Would you say the MS3 has a touchy clutch?

ch77

:
2007 MS3
My mechanic says this, and has me drive the car into & out of his garage. He also says it has too much torque and that he'll just trust me to drive it.

My wife says it's touchy, and she peels out every time she drives. Heh.

I say it's very responsive - you can feel everything the car does, and every imperfection of the driver's technique is easily noticed by anyone in the car.

I actually have a hard time driving it a bit quickly; normal is no problem, fast is no problem, but a bit quick can be more than a little tricky sometimes. This is my first turbo car, though, so I think that's a good deal of the explanation. Driving the GTI VR6 a bit quick was easier, but it also had a lot less power and quite a different power band.

Anyway..

Last edited:
I wouldn't say the clutch is touchy but I would say that it can take some getting used to at first to find the sweet spot. The first couple of days I did some tire spinning but after that it was cake. I was just stomping on the gas too hard but it had nothing to do with the clutch.
It took my husband a while to get it right too. It's very different from his 93 Cobra.

I dont like the fact that mine dont engage untill the very top.I like when they engage at the bottom or middle of the clucth stroke.

800px-narwhals_breach.jpg

Last edited:
the clutch feels that of a focus mine isnt at all like the speed all soft and what not

mine grabs at the top. you barely have to press it for it to engage. its weird...

mine grabs at the top. you barely have to press it for it to engage. its weird...

You may need an adjustment...Seems like mine is mid to lower.

But mine could be the one out of adjustment as well. Oh well, I like it the way it is.

Last edited:
My clutch seems to engage fairly close to the floor. I've had a bit of trouble getting used to it as my ti clutch has a higher and more gradual engagement- not to mention an aftermarket(UUC Motorwerks) adjustable clutch stop.

my clutch also grabs towards the top maybe 3/4 of the way to top... dont have to push the clutch all the way down to switch gears. i dont anyway to be safe.

Mine engages when you lightly press the clutch.

I like it this way so i can go quick shifting with it.

However, i miss third gear quite frequent :(

this is really weird how some peoples clutch is far out and some are far in i dont think there is an adjustment bc its a hydro clutch correct me if im wrong

Yeah, it's the hydraulic clutch engagement. That's about the only thing I wish was different about the car, well that and the drive by wire throttle.

I've had mine 4 moths and 5 thousand miles and still occasionally manage to kill it in traffic once in a while, usually when starting uphill.

wow , there are some spoiled people here, try using a clutch from a 69 chevelle and you will know touchy. I do recall when I test drove my car it did feel sensitive but now that it's got 6k miles it just feels like an extension of my left foot.

i guess having it engage close to the top would work to an advantage to some...

I never stall, but come close to it at times pulling into my driveway. I like the clutch, but sincerely hope there are some aftermarket options in the future, although I know replacing a fwd car's clutch is a huge pain.. I think due to the dual-mass flywheel it's less likely that there will be aftermarket clutch development, but oh well..

This clutch is fine, I expect it to last at least 100,000 miles even with me slipping it sometimes when trying to drive sporty but not all-out fast. Fast is easy in this car..

Well I hope you're all happy with your MS3, because I know I'm happy with mine.

There sure isn't much slip to the clutch. It's kind of on or off. People who are driving my car for the first time usually stall it.

Mine engages towards the mid-point, and I wish it'd engage at the top like the previous cars I have owned. It could be much quicker to change gears since you wouldn't have to press down the clutch as much.

Clutch and shifter are the biggest gripes I have about this car. ^_^;;

i stalled once in so long only because i had a few beers i think..the clutch feels good. like people said. u can feel everything u do. mine engages bottom to middle. you can feel it catch close to the bottom then i just release slowy

Back