Why doesn't the CX-5 steering wheel lock?

:
2014.5 2.5L Touring /w bose
For years and years every car I owned, the steering wheel would lock when you removed the keys. The CX-5 steering wheel does not lock. I assume its for theft deterrence. Cost savings? Is there other theft deterrence?

Well, for one thing there is no key to remove and engage a locking mechanism. As for theft deterrence, the car won't start without the chip in the fob. Better than a mechanicaly locking steering wheel any experienced theaf can easily get around I suspect (not that I would know!)

It can also be a safety issue. My 2000 Corvette was recalled due to the steering lock not releasing when started. The fix was to remove the function...

I hate cars which steering wheels lock. Freaking annoying.
My mom's VW Beetle would lock and be crazy hard to unlock and turn ignition, I was afraid of breaking the key.

It can also be a safety issue. My 2000 Corvette was recalled due to the steering lock not releasing when started. The fix was to remove the function...

Same here with my 01 C5. My solution was to purchase a lock bypass. No problems after that. I suspect one reason a steering lock isn't on the CX-5 could be a safety reason with the push button start and certain situations. For example, if someone push the start button while turning off the vehicle while in motion.

How strange...

My UK 2014 CX5 DOES lock the steering wheel when the ignition is stopped. It actually occurs when you open any door to get out as you hear a buzz as a motor (or equivalent) engages behind the steering column. Turn the wheel slightly and it locks in place. Perhaps cars are more likely to be stolen in the UK market.....

Jonno21

What did the Steering Lock accomplish? Not a Darn thing. They actually made it easier for Thieves to steal the car.

Corvette wise, I reasonably sure my C6 does not have a steering lock (also push button start).

Back