Windshield Washer fluid pump failure?

MazdaTwo

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport (Black)
Long story short: I ran out of washer fluid, refilled the reservoir, and now there is nothing coming out of the jets when I pull on the wiper control arm.

Here's my question: I the general consensus that I burned the pump out by running the reservoir dry. I could have sworn there was a fluid level light on the car, but that must have been my previous vehicle. I probably pulled the actuator a max of 2 times with the empty reservoir.

My other question: Is it possible that there's a fuse blown? I opened both of the fuse boxes and I don't see a fuse dedicated to that pump, and the front and rear wipers still work fine, and there fuses are good. Is there a different fuse I can check?

I really don't want to pay dealer service fees for something so silly.

The Low Level light is standard on Canadian cars normally (Only)

It could be a fuse, and you would have to put some real punishment on that pump dry before it failed..
so I think it unlikely that it is burnt out
(Unless you sat there for 1 minute wondering why the s*** wasn't tinkling all over the glass)

If the pump still makes noise when you turn the switch on it maybe something stuck in the siphon tube.

There is a little blue light indicating low fluid level. Not sure what the deal is with your car, but hopefully it's just something stuck in the tube.

There is a little blue light indicating low fluid level. Not sure what the deal is with your car, but hopefully it's just something stuck in the tube.

You are in Ontario... which is Canada... Like I said, he does not have that light because he is in the USA...

Thanks for the replies.

The Low Level light is standard on Canadian cars normally (Only)

It could be a fuse, and you would have to put some real punishment on that pump dry before it failed..
so I think it unlikely that it is burnt out
(Unless you sat there for 1 minute wondering why the s*** wasn't tinkling all over the glass)

Yeah, I definitely wasn't just sitting on it for minutes at a time. Once I realized it was out, I probably pulled the trigger twice before filling it, forgetting that it was empty. But like you said, nothing that would qualify as punishment.

If the pump still makes noise when you turn the switch on it maybe something stuck in the siphon tube.

The pump makes no noise when i hit the switch, which is why I feel like it's either a blown fuse or a bad pump.

Does anyone know which fuse or circuit the pump is on? I don't see it having it's own fuse as far as I can tell.

Well, I went ahead and pulled all the relevant fuses to check for a blown fuse. I didn't find any that were blown..... however, after doing this I tried the washer fluid and it works now. I have no idea what that was about. I didn't work for like a week, but it's fine now. I hope this isn't an indication that I've got electrical system gremlins. Coming from a VW, I've done my time when it comes to electrical problems.

Back