windshield washer isn't spraying at all????

slyderdai

:
2010 mazda5 Sport
Our new 2010 5's washer sprayers don't work in the front or the rear. The fluid is full but when I pull the lever nothing happens, I popped the hood and I don't hear a pump moving either. I looked at the fuse panel in the dash and under the hood but came up with nothing. It's snowing and the closest Mazda dealer is over an hour away. I hate driving on the highway without being able to see clearly when slush and salt get thrown all over the windows.

any insight guys?

Probally frozen........ What fluid did you use? If it isnt the deicing stuff it freezes pretty easy. Same thing just happened to my wife's Escalade 2 weeks ago, once it warmed up it worked great :)

Rob

Agreed, it's probably frozen, especially if you had summer stuff. Pour in a bit of warm antifreeze and keep the car warm for awhile.

I filled it up with deicer the day we brought it home. I never had a need to use the washer since then. It's only 3 weeks old with like 2000 miles.

Who knows what it was shipped from the factory with - did you run the front and back pumps to flush the de-icer through the lines? If it is frozen (once you thaw it out), run lots of fluid through it, and you should be fine. Ours has never frozen, and we run the Prestone de-icing fluid from Wal-mart.

The lack of sound from the pump is a little alarming though. According to the book, the rear washer, and rear wiper are on the same fuse. So if the rear wiper works, the fuse is ok.

Last edited:
Took it in today. They don't offer loaner cars to non local customers. I was WTF are you serious? I just drove over an hour to get here (which they knew) and now it's a problem to loan me a pos 626 over night? They proceeded to tell me I could rent a car while they work on it. I told them to get bent, and called another Mazda/Hyundai dealer While standing in their lobby. They are gonna give me a car to use while they have my 5.

Blaise Alexander Hyundai Mazda may have gotten me for 20k but I'll be damned if they get another penny from me ever.

Btw the rear window wiper and pisser work fine and dandy.

I've got the same exact problem right now on my new M5 (30 days old), nothing sprays in the back.

I think it's frozen as well as I worked a bit a couple of days ago, but nothing right now since the big snow storm in the northeast. You guys are certain that anti-freeze will do the trick? The wiper still works btw.

I was pretty irritated to buy two big containers of WW fluid only to get them home and realize they're marked '32f and above.' That stuff should be illegal to sell in a state known to see sub-freezing temperatures at any point in the year. Just absurd.

I had my rear washer go dry today, turned out to be low fluid. Weird because the fronts still sprayed. Its unlikely the rear line would stay frozen long, it runs up the A-pillar and through the headliner.

I've got the same exact problem right now on my new M5
You guys are certain that anti-freeze will do the trick? .

Do not use antifreeze (engine coolant) under any circumstances. Windshield de-icer that is marked -40 degrees is the only fluid to put in the reservor.

Do not use antifreeze (engine coolant) under any circumstances.

I should hope not. Doesn't engine coolant antifreeze kill the paint job if left in contact? not something you want to be spraying all over your car (or mine if I'm behind you).

I had my rear washer go dry today, turned out to be low fluid. Weird because the fronts still sprayed. Its unlikely the rear line would stay frozen long, it runs up the A-pillar and through the headliner.

It does this on purpose - a safety feature. If your fluid gets low, it's more important to be able to see out the front than out the back.

It does this on purpose - a safety feature. If your fluid gets low, it's more important to be able to see out the front than out the back.

I wonder how they work that out, maybe 2 different pumps with one pickup higher than the other? I think a low fluid light would be nice. This is my first car without one.

I've used the Rain-X fluid before in another car and it works fine. My washers work but the strength of the rear washer seems a little weak to me.

Back