will this 2006 single CD/MP3 player work on my 2007 M3?

Chuckles

I want to be able to play MP3 CDs, buy I don't need a changer. Can I swap out my 2007 OEM stereo with this one:

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

If I understand correctly, 2007 models have speed-sensitive volume, and maybe this won't work, but will it work fine otherwise? I should be able to plug the aux jack connector into this one too, right? (I don't have Sirius, etc.) Will I lose outdoor temp display or other capabilities at all?

How come a non-changer CD/MP3 player like this one is not offered any more?

Many thanks,

i don't think they are backwards compatable (from 07 that is)... but i think guys like icspots and theman will be able to inform you more on this...

that is just a NORMAL single disc non-mp3 headunit for the 2006, furthermore all the MP3 player options for the 2006 and newer models are 6 disc changer units, single disc units are not available for these years

TheMAN said:
that is just a NORMAL single disc non-mp3 headunit for the 2006, furthermore all the MP3 player options for the 2006 and newer models are 6 disc changer units, single disc units are not available for these years
I was afraid of that. I asked the seller if he/she was sure it was MP3 compatible, but no reply. Many thanks for clarifying this.

I was a bit upset that I couldn't play MP3s in my CD changer on my 07 too. But then I found out how beautiful the AUX port in the center console is and I was hooked. Now I have the SAT radio and that doesn't work either so back to figuring out how to have my MP3 music collection travel with me. I'm waiting for a switchbox which is shrouded in mystery.

I agree that that's not a CD/Mp3 player. The single CD/Mp3 player was an option for the '04-'05 model years, and in '06 it was replaced with the 6CD/Mp3 player. I imagine there were some complaints from people that wanted both the changer, and the Mp3 player, plus I imagine mazda can charge more for this one. That stereo is at the very least for the 2006 because it has the separate harness plug for the LCD (previous models the LCD was connected through the HU harness). Also it's very convenient that the faceplate that would say "MP3" is missing from the stereo.

As to backwards compatibility...... I'd think that you could put the HU from a '06 into a '07 as it still has the harness plug for the LCD. If you have a GT with the DIS stuff then I don't know if you'd keep it as I'm not sure if that's a function of the HU, or the car. Also I don't remember if that was offered in '06. No one's tried using the 3.5 aux input (standard on the '07) into an older model. Right now mazda is saying that the ACI (Auxillary console Input) isn't available for retrofit.

If you want to use both the sirius and the 3.5 aux input (or the ipod adapter and the 3.5 aux input) then you need the newly released mazda switch box. It allows you to plug in both, and connect that to the stereo. Zero Cool just purchased one, and I believe is going to work on reverse engineering it. He's also going to try it with non-'07 HU's, and with some of the aftermarket ipod/aux in adapters to see if they'll work with it.

The switch box is part number TD13-79-CFZ and is about $120. Here's some pictures.

mazdaswitchbox2ee6.jpg

mazdaswitchbox1hm0.jpg

I will let you know how testing goes. I will be testing with an 04 radio tonight and my 06 radio tommorow. I dont have a sirius so i can only run some basic tests at this time. I am hoping to purchase a Sirius box in the next week or so for testing....Anyone got one for sale???

Zc

Zero Cool said:
I will let you know how testing goes. I will be testing with an 04 radio tonight and my 06 radio tommorow. I dont have a sirius so i can only run some basic tests at this time. I am hoping to purchase a Sirius box in the next week or so for testing....Anyone got one for sale???
Zc

Alright here is what i can confirm so far. The results were the same with a 04 and 06 radios.

With this switch box plugged into the aux port and a phatbox plugged into the SAT/CH port on the switchbox it works just fine when you press CD twice to get to EX:

Adding an Auxmod at the same time made no difference. Auxmod works when Tape/Media is pressed. Phatbox and Internal CD player work when CD is pressed.

What does NOT work. is plugging the Phatbox into the AUX port on the switchbox. the CD display counts as if the cd or phatbox is playing. but there is no audio. I have confirmed that audio is being fed into the cable that goes into the switchbox. I will have to investigate further where the audio stops.

What does that mean to you? At this stage of testing. it looks as if this box "Should" work with 04 and 06 radios. On the condition that the factory iPod adapter will work with this combination. I do not have the ipod adapter on hand to test with so i am only guessing. But the test results look good so far.

I would have presumed that if this box would not work with a 04-06 radios that i would not have gotten this far. that there would have been a problem already.

I was hoping that i could have plugged in a Phatbox and Sirius radio using this box. but test's sow far doesnt look like that will work. I am on the hunt for a sirius box now for further testing.

So to recap. Tests so far show that a Phatbox playing through the switchbox works with 04 and 06 radios.

Zc

Back