Would You Buy A Mexican Made Mazda?

I will, if I had to. But since I had the chance to buy the Japanese built mazda3, why not? :D I'm sure the car built in Mexico will be just as good as the ones built in Japan and they'll probably have reps from Japan there to check on quality control. However, somehow I just have a better piece of mind knowing it's built in Japan. True Japanese car :D

I will, if I had to. But since I had the chance to buy the Japanese built mazda3, why not? :D I'm sure the car built in Mexico will be just as good as the ones built in Japan and they'll probably have reps from Japan there to check on quality control. However, somehow I just have a better piece of mind knowing it's built in Japan. True Japanese car :D

You are lucky you got your Mazda3 already. I wouldn't buy Mexican Honda, let alone Mazda. I bought my Corolla SW 20 years ago, all wagons were built in Japan unlike their less fortunate
sedan counterparts (Hello, Fremont). I have quarter of a million miles on it and it is still is riding strong. It cost me whopping $2500 in repairs in 20 years, outliving many sedans.
I wouldn't buy a Mexican build taco, if you get my drift. Check the rating on WV built in Mexico, would you?

A dealer told me about a month ago that the company is building the factory and plans to make the Mazda 3 in Mexico beginning during March. If Mazda is able to stick with that schedule, the cars should begin to show up in the rest of North America soon after. My personal plan is to buy a 3sT or 3sGT in March or April, making sure it began life in Hiroshima. (BTW, you can tell where a car was made by its Vehicle Identification Number. VINs beginning with a "J" indicate made in Japan, beginning with a "3" Mexico [or other Central American countries]).

I have owned Hondas, Toyotas, and a Mazda, all made in Japan, Canada, or the US, and they have been just fine. However, I would be hesitant to buy a car made in Mexico, especially in the first year or two after production there started.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have a problem building a car made in Mexico. Some of the most conscientious, detail-oriented workers I've ever dealt with are Mexican.

I think the Monroney sticker still has to specify country of assembly, doesn't it?

@LennyR:

It seems that a huge flock of automakers are descending on Mexico these years with billions of spending cash ready in hand. Nissan Motor Co, Honda Motor Co, Mazda Motor Corp and Volkswagen AG have announced plant plans in excess of $5 billion and BMW AG, Toyota Motor Corp and Daimler AG's Mercedes-Benz are expected to announce plant plans before long (news-story). I'm sure all of them are keenly aware of the massive damage to their brands a Mexican-quality-problem would cause on the US and Canadian markets and have made triple-sure that the quality will be on par with cars produced elsewhere..... But I live in Europe so that's a risk free assessment for me to make. I too would probably feel uneasy about buying the first Mexda3 :)

Anyway, the Mazda3 isn't build at the Hiroshima plant, but at the Hofu plants in Yamaguchi: http://www.mazda.com/profile/outline/activity/japan.html (Here and Here). Not that it makes any difference quality-wise, but it's fun seeing where ones car was actually build.

Would you buy a Mexican-made Mazda?

NO! Lol.... well it depends. Through the past years, a lot of investments have been done in Mexico for automotive manufacturing. It is the perfect spot for auto manufacturing, you got cheap labor and cheap transportation to north american market by train/truck.

I'm a heavy duty truck mechanic with 9 years experience and 4 of those past years with Volvo/Mack trucks; a lot of parts (including electrical harness like engine or truck main harness) are "made in mexico". I wont bulls*** you guys, I'm not that kind of "Volvo truck tattooed on the heart" anyway, I can recognize any manufacturer good points and weak points... but since 2 years we have the most fuel efficient truck on the market with the Volvo VED13H 475HP and also the strongest on the market with the Mack MP10 615hp 2300lb/tq.... all that reliable!!! Ask people they know trucks about the Volvo/Mack going uphill these years and they'll say these are reliable trucks. The "mechanical" part of the engine is made in Germany, some parts from Sweden but a lot of "a side" parts like electrical harness are made in Mexico.

But I'll never like more a car like my 00-protege "Made in Japan" !!!

@TenOfSwords

You are right, of course. In fact, I own a Vizio flatscreen TV that I bought in 2008, and it looks and works as well today as it did out of the box. Vizios are assembled in Mexico using Asian, Mexican, and US parts. I guess my big concern would be the first months of Mazda3 production, until they have some experience and the US market has some experience with their cars. Rather than wait for that to happen, I'll make my M3 purchase in February or March, a couple of months earlier than I would otherwise. Not exactly a hardship!

Thanks for setting me straight on where the M3 is being manufactured in Japan. I didn't realize that Mazda was big enough to have plants in more than one home-country location.

No, I don't want one made in Mexico.

I'm planning on buying in September (for the deals) but wouldn't want one built in Mexico. If the Mexican built ones start showing early summer, I doubt I'll be able to find a Japanese built 3 in September.

I wouldn't have a problem with a Mexican Mazda. When living in So. Cal, I worked with several and they(for the most part) worked harder and better than many of their white co-workers. Sure they may have problems first off, with the plant just opening, but don't blame it on the fact that they are Mexicans, blame it on it being a new plant. I'm sure any new plant would have its start-up pains.

I wouldn't have a problem with a Mexican Mazda. When living in So. Cal, I worked with several and they(for the most part) worked harder and better than many of their white co-workers. Sure they may have problems first off, with the plant just opening, but don't blame it on the fact that they are Mexicans, blame it on it being a new plant. I'm sure any new plant would have its start-up pains.

I guess that was my point. New start up plant. No reflection on Mexican workers. Years ago, I had a PT Cruiser that was made in Mexico. No problems with it. Paint and panel fit was really good.

