ZPS Build Thread

Actually it looks like much of South Carolina, especially near the coast, it at a reasonably high risk of earthquake:

graphic2pct50.jpg

Yea, we don't get them often though.

So in preparation for the track day in 2 weeks I finally did a oil change the tranny. Here are the essentials.

1888694_10101286317092158_389736869_n.jpg

Yes that is a bent zip tie. Per the manual the oil level should be basically 1.5-1.25" below the hole. I bent the zip tie so that the small end was 1.5" long. Worked great as a dipstick to see what the level was. Now I just need to bleed the brakes one more time and I should be good to go for the track day.

Well this Saturday we had another autocross. Finished 6th overall out of 60.
http://www.clemsonscc.org/portal.php?pages=022214raw

The car felt great. I had a bunch of other people drive it and they were all impressed with it. One of my friends had his 2014 STi out, and I got a 47.7 out of it. I was surprised that the 2 was about 0.5 seconds faster than the STi. I will have some videos up later this week. I got a couple from the outside as well. This week I will also be getting the car ready for the track day this weekend.

Here is a friend of mine driving the 2. His run was a 48.8 I believe. I know the car could have done a 46.9XX. I did a 47.0, but hit a cone and messed up one braking point.

So this week I have been getting ready for the track day this weekend. Very much looking forward to it. Looks like the weather is going to be nice for it as well. I have made a go-pro mount which puts the camera between the driver and passenger seat. The footage looks decent. The camera is a little low, but not much I can do right now to fix it. Also my fiance will be there taking pictures, so I should have a lot of information and stuff next week.

So the track day was a blast. From looking at the video my fastest time was a 1:45.9, but most were in the low 46 range when there was no traffic. Surprisingly I got up to about 95-96 as the top speed which was more than I was expecting since there isn't much of a straight. It was great to meet eyeballs and his wife. I took him out with me for one of my sessions and I was running high 1:47 laps, but no surprise there. Pictures and video will start coming up tonight hopefully.

The car did well. I ran less tire pressure in the rear tires than I would when autocrossing. The car was more stable, but in the afternoon, when I was used to it, I probably could have put the pressure back in. The car didn't understeer much, but the extra rotation would have been nice in a couple of places. The car could have definitely use more power. It was really hurting in the steady state turns since turning normally will slow you down, and even floored the car barely accelerated in the sweepers. I have a number of new things in the works for power though so that should be resolved soon enough.

Glad to hear the weather cooperated. have any pics of your mount? mine attaches to the right seat headrest, and is height adjustable with the seat back. Would like to see what you came up with and the videos..

I still have mine on the car so I can get a picture of it before I take it off. Mine sounds similar to yours.

That car was a riot out there(from a passenger perspective). Awesome cornering grip and when the grip did give out, very neutral. Acceleration through the uphill sweepers was comical. From the passenger seat it felt like he let off the gas. A guy driving a ZL1 came over asking about the turbo setup, lol. When we pulled out of the pits there was the ZL1, a Boss mustang, and a Cayman right behind us and I think it took them around 3 laps to finally catch up. I seriously wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there.

In reference to the lap times posted above, I was getting 1:49s with my miata that has re-valved bilsteins, FM springs, and 195/55 sport comp 2's. The one session I got without a passenger I hit 98mph on the longer straight, but most of the day I was hitting only 94-95mph.

Last edited:
OK so here is some of the good stuff. Here is a video from the outside. My Fiancee was with me and she was sick so don't say anything about how half way through she watches the GTI instead of me.

This was from my fastest lap. I didn't even notice that I short shifted to let the ZL-1 go by.

It is going to take some time to make the compilation so hopefully that will do for now.

I almost forgot. Here is my camera mount.

1959702_10101309791628998_1115066994_n.jpg

It worked well. The Bungee cords were important because the head rest isn't actually that stable.

I almost forgot. Here is my camera mount.

It worked well. The Bungee cords were important because the head rest isn't actually that stable.

Yup...looks just like mine...Seems that the 2 held its own out there. Of course on the straights, the ZL1 was gone, but in the corners...stuck right there...

You may want to work on unhooking your thumbs. if you get into a situation where the ends swap, a dislocation is in your future...Otherwise..very cool...The cars was surprisingly stable when you took a bunch of curb there. I'm working on an external mic and going to try and get it under the hood, the car is so quiet, all you hear in the videos is the wind noise.

Thanks for the pic, I lower my headrest down so it pinches the mount. helps to keep it stable a bit.

I enjoyed the video. I would have like to join you and I have run with this group at AMP before, but I was installing the Bilsteins last weekend. Of course, last time I was there it rained most of the day. The weather looked great. I don't know my lap time in the 09 MX5, but I was hitting 105 to 110 on the straight and I can drive in the corners. I know the 2 will be slower, but it might still be fun. At least on a track like AMP or Barbers. Not so much at RA. Are you still running a custom bar on the rear? I have read your post on your build and enjoyed it. Thanks...

I am still running that same rear bar. It matches the rest of the setup really well. Worked great even when I had stock, and lowering springs.

I will go back and re-read your post, but I didn't recall which bar you are using or the spec if you built your own. People like to say the miata is momentum car, but the 2 is much more so. I know the car will be slower than the MX5 on the straights, but I am curious how the cornering speeds will compare. I would imagine with some good pads you could really deep brake the 2. Perhaps more so than the MX5. Particularly if you pulled the rear seats and got rid of some weight.

I will go back and re-read your post, but I didn't recall which bar you are using or the spec if you built your own. People like to say the miata is momentum car, but the 2 is much more so. I know the car will be slower than the MX5 on the straights, but I am curious how the cornering speeds will compare. I would imagine with some good pads you could really deep brake the 2. Perhaps more so than the MX5. Particularly if you pulled the rear seats and got rid of some weight.

Would be tough since there's really no way to keep any weight on the rear of our car, or to adjust the bias to give it more rear brake. You can only brake as hard as the tires will hold, and there's not a ton of rubber we can put on the car now. That said, IF you can get the car to turn in very well, you don't have to scrub as much off to get mid corner and then carry that through. The Miata being well balanced out of the box, requires very little to get to turn in very well, and can easily transition to acceleration befor most apexes. My Miata was so well setup, a monkey could go fast in it( trust me I've had some ). This car requires a finesse that not many have to get it going quickly, and not scrub it off. It's very rewarding to get it right; although I've come close, never done it.

So in comparing appes to coconuts, the Miata wins if equal driver for driver, but talent goes a long, long way. Seat time seat time.

Back