Wiring help

dbzeag

:
Protege 2001 LX 2.0
I am going to be installing a headless carputer in my car with the computer in the dash and amp and sub in the trunk. I am going to start pricing wires and parts out for my system, and I think I have it figured out.

2 - battery terminals to hold up to 0ga or 2ga but can use 4ga
1 - 4ga wire no longer than 18" from battery to inline fuse holder
1 - waterproof inline fuse holder with 125amp MAXI or ANL or ATC fuse (see http://www.bcae1.com/fuses.htm for more details)
1 - 7' 4ga wire from fuse holder to fused distribution block
1 - distribution block that should include 4ga input and 4ga, 14ga, 16ga output with a 125 amp, 15amp, and 7.5 amp MAXI or ANL or ATC fuse
1 - 20' 4ga wire from output of distribution block to amplifier
1 - 5' 14ga wire from output of distribution block to carputer power supply
1 - 5' 16ga wire from output of distribution block to monitor
1 - 4ga wire no more than 12" from amplifier to ground
4 - 16ga 20' wire from amplifier to speakers
2 - 8ga 3' wire from amplifier to sub

Am I missing anything? Am I incorrect wtih anything? I don't think the amp kits on ebay or knukonceptz will work for my application, so it might be that I have to buy the rolls of this stuff myself.

Also, what are the details I need to actually wire the M2-ATX and Lilliput I was thinking about using?

Thanks for any help.

You can go up to 4' for the amplifer ground wire. The odds of finding a good ground within 12" of the terminal are slim unless you are mounting it under the seat or something.

You don't need 8ga for the subwoofer. 12ga or 10ga speaker wire is fine.

I'm not sure why you want a 0ga battery terminal. 4ga is fine for upwards of 1000 watts.

I would drop the fuse ratings down a bit. The stock alternator can only put out about 100 amps. There is no need for a 125amp fuse. I would stick an 80 amp off the battery. Unless you plan on going to SPL competitions you won't blow it unless you do something stupid like short a power cable.

chuyler1 said:
You can go up to 4' for the amplifer ground wire. The odds of finding a good ground within 12" of the terminal are slim unless you are mounting it under the seat or something.

You don't need 8ga for the subwoofer. 12ga or 10ga speaker wire is fine.

I'm not sure why you want a 0ga battery terminal. 4ga is fine for upwards of 1000 watts.

I would drop the fuse ratings down a bit. The stock alternator can only put out about 100 amps. There is no need for a 125amp fuse. I would stick an 80 amp off the battery. Unless you plan on going to SPL competitions you won't blow it unless you do something stupid like short a power cable.

Very cool info. Thank you very much

Back