Why no Mazda4

There is a Mazda2, 3, 5, and 6 why Mazda did not come out with a model called Mazda4? Anyone know why the number 4 was skipped?

Most likely because the number 4 is associated with death in Japanese. The model names may be different from Japan to the rest of the world but it's still a Japanese car company.

But not just a "4."
There's a similar aura to the number 7 in Japanese. No Mazda7 coming but there's both CX-7's and RX-7's.

and according to wikipedia, it wasn't called the rx-4 in japan, but instead was the luce rotary. anywhooo... just chiming in for no reason.

Most likely because the number 4 is associated with death in Japanese. The model names may be different from Japan to the rest of the world but it's still a Japanese car company.

I thought that was a Chinese thing because the number 4 sounds like the word "death". But I didn't think it is the same thing in Japanese. For the same reason than they should have a Mazda8 the number 8 in Chinese is lucky because it sounds like the word "wealth".

How do you guys know this stuff?

My parents are chinese and they have a strong belief in that stuff. I guess it's the same in most asian countries that those numbers and even number combination won't be chosen. My parents are so picky even house number and license plates must have a certain number in it. Cannot have 4 in it at all. Some other bad number combos are 58; which sounds like "Can't get wealthy"... 14: "Will die" 5354: This one is also bad, but more complex to explain... So, things like that...

So maybe it's the same in Japan they want to avoid the number 4. 4 means death.

I thought that was a Chinese thing because the number 4 sounds like the word "death". But I didn't think it is the same thing in Japanese.
the Japanese language came from Chinese so some things they share.

speaking about the Mazda nomenclature; I understand Mazda2, 3, 5, and 6; but then you have the one-member of the MX club, the MX-5, then 2 members of the CX club, and one member of the RX club. I know the RX cars are always rotaries, and I guess CX cars are crossovers. so what I don't get is the MX, is that just for 2 door sporty cars?
BTW, wouldn't a Mazda9 be cool? a proper RWD Lexus-type sedan, w/ the 3.7 engine? or maybe AWD, based off the new Ford Taurus platform?

BTW, wouldn't a Mazda9 be cool? a proper RWD Lexus-type sedan, w/ the 3.7 engine? or maybe AWD, based off the new Ford Taurus platform?

Ah the resurrection of the 929. Problem is that full size cars aren't big sellers and besides it doesn't fit into the new Mazda's equation. Same reason they're not bringing the 8.

I thought that was a Chinese thing because the number 4 sounds like the word "death". But I didn't think it is the same thing in Japanese. For the same reason than they should have a Mazda8 the number 8 in Chinese is lucky because it sounds like the word "wealth".
They *do* have a Mazda8 - the 8 is the name given to the MPV in certain other markets. We just don't get it here anymore.

WOW. an 8pass minivan and only has the same 2.3 engine as our Mazda5.
it always amazes me what the rest of the world consideres 'enough' power compared to the US.

They don't need to drive 75mph and people's average weight is about 20lbs lighter...

We have fatter asses in US...

Back