why is the MS 6 not selling like hot cakes?

tttP5

I'm in the market I think for either a MS 3 or MS 6.
It seems like there is way too much interested for the MS3 right now and everyone is paying msrp + taxes and fees.
but there seems to be a very good deal going on with the MS6 cause it isn't selling as well as it should have been.
why is that? are there problems with the car or is it under powered? what issues are there in general?

The reason it's not selling is because it was marketed towards a bmw/audi crowd, and they won't make the switch to mazda. Also, most people who look at this car want an automatic, and when they try the clutch they get turned off by the car.

Karma_hunden said:
yah, the clutch is a pain...but god is it worth it.

but if the clutch is a pain in this one i can't see how it isn't a pain in the MS3 cause its the same engine and both have a 6speed transimission which i'm assuming that its the same.

also i read that the MS3 with a CAI and EXHAUST system can gain an extra 30+HP, is this also true for the MS6 since its the same engine?

i think the functionality of not being able to fold down the rear seats is quite a pain because of the rear brace, but i did read up the self mod rear folding seats. rear folding seats is kinda an important feature for me because i intend on fitting my snowboard inside the car. and also thats where AWD helps better than having a FWD

tttP5 said:
but if the clutch is a pain in this one i can't see how it isn't a pain in the MS3 cause its the same engine and both have a 6speed transimission which i'm assuming that its the same.

also i read that the MS3 with a CAI and EXHAUST system can gain an extra 30+HP, is this also true for the MS6 since its the same engine?
i think the functionality of not being able to fold down the rear seats is quite a pain because of the rear brace, but i did read up the self mod rear folding seats. rear folding seats is kinda an important feature for me because i intend on fitting my snowboard inside the car. and also thats where AWD helps better than having a FWD
remember, that's crank HP, not BHP. I would think it holds true for the MS6 in the HP gains.

I'm in the market I think for either a MS 3 or MS 6.
It seems like there is way too much interested for the MS3 right now and everyone is paying msrp + taxes and fees.
but there seems to be a very good deal going on with the MS6 cause it isn't selling as well as it should have been.
why is that? are there problems with the car or is it under powered? what issues are there in general?
Why is the MS6 not selling like hot cakes although it bests almost every car in it's price range? Because that's a mazda badge on the back.. and mazda has always been a car that you are rather forced to buy because that's just all you can afford at the moment more than a car that you want to buy to the general public. If it said ferrari snort thruster turbocharged 4-door on the back it'd sell by the million. The fact that mazda either refuses or just can't afford any sort of non-generic marketing dosent help either.

Last edited:
they both are selling for $30,000. Saw the price tag down here in florida for a ms3, $29,000 out the door! lol like it's a sale or something.

nvmsp said:
they both are selling for $30,000. Saw the price tag down here in florida for a ms3, $29,000 out the door! lol like it's a sale or something.

Where? It's not that way here in the Tampa area.

tttP5 said:

FYI

Rotaryrider drove the MS3 briefly. Oddly, he described to me that the the clutch engagement for MS3 is different from the MS6.

Raynman said:
FYI

Rotaryrider drove the MS3 briefly. Oddly, he described to me that the the clutch engagement for MS3 is different from the MS6.

They changed the clutch engagement for the '07 MS6 as well.

It comes down to Mazda's marketing and the niche segment the car was aimed at. Unfortunately they did a really poor job of marketing the car and many potential buyers wanted an automatic. The MS3 is aimed at an entirely different piece of the market and it should have no problems selling as that segment is red hot.

I love my MS6 and the prices that you can purchase one of the remaining '06 models for currently make it hard to ignore. The two cars are really two different classes of vehicle, but both excellent choices. Both respond well to engine mods and you will see similar gains for the same mods. Now that the MS3 is out the aftermarket for the 6 and 3 is really starting to pick up.

The primary complaint about the MS6 is the clutch engagement but it's easy enough to get used to, and now that the MS3 is here, I am sure replacement clutches will be coming out from the aftermarket. Not to mention the changed engagement on the factory clutches from Mazda.

Last edited:
Ah, that would make sense... I was wondering why people were saying the clutch was weird.. but I never found anything wrong with it... it was an '07.

ottawaP5 said:

ottawaP5 said:

I have had 2 MS6's and the clutch feel is VERY different on the one I own now. (the first one had a 11/05 build date, and my newer one has a 7/06 build date)

Mazda obviously recognized a problem and resolved it.

The best "deal" would be the MS6 since there seem to be good rebates through out the country, the MS3 is a tiny bit faster from a roll, but is generally over priced right now. And the MS6 is better of the line. Depends what you want. Both are very nice cars.

for me price is really an issue. also I like getting a good deal, to get a MS6 with a good deal is much more appealing then getting a sticker + tax MS3 even though the price of the MS3 maybe less still.

i like both cars because both actually have the same engine and the engine in the car is really dictates a big chunk of what price the car is priced at.

when i first bought my Protege5 I got it when i first came out and no dealer was willing to negotiate so I had to get it at sticker + fees, I'm trying not to do that again this time around.

I think the MS3 is aimed probably at my target group, I like the styling, the price is a good deal for the amount of HP and its about 500lbs less than the MS6 so it should probably accelerate quicker and be more nimble.

The MS6 on the other hand is much more roomier and the inside has a more grown up feel and it has the added AWD which is a good safety feature. I agree that its targeted for a more mature audience who would rather have the convenience of an automatic. But i want to get a manual so either one suits me.

also it looks like the 5000 limited production numbers for the MS3 will make the dealers act like asses and not budge on the price since they can sell it as a limited item.

I don't really care that the MS6 isn't selling as fast as Mazda would like. It makes the car a cult classic. It also makes us "all winners"! Truth be told there are things that could've been done from the start to make this a hot seller. Wider tires, all of the "mazdaspeed" parts with the real warranty, and real exhaust pipes to get that "dealer cheese" off the rear of the car. The price may have gone up, but it may have been worth it. It would've really been great if it would've been a rear-biased awd. Then competing with the BMWs would've been more on point.(enguard) (first)

tttP5 said:
also it looks like the 5000 limited production numbers for the MS3 will make the dealers act like asses and not budge on the price since they can sell it as a limited item.
I know, that is really killing it. another dealer near me got their first one in and I stopped by to check it out, only to find out it was already sold. the guy was there waiting witha deposit check before they opened. way to wait it out and work the market for a lower price(hand)

at least this dealer wasn't trying to mark the car up like the other dealers.

and they had one MS6 left over. a GT with everything but NAV. salesman said it stickered at 31K and they were taking 4K off. They must have sold real good at this dealer to be such a small discount comparatively to other deals I've heard.

The main reason I think is people can't see spending 25k for a mazda, and people still are not sure about the durability of a turbo over the standard na engines. If the speed6 was a 300 hp v6 they would sell better.

And have you noticed that the car is long and thin looking?

My opinion is because its a "semi-full size family sedan" the same boat the Legacy GT is in. They dont sell either. Yet the WRX sells good...I think the MS3 will be their best seller.

Pirana said:
My opinion is because its a "semi-full size family sedan" the same boat the Legacy GT is in. They dont sell either. Yet the WRX sells good...I think the MS3 will be their best seller.
absolutely. Most people aren't interested in big performance in this segment. Going with your subaru example, the standard legacys far outsell the GTs and more outbacks than anything. But as others said, at least you CAN get the LGT in an automatic(big plus). Automatics are always gonna outsell on anything with more than 2 doors.

I drove the ms6 and didn't really notice anything with the clutch. It is a little sensitive but it feels smooth. Anyone care to share why?

Back