Yearly inspection coming up

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
Hey so I have to take my car in to renew the registration. I was just going to ask some of you all with aftermarket parts on... I'm just wondering if I'll be able to pass my emissions check with my header installed. I mean I know I have two cats in there but feel like I most likely wont be able to pass emissions with just one, seeing that the header replaced my first cat. Have you all had any experience with it, do I really have to install my old cat back on?

I have no issues in TX passing emmissions testing for the last 8 yrs with header. I have hi flo catted midpipe, many visually perplexing mods to the inspectors under the hood but no CELs so no problems. Not sure about NC

323f_Ngin.JPG

what is involved in your emission test? in CT, all they do is plug into the OBD port. No CEL = Pass.

small world, I live in Glastonbury as well. and I can confirm, CT emissions are no fun

small world, I live in Glastonbury as well. and I can confirm, CT emissions are no fun

they aren't nearly as bad as New York... New York includes brake, tires, suspension, glass, seat belts, airbags, etc. they can pretty much fail you for anything.

i think i've seen you around town... i used to have a lowered black ES sedan with civic fog lights and full mazda lip kit. now, i have a 2011 MX5 coupe with fender "chevron" stripes. i'll try to wave next time i see you :D

Hey so I have to take my car in to renew the registration. I was just going to ask some of you all with aftermarket parts on... I'm just wondering if I'll be able to pass my emissions check with my header installed. I mean I know I have two cats in there but feel like I most likely wont be able to pass emissions with just one, seeing that the header replaced my first cat. Have you all had any experience with it, do I really have to install my old cat back on?
Well, no one here is from NC.
From my experience in Maryland, where a vehicle inspection is performed at a service station but emissions inspection is performed at a state facility,
if you fail the emissions inspection, you get a sheet of paper of why you failed, but you get like 30 days to fix it and come back.If you pass, you get a sheet of paper that says you passed. But there's no outside visible sticker that says your car failed. Cops don't see a sticker to give them probable cause to pull you over if you are driving a vehicle that has failed emissions. They may be able to ticket you for operating a vehicle without emissions equipment in working order as a second ticket to another ticket, like a traffic violation.
If you fail, you can always uninstall your header and put the cat back in.

they aren't nearly as bad as New York... New York includes brake, tires, suspension, glass, seat belts, airbags, etc. they can pretty much fail you for anything.

i think i've seen you around town... i used to have a lowered black ES sedan with civic fog lights and full mazda lip kit. now, i have a 2011 MX5 coupe with fender "chevron" stripes. i'll try to wave next time i see you :D

ill definitely keep an eye out for you and your sexy whip. but chances are you'll hear me before you see me, haha. hope to see you around! do you ever go to the McDonald's car meets?

but as far as emissions go, you should be fine but it really differs from state to state. call a local shop that emission tests and give them your situation, maybe they can pull a few strings. you could get a gutted cat welded on so if it is a visual inspection, they will see it

depends on where you go, and out of all the years owning my car i have never had that full type of inspection, 2002 and up is no cel and you get a sticker, anything under that gets the tail pipe test

I take mine to this one shop and all they do is turn on all the lights honk the horn plug it up to the computer and that's it. In my state they don't have to look under the hood. It seems like if you go to a small mechanic they will just do the minimum and send you on your way. now if you go to a dealership or a place like Midas or something along those lines they will do every thing the state requires them to do witch can be bad.

I don't understand why people complain about safety inspections. I don't want to be on the road with people driving cars with bald tires, bad ball joints, tie rod ends, struts, no brakes etc

I take mine to this one shop and all they do is turn on all the lights honk the horn plug it up to the computer and that's it. In my state they don't have to look under the hood. It seems like if you go to a small mechanic they will just do the minimum and send you on your way. now if you go to a dealership or a place like Midas or something along those lines they will do every thing the state requires them to do witch can be bad.

Speaking as another guy from MA, that's pretty much all they do, plus tires. My car failed for bald tires on its first inspection, which I expected lol

I don't understand why people complain about safety inspections. I don't want to be on the road with people driving cars with bald tires, bad ball joints, tie rod ends, struts, no brakes etc

Agree with this.

As annoying as they probably are I wish we had them here to get the bombs off the road and to make sure people look after there cars at least somewhat as there are some truly dodgy cars around.

but you have to figure this... if someone has a clunker that they need to drive to go somewhere, they're going to drive it no matter what, wether they're passed emissions or not. yes, most people will stop driving a car if it fails emissions, but it doesn't stop anybody from driving anyways

depends on where you go, and out of all the years owning my car i have never had that full type of inspection, 2002 and up is no cel and you get a sticker, anything under that gets the tail pipe test

the sniffer test is only down-state. upstate, for emissions, they only plug into the computer.

i ALMOST wish CT did the safety inspections, too, just for this reason.

Probably a visual inspection (gas cap, mirror under the car for exhaust mods). They will see one cat and be satisified.
If no codes on the ECU = pass.

I am sure its not the safety inspection people complain about, its failing a state inspection due to failing emissions.

No, I've seen so many people b**** about failing over brakes, tires, tie rod ends, ball joints etc general things that make a car unsafe to drive

I was shocked this year when my protege passed with bald tires. Granted I had some on the way and they were installed the week after but still. All the guy said was they were bald and need to be replaced soon

Well in this particular case its emissions. I cant see how people can complain about that, when it comes to safety I would be great full if someone pointed out something i missed. But all the time i see cars with stickers that say the car faild and they drive them anyway.

This is a good point.
We complain a lot when we know our cars our fine, but we don't think about all the others out there who don't comply.

Well in this particular case its emissions. I cant see how people can complain about that, when it comes to safety I would be great full if someone pointed out something i missed. But all the time i see cars with stickers that say the car faild and they drive them anyway.

I can see reasoning behind emissions as well, America is one if the biggest polluters and it shuts the tree huggers up. If you're overly concerned about failing emissions you have 2 options keep it stock or keep all the stock stuff for testing purposes. Shouldn't take more than 2 hours to replace an entire exhaust if its bolt on

Back