now. Comfy and it handles really well for how soft it is.

OOO I hear you. This is my Daily as well. it see around 300 miles a week. I am a field tech and I have to do a lot of city driving lol. O well I want to win damn it. To be honest my car feels fine on the street. Most of the mods needed for ST don't mess up the car for daily use unless you have crazy spring rates or a loud exhaust.

True, but those stiffer springs allow you to drop the car down without having travel issues. Also you can deal with the poor suspension geometry with stiff springs. The stiffer setup (compared to stock Bilstein rates) will be better.

I want to go fast as well, but I have my Miata for that. I need to get a video up of how it sounds now. I took the muffler off and it sounds awesome. This weekend is the Clemson Sports Car Club Challenge where we are going to the strip Friday night, and then Saturday is an autocross. We will be adding the times from each event together to get a winner. I think I have a chance of winning with it.

Hey guys. I know this has nothing to really do with the 2, but it is interesting to me at least. Friday night I set a new best for the Miata in the 1/4 Mile. 13.796 at 104. Not bad for 45 degrees. Also I set FTD at the autocross the next day in the Miata.

Results:
http://www.clemsonscc.org/portal.php?pages=110913raw

My fiancee was driving the 2. Her times don't show it, but her driving improved a lot. She isn't used to autocrossing the 2. I did get this picture after getting home.
1394387_10101132106661098_1466928723_n.jpg

I also finally got some front suspension footage from my Miata.

On a good nice this week I will be probably getting started on the tune for the 2.

13.79 is a great time, I bet most people would not see that coming on the street, lol.

-Derrick

yea, it is fun on the street especially since there is nothing you can notice on the outside except I have Team Dynamics wheels. It is going to be a fun track car once I get it ready next year. I know that it will take longer to get it ready for track than I would like so I am going to start doing some track days in the 2 next year to help the itch. I haven't driven on a track in 3 years.

Small update with more later.

1. I am looking into getting a trailer hitch for the 2. There are a number of reasons why. I will have more information about it beginning of next year.

2. Just picked up some goodies for the 2. Rotors, pads, lines, and fluid. I might have pictures to post up tonight. This should get the car ready for track stuff next year.

HP+ pads
Fluid is the non blue version of ATE superblue
The lines are all made by the same people so I don't remember who truly made them.
Rotors are something different than what is out there for the 2 right now. I will have pictures and some more info later.

Back