Xcelerated Concepts Reverse Cowl Hood Install Went Without a Hitch (Literally...)

We Are Ninja

:
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT; 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon
I had help from a friend and it went really well except for the fact that he hood won't close all the way. The latch (on the car) and the hook thing (on the hood) line up perfectly, and the hook thing goes down far enough to get past the hood secondary hood release (the one you have to reach under the hood to release) but it doesn't depress the lower latch, the one that actually holds it down. I've moved the latch assembly up as high as it will go and pushed the hood down as far as it go, but it won't catch... I have no idea what to do. :( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Did you purchase this hood used or directly from us? That is definitely not normal. Have you tried lowered the rubber stops on the corner of the fenders?

^ It was used, but I know the guy I bought it from very well and it was on a show car rarely left the garage. It was in immaculate shape. I'm pretty sure it's my hood latch or something I'm doing wrong because the hood fitment is OEM perfect. I even compared the hook on the new hood to the stock one and they're all but identical.

Now that the sun has come back up, I'm going give it another go. I haven't tried adjusting the rubber stops yet; that's an idea.

Mine did the same thing, but if i remember correctly the hook mounted on the hood was slightly different or mounted the wrong way. I brought out the dremel and opened up the holes on the latch a little but more to bring the latch assembly up higher. Wish i had pics, and I no longer have the hood.

Last edited:
^ The holes on either side of the hook? When I push the hood down (as far as I dare) there is rubbing, but it's difficult to tell where, exactly, as the hood is all but completely closed when it occurs.

I lowered the stops all the way (I had no idea you could actually do that...), but still no dice. I'm gonna keep at it.

The OEM locking mechanism mounted on the frame of the car that locks the hood closed.....being held on by two or three 10mm bolts. Remove the bolts, and open the holes on that metal piece so you can raise it up a little more to close the hood.

Much appreciated. After half an hour of head-scratching and trying random things, I finally decided to remove the latch, lock it onto the hood, close the hood and see how the holes lined up... They don't; the latch needs to go up and to the right (alot like yours...).

I was thinking of seeking out some small brackets to maybe relocate the latch (which, in hindsight, may have proven needlessly complicated...), but dremeling the holes sounds like a much better idea. Now to see if anyone in Autozone/Home Depot will let me rent a Dremel/rotary tool...

Much appreciated. After half an hour of head-scratching and trying random things, I finally decided to remove the latch, lock it onto the hood, close the hood and see how the holes lined up... They don't; the latch needs to go up and to the right (alot like yours...).

I was thinking of seeking out some small brackets to maybe relocate the latch (which, in hindsight, may have proven needlessly complicated...), but dremeling the holes sounds like a much better idea. Now to see if anyone in Autozone/Home Depot will let me rent a Dremel/rotary tool...

you can ghetto it with a drill bit and some elbow grease if it comes down to that.... not good for the bit and won't be the cleanest hole.. but.. its an idea

Much appreciated. After half an hour of head-scratching and trying random things, I finally decided to remove the latch, lock it onto the hood, close the hood and see how the holes lined up... They don't; the latch needs to go up and to the right (alot like yours...)

That sounds about right with what I remember about the install. Let us know how it turns out...

Many, many, many thanks. I went to Target and picked up a $30 dollar electric rotary tool, and three worn attachments later, I had ground enough metal to move the latch just far enough to get it to catch. The hood closes now. :D :D :D

Not only does it close, it sits perfectly flush. I've had enough tool time with the car for the weekend, I'll put the hood lifts on next weekend...

Last edited:
Sounds like it is more than an Isolated incident...Maybe the Hood BRacket needs to be looked at by the manufacturer....It sounds as if the catch is a bit too short on the CF hoods.

I'm aware of a few that had this problem, but this has been corrected. We had a new guy working on some of them and this was a result unfortantely.

Back