Winter performance! The Mazda 2 is fun in the snow.

Joker2

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport 5 MT
So, I went for a spin yesterday (we got clobbered by a snowstorm in New England) and the OEM steelies shod with Michelin xIce2 did just fine. Not as good as studded tires but kept me moving just fine. In 3-4" of snow over ice. The e-brake was required during some turns as we cannot use the go pedal to rotate these cars.

It was fun blasting past stuck or slipping SUVs. Folks around here just do not get the concept of friction. Maybe they should all take 1st year of engineering courses. Anyway, slipping and sliding in the snow with good winter tires (tyres for UK types) is just plain fun.

Later, I took the Civic Si 1989 for a spin and that was OK but not as much fun (Pilot Exalto A/S), but the power of the Si was just about right. The Civic may be my next Rally car.

So, I run the xIce2s in the winter and the Advan AD08 the other 8 months. Cheap fun, this car is.

The 2 is great in snow. I took it through almost a foot of fresh fallen snow once and it didn't get stuck. Handles the white stuff like a champ.

I am very surprised at how well the 2 drives in the snow as well. I'm using Continental ExtremeWinterContacts and I have had no issues with a 35 minute commute on back roads.

I've been driving the 2 up and down back mountain roads in 1-3" of snow with no problem. And that's with worn out summer style tires. It's very good for what it is but can't hold a candle to the super 10.

I drove it on 2-3 inches of snow with stock all season tires, yokohama avid, and it did fine. It does need some handbraking to turn into a corner at times, but other than that everything was fine.

Now slush, thats a different story. The car is so light that when I change lanes when there are tons of slush on teh road, the car would wobble across the lane LOL. its not bad, but its something to notice.

I try to drive around with a full tank of gas at all times when there's stuff on the ground. Otherwise yes, it does feel like it floats haha.

Back