Yet another new owner!

nortoncat

:
09 MS3 GT
Hello all -

Long time lurker :)

Picked up my 09 white MS3 GT today! Only problem is after 7-10miles on the way home, the CEL lit up! Taking it to the dealer tomorrow to see what's up..

(hand)

Welcome, my car threw a CEL the first time I ever turned it on. It was a cyl 4 missfire I believe. Interesting way of resetting it they had to rev the car to 4k for 2min... Havent had a problem since, 5500 miles now.

arg.

Ugh. Just got back from the dealer and did not have a pleasant experience. Eventually I learned that the CEL was a mis-fire report. Unfortunately, the techs they had in the service department today, don't have the ability do fully diagnose the reason. TOMORROW they will call mazda HQ techs and attempt then. I should mention the only way I found this out is because I saw the salesman and he had to go inquire since the service-manager didn't care enough to update us on the status of my car. Keep in mind, I bought the car, brand new...YESTERDAY! After finding out that they'll need to keep my brand new car overnight to continue to diagnose it, my fiance and I went into the main show-room and gave the sales manager a piece of our minds. I basically told them my comfort level with my brand-new car was very low at this point. Eventually they arranged for me to drive another car home since I had errands to do today. Atleast they gave me a black 08.5 speed3 to drive temporarily...and boy am I going to drive the hell out of it!! (rockon)

I basically told them if they can't "fix" it by tomorrow, we're going to demand a new [replacement] car since I'm not confident in that particular speed3 I was sold. I do recognize they should be able to fix a simple misfire problem without too much hassle.

The manager was more than happy to give us a "We Owe" for all-season mats after my fiance asked him.

Quite the weekend!

/rant off

Thats annoying as hell, its the exact same thing that happened with me though. They should only have to hook up their scan tool read the code, and like i said in my earlier post they then rev it to 4k for 2min, the car shuts down remove key, put key back in, cel gone, drive home. It took them less than 10min, there is no reason they should have needed to keep your car over night. A miss fire isnt really anything major and probably just from the constant starting and stopping while moving your car around the dealer. Sucks to hear your dealer didnt know what they were doing.

Good luck with the fix. I can't imagine it's anything too difficult.

Case in point though why I always drive the heck out of the exact car I'm buying before I sign a thing.

With mine, they were a bit hesitant about me taking it overnight, but I explained to them why and put down my money and said I would return first thing Saturday morning to have them clean it up for delivery that afternoon. They were cool with it.

Just talked to the techs, they said my car is fixed! :D

Based on what I absorbed from the explanation; it was carbon build-up within the direct injection system. She advised me, during break-in, I should let the engine come to a comfortable 'warm' operating temperature before I take off, and to avoid short and frequent trips (errands?!). I know I wasn't the cause of the build-up since I didnt drive the car for that many miles - I wonder if it came from Port like that! Oh well, my fiance is now angling for them to throw in the home-link compas/mirror. Yeah, we're total anglers. ;-)

Excited to pick it up today! But in the mean time, I enjoyed taking a 'spirited' drive in the loaner 08.5 ms3 this morning!

Sweet, at least it is all worked out now and you have that get on the speed3 out of your system so you can treat your new baby with kit gloves during break in.

be sure they give you paperwork for this problem and for every time they do work on it. not that mazda would screw you regarding the warranty!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

From one newb to another... welcome!!! Picked up my '09 MGM MS3S on the 24th. 300 miles, no CEL. Sorry to hear about your issues. Here's hoping that's the last time you need to visit the dealer for a while.

be sure they give you paperwork for this problem and for every time they do work on it. not that mazda would screw you regarding the warranty!! hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I defenitely got the paperwork with a print-out of the CEL and the diagnosis/fix. I am happy to report that my brand new 09 ms3 GT is sitting comfortably in its parking spot right now (sans CEL!).

Going to be all smiles tomorrow driving to work. Infact, I think I'm going to wake up early to avoid traffic and have the roads to myself.

I defenitely got the paperwork with a print-out of the CEL and the diagnosis/fix. I am happy to report that my brand new 09 ms3 GT is sitting comfortably in its parking spot right now (sans CEL!).

Going to be all smiles tomorrow driving to work. Infact, I think I'm going to wake up early to avoid traffic and have the roads to myself.

So what was the diagnosis/fix?

A new motor at 4K for two minutes? Was this under load, or parked? Sounds like you got the wrong dealer. They should have been able to clear the code without starting the motor at all.

Welcome. I had the same problem when I got my car. Only, when I drove it off the lot the CEL was on. I had to schedule and appointment and wait forever for a stupid part. I wasn't pleased, but the more I drive my car, the more I forget about that.

So what was the diagnosis/fix?

Diagnosis was carbon-buildup inside the direct-injection system. Fix was: remove carbon buildup.

The tech said to let the car come up to a warm operating temp before driving off, and try to avoid short, frequenty stopping trips till break-in is complete.

Diagnosis was carbon-buildup inside the direct-injection system. Fix was: remove carbon buildup.

The tech said to let the car come up to a warm operating temp before driving off, and try to avoid short, frequenty stopping trips till break-in is complete.

Like I mentioned in a previous post to remove the carbon build up they rev the engine to 4000rpm for 2 min. Its done while parked in neutral, not in gear or while moving. I think someone asked about that before.

Back