I am mexican. I just bought my Mazda here and i can tell you there is not much of an issue since:

a) they are still being manufactured in Japan since the Mexico plant just started
b) the release date for the i models in Mexico is Q2 2014
c) mexican assembled cars are not bad. I would worry if they were made in China or worse, Brazil (those make things with their feet i think)

On the other hand, it sucks a lot that the mexican version has a lot of missing tech equipment :/

I have worked in Mexico, China and Japan setting up, or repairing CNC machines. I will never go back to China or Mexico. Not a safe place to be, If you work in a crummy, unsafe, low paid factory how would you feel about producing A great product. In Mexico they wanted me to setup the machines unsafe, And in China they complained I needed a translator and i got someone to help me that spoke English for 30 minutes the 2 days I was there.
The machine worked when I left, but know one understood what I was doing on it.

I'm glad I did not buy my car made in Mexico. I sure as hell would not buy it made in China.

did you work for any of the automotive brands here in mexico? because their processes are not bad (i work in manufacture, precisely using CNC machining centers) nor are they unsafe, most have the culture and wallet to put up with all... other kind of factories might be different, but as far as automotive sector goes, if anything, the only one that i consider an unsafe mess is Nissan (and maybe VW)

I'm sure all Automotive groups were better than what I have seen. Not having very good laws to protect workers is sad. The Mazda plant could be great in Mexico I just have to think why did they move the plant to Mexico? There had to be some kind of cuts, wages and safety would be first.

Some non factory workers do not understand what an unsafe work place means to people, these factories will let many people die to save money. Every factory in Mexico and China that I worked in asked for a lower price by cutting the safety equipment out of the CNC machines. The salesman tell me they asked about fewer estop buttons to save money. It will often be something silly But not always, sometimes it's a safety shield on A 20,000 Watt Laser. There are somethings you do not want to skimp on.

I have never been inside a automotive factory. But the conditions inside the places that I have been makes me very uneasy to buy items made in China or Mexico.

There was very little difference between the Japan and US Factories. People seemed a little more motivated and happy in Japan.

Made in Mexico:
Cadillac Escalade EXT
Cadillac SRX
Chevrolet Avalanche
Chevrolet Aveo
Chevrolet HHR
Chevrolet Silverado
Chevrolet Silverado Hybrid
Dodge Journey
Ford Fiesta
Ford Fusion
Ford Fusion Hybrid
GMC Sierra
GMC Sierra Hybrid
GMC Sierra Crew Cab
Honda CR-V
Lincoln MKZ
Lincoln MKZ Hybrid
Nissan Sentra
Nissan Versa
Dodge Ram 2500
Dodge Ram 3500
Dodge Ram 4500
Dodge Ram 5500
Toyota Tacoma**
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen
The only ones that impress with reliability/quality are from Japanese automakers. Hopefully Mazda follows. They probably will get it right - just no sure about first year or so.

Production today is quite automated and quality control is primarily a function of programming the robots. Workers have quite menial tasks and the few required to maintain the machines are highly trained. So I wouldn't worry too much about quality. Mazda needs a way to cut costs to be price competitive. While they will save some money on wages, most of their savings will be on land, construction, and not having an EPA -- they can pollute to their heart's content. Japan is a very expensive place to make products -- even more than the U.S.

As A CNC guy that has setup and repaired just about every CNC type of machine made. I will tell you that it makes a difference with employees caring about there work. There was obviously more repairs made to CNC machines in the poorly paid factories than with other locations.

When they run a Mill at 100% instead of 80% they loose quality. These little differences are what makes cars more dependable. That and the engineering behind them. If you abuse A CNC machine you will also loose quality.

These problems are less noticeable today "everybody is getting better", But if my car was made in Mexico I would have to rethink my decision.

As far as polution goes I love being green and make every effort to buy green products. I maybe looking at Cat Delete for my car but I save gas and have converted my lawn mower to Propane and run A electric weed eater. I will more than make up for a Cat Delete.

From what I understand, Mazda imports the engineers that control and maintain the robots -- they are not using locals for that task and I doubt whether they will for at least the next couple of years. So I'm not too worried about quality.

So you would be fine if everyone gets rid of their catalytic converter? Do you also just uses CFC or LED bulbs in your house? Depending on where your electricity comes from, an electric weed eater doesn't necessarily improve the environment. That said, I use a lithium ion battery on my weed eater -- the same one that powers all of my tools.

The Mazda 3 is a very good car. I'd hate to see the company go under and lose the company because their labor and plant costs are too high in Japan and they can't be price competitive.

As my CFC bulbs go out I replace them with LED's. I use an 18 seer HEAT PUMP for my home. I use compost bins to heat my garage. And grow many of my own foods. Hope to get A green house soon so i can garden all winter long. If solar panels get better I will jump on that to.

A cat does little work after the car is warm. I never failed an emission test with a gutted cat. The emission testing locations in my area had a sign for people to turn there car off while in line. It helped cool down the car and increase the chance of failure. Testing locations got paid for every car tested, when it failed they would get paid to test again. I think the state took over testing after a few years and then the testing droped all together in Indiana.

A lawn mower will put out many times more emissions than a car will in a year. I have a 1 acre lot to mow, so I use it a little more longer than average. I do not remember all the facts about this but I do know I'm more green than most. It's a tradeoff I'm probably still a little selfish sorry.

Many companies are returning back to the USA. It did not save them as much as they intended. If Mazda makes A great car and people want it, it will be successful no matter were it's made. The cutting edge styling, fuel economy, Tech and reliability got me interested this time. The other car in my top consideration was the Honda Accord Hybrid made in OHIO. I do not like the Blind spot monitoring system on the Honda Or I may have chosen that car. The Mazda was a less conservative car for me, I need to let myself get a little wild again. Got married, ass got tight.

Last edited:
Back