Window Tint

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hey all!

How many of you guys have window tint? Have you had any issues with being stopped by the cops for it? The state law in Wisconsin is 50% in front. Is that even worth the money? It looks so light!

What percentage are you all using? I just don't want to be constantly getting pulled over for it..

Any thoughts on a happy medium for the front windows?

I plan on getting my windows tinted...here in Texas, 35% is the darkest for the front two windows....but no limit on back and rear windows. What I've noticed in the past with my vehicles, is that if you make your back windows darker than factory, your front windows will also appear slightly darker even though they're legal.

As far as getting stopped with legal tint, who cares, it's legal.....but if you go darker, I'd suggest sliding open the moonroof to allow more light it come in when you get stopped...or open the other windows a little also.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Local tint shops will know the limits. If you want a real cheap job - see Groupon. Your CX5 will be tinted for 120 or 140.
There are laws regarding tint levels for front and back seats. For how low can the tint strip on windshield go and how dark it can be.

I also have a question about window tint, but my question is about maintenance. Are there any special cleaning instructions for tinted windows? Materials or chemicals to avoid? I will be detailing my car this weekend and was just wondering how to handle the windows. Thanks!

My jet black mica '16 Touring FWD has tinted back windows. I bought this with 18k on it already, and I believe it came from Texas. Not sure if it was factory or not, but you can't see what's in the back seat or cargo area when you look through the windows. I'm sure for a black CUV some amount of tint is a must.

I also have a question about window tint, but my question is about maintenance. Are there any special cleaning instructions for tinted windows? Materials or chemicals to avoid? I will be detailing my car this weekend and was just wondering how to handle the windows. Thanks!

Tint is on the inside - so cleaning from outside is ok. But on the inside the film might not take too many harsh chemicals. A soft cloth wipe is all I will recommend or water.
I used to use 0000 steel wool - forgot and used the same on inside and the tint got damaged.

Just had the driver and passenger windows tinted on my 2017 GT to match the rest of the vehicle, which I believe is 20%. I live in OH. The tint is manufactured by Llumar, which has a lifetime warranty. The Llumar tint looks like it came from the factory - perfect match to the rest of the vehicle. My neighbor is a cop, he said they don't care about window tint. In the past, they did. Driving around, it seems like every 3rd vehicle I see has full tint.

Just had the driver and passenger windows tinted on my 2017 GT to match the rest of the vehicle, which I believe is 20%. I live in OH. The tint is manufactured by Llumar, which has a lifetime warranty. The Llumar tint looks like it came from the factory - perfect match to the rest of the vehicle. My neighbor is a cop, he said they don't care about window tint. In the past, they did. Driving around, it seems like every 3rd vehicle I see has full tint.

I see tons of people with tint too.

I use to use Stoners invisible glass which is safe for tinted windows. Basically, you can use anything that is ammonia free glass cleaner wise.

I would like to follow the law, but 50% is pretty light. Not sure if it's worth the money

In CA we can't have the front window tint yet a lot of people do it anyways. I have 35% on my front and wanted to go darker but 35% was the darkest they had for the film I used. I have 20% over the factory tint too and 55 ok my sunroof. Even my windshield is tinted, very lightly tho at 70%, and no issues. As long as you don't drive like a total ass and give cops a reason to pull you over, you should be fine. Dricing a cuv usually doesn't attract too much attention from the cops so just do it and enjoy.

Just make sure the glass cleaner is ammonia free and you should be good.

I just had the shop match the tint on the rear. Looks sharp! Also with being located right near the windshield, light still makes it way in so its not too dark. Highly recommend.

I got 35% on the front windows. It's illegal here in Alberta to have any tint on the front windows. But many people still do it and I see people with almost 5%. It's not enforced but if a cop pulls you over for something else they will add the tint to the fine.
20272854_10159108061590581_1007004918_o.jpg

I'm in Wisconsin, I went with 20% to match the rear windows. No issues with being pulled over. I don't believe you can be pulled over for just window tint in Wisconsin. There needs to be a moving violation in order to be pulled over

I got the max my state allows 35% driver passenger front.

Entire Front windshield - 3m crystalline 90% (crystal clear) with 99.0 UV protection and 90% inferred block

Sunroof - 3m crystalline 70% (hint of blue) - with 99.0 UV protection and 90% inferred block.

The inferred is what heats the car the most. I'm the type that will burn in the shade, so I wanted protection..

Clean with No Ammonia based cleaner. Costco and a 3 pack aerosol cleaner that my installer suggested. (Even gave us a can for free..)

I'm in Wisconsin too and my last car had 30% tint on all windows and no front license plate, both of which are technically illegal in Wisconsin (except the rear windows would be considered legal). I never had any issues with getting pulled over by the police. Granted my last car was an Infiniti Q50, but generally if you keep your car clean and don't drive like an idiot, cops will leave you alone unless you give them a reason not to around here.

I still need to get my CX-5 tinted, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm thinking 30-50% for the front, 50-70% for the back to increase the heat blocking and darken them a little, and then probably something like what ddtigger1 did for the sunroof and windshield to help block the heat.

I would not even waste my time or money with a 50% limit.

I have 20% on my BMW here in toronto. looks illegal as hell at night. never had any issues with it.

Back