Zoom Zoom BOOM - I joined the blown up club.

I'd be very interested in this tune as well. I am NOT very interested in driving my car @ss backwards out of fear of blowing it up.

I tried to drive the car in the manner I posted on this tread -- trying not to roll onto the boost in a higher gear with low revs, trying to avoid that transition from 2500 to 3000 where you come up on boost -- trying to downshift first to bring the revs up a bit. It can be done, but it is very unnatural, counter intuitive, and I don't think most people will want to drive that way.

I found myself this morning running on the Interstate at 2800 rpm in 6th gear just barely into boost and wanting to just ease into the throttle to pull around another car. I did it without thinking about how the sudden boost rise at that rpm was torque hammering the s*** out of my connecting rods.

If the rod taper design is the problem, it plays right into the normal driving habits of even unmodded drivers and explains the zoom, zoom pop.

With my mods, I'm already out of warranty anyway. I'm leaning toward an AP tune now with an idea of trying to find a custom tune that would hold boost back a bit at lower rpm, while still providing the benefits of a good tune from 4k rpm on up.

Travis @ Cobb? Where are you? Maybe you guys could work on developing some mapping that would focus on this issue. We really don't need and won't miss 400 pounds of torque at 2000-2500 rpm, do we?

Much of the praise this car gets from the automotive press and normal drivers alike is mainly due to this low rpm abundance of torque. Normal drivers tend to really like the strong low rpm pull in the 3k range. It's a shame if it proves true that this torque is the problem causing the failures.......

Gotta love Mazda's reaction to all of this.

Do absolutely nothing, aside from void warranties.

Last edited:
yesterday I joined the club. I was handed some pieces from my 2007 mazada 3 engine block, I am still in shock. I just had my car inspected the week before. Here is what I experienced. Going about 60MPH a ticking sound started on what seem like the passenger side dash board, heat looked good, no indicators were lit. About 5 min after the ticking started, the car thumped, I pulled over to the side of road, then a white puff of smoke come from under the hood on the passenger side, I rolled to a stop. My car is still under warranty, I owned it for 2.5 years and it has only 33K miles on it.

Anybody experience anything like this? Did Mazda honor the warranty? They are requesting all my oil change records. I am not sleeping well these days.

Zoom Zoom Boom ! I feel your pain! mods ? were you stock ?

Last edited:
I wonder if any of the JDM MS3s are blowing up. I might have to look into this. Im worried now.

Not sure what to make of the situation. Many of us are still going strong after many miles on the engine. Depends on mods and how you treat it overall. One of the guys on here has over 80k with no problems, and his was one of the earliest ones on the road. Mine is in the mid 30's after a little over one year, so I will be a good example of high mileage before too long. If your stock or very close to it, and don't pound on it constantly, I think you will be just fine.

Not sure what to make of the situation. Many of us are still going strong after many miles on the engine. Depends on mods and how you treat it overall. One of the guys on here has over 80k with no problems, and his was one of the earliest ones on the road. Mine is in the mid 30's after a little over one year, so I will be a good example of high mileage before too long. If your stock or very close to it, and don't pound on it constantly, I think you will be just fine.

mines over 40 thou too. so i right there with you lol.

yeah, Im pretty much stock, only because my car is in So. Cal and I'm in Japan. I only have 6000 miles on a 2007, so I havent reached the high mileage point yet.

I have owned a lot of different cars over the years and only had really serious engine issues once, and that was on a supposedly bullet proof toyota v6 in a 2000 avalon, LOL....

My experience with that car tells me serious mechanical problems tend to show up at around the 34 to 38k range :)

I think if you get past that point and have taken good care of it, you are good for a couple hundred thousand easily.....

I have owned a lot of different cars over the years and only had really serious engine issues once, and that was on a supposedly bullet proof toyota v6 in a 2000 avalon, LOL....

My experience with that car tells me serious mechanical problems tend to show up at around the 34 to 38k range :)

I think if you get past that point and have taken good care of it, you are good for a couple hundred thousand easily.....

nice, well thiers some good news i guess.

yesterday I joined the club. I was handed some pieces from my 2007 mazada 3 engine block, I am still in shock. I just had my car inspected the week before. Here is what I experienced. Going about 60MPH a ticking sound started on what seem like the passenger side dash board, heat looked good, no indicators were lit. About 5 min after the ticking started, the car thumped, I pulled over to the side of road, then a white puff of smoke come from under the hood on the passenger side, I rolled to a stop. My car is still under warranty, I owned it for 2.5 years and it has only 33K miles on it.

Anybody experience anything like this? Did Mazda honor the warranty? They are requesting all my oil change records. I am not sleeping well these days.

Yep, @ 3,600 miles I'd only had one oil change at the dealer. Mazda NAO said the dealer screwed up and denied the warranty. That was seven months ago. I still have a car with a hole in the block sitting in the driveway.

Are they repairing your car under warranty?

wow .. there goes another one...

with in the past few months it seems that these engines are starting to go ...

this is disturbing ..

Last edited:
It really sucks bigtime for the people who have had blown motors...and I hope I dont become a part of that unfortunate list. But one thing is out of the thousands of mazdaspeed3's that have been sold worldwide since 2007..how many have blown????? Is it worse than other cars track record?? Whos to say..Iam very carious...check the statistics and then compare..I know the new 2009 wrx engines have been blowing more than they used to..and that 2.5 boxer engine has alwas been a very reliable platform..some cars will be lemons..thats just how it goes..others who knows..didnt change thier oil enough..was running to lean..or going crazy on thier mods with no tuning...some people on here have babied thier cars and still blown..but like i said..you gotta sit down..count how many ms3's have been made..then devide that by blown engines..and see if thats out of the "norm"

Well my car is on ebay , if it sells I might just pony up the money and buy a new mazda speed , But what worries me is paying like 27,000 for a new one

And then the dealer does not honor the warranty, I admit this car is the most fun car you can buy for the money hands down :)

Well it sucks but you pay to play. But if you want to make sure you have everything covered you have to not mod and have them do all the services...

Back