Why Can't the CX-9 V6 Use Synthetic Oil?

premio53

:
Mazda CX-5
Hi everyone. I traded my CX-5 in last week for a 2015 CX-9 (the last one on the lot) and was surprised to find out that oil change intervals were 5,000 miles as opposed to 7,500 miles for the CX-5. The head mechanic told me that they had to use a synthetic blend with the V6 engine and that they couldn't use full synthetic. I didn't really understand what he was saying about it so could someone explain why the Skyactiv uses full synthetic and the V6 doesn't? The good news is oil changes are less expensive.

Last edited:
That sounds like nonsense. Maybe the dealer mechanic, following manufacturer recommendations won't use full synthetic, but I see no reason you couldn't use full synthetic on your own.

Sent from the wrong side of the tracks.

That sounds like nonsense. Maybe the dealer mechanic, following manufacturer recommendations won't use full synthetic, but I see no reason you couldn't use full synthetic on your own.

That was my first impression but not being that familiar with engines and oil I thought it best not to question what he was telling me. I have the lifetime powertrain warranty as long as the dealership changes the oil and does all the mechanical work so maybe I'll ask if I could have the option of using full synthetic. Is synthetic blend better than pure natural regular oil?

A little.

If you have the warranty, they kind of have you by the nuts on that one. I would ask anyway. Better protection is better, right?

"The head mechanic told me that they had to use a synthetic blend with the V6 engine and that they couldn't use full synthetic. " That sounds like nonsense to me.

What is the thinking of the manufacturers not wanting full synthetic oil being used? It doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Again, your mileage may vary based on service.

WHAT?!! I have a 2015 cx9, i wanted the oil changed @3k for the 1st time, dealer said no need, wait till 5 or 7,500 mi to do it because its full syn, so i did it myself @5k, with full syn, owners manual suggests castrol products, so i went on castrols website, and used their suggestion of magntec 5w-20,

That mechanic has no idea what he is talking about. I've used synthetic oil since the car was new. No problems.

Like I said I have no idea why they have that policy. The CX-5 with the Skyactiv engine was 7,500 miles between oil changes with full synthetic. It's my wife's car so I let her deal with the oil changes.

It may be recommended to keep total cost of ownership down. I use synthetic and go 7500k - 8k, 76,000 miles, no issue.

Agreed ^ used Mobil 1 Full synth on 2014 for 30k miles and no issues.

30k is the interval you use for the oil change? Just curious because I want to use Mobil 1 and my wife drives mostly city miles. Want to extend the intervals over every 3k with regular oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30k is the interval you use for the oil change? Just curious because I want to use Mobil 1 and my wife drives mostly city miles. Want to extend the intervals over every 3k with regular oil.

3K changes are outdated. manual calls for 5K/7.5K depending on driving habits.

Same here. The Mazda dealer I've been going to has been using full synthetic in my CX-9. Also the blackstone oil analysis that I had done are good.

I think what he meant is that he has been using synthetic oil for the last 30k miles, with I assume is at least a handful of oil changes. Not 30k mile change intervals.

And see mpvue post regarding 5k/7.5k changes.

The head mechanic told me that they had to use a synthetic blend with the V6 engine and that they couldn't use full synthetic.
The head mechanic is not a lubrication engineer. Some mechanics just repeat the old myths they grew up with.

Use any oil of your choice that meets or exceeds the specs. Conventional, syn-blend, full syn. They'll all work fine. Synthetic oil thins less when very hot, thickens less when very cold, oxidizes more slowly for longer service life, and if a polyaphaolefin (PAO) base was used, has a higher film strength. "Synthetic" is a marketing term, not a technical term. The best synthetic oils are very good. The cheapest are no better than a top conventional oil. Any motor oil made from Group III, Group IV, or Group V base oil can be marketed in the U.S. and Canada as "synthetic." Group II base oils make very good conventional motor oil. A syn-blend has Group II and Group III base oils mixed together.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29113/base-oil-groups
(What's in motor oil--ignore the marketing hype): http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/educa...-oil.html#iframe-L2JyYW5kcy9wZW5uem9pbC8wMQ==

Buy an owner's manual if you don't have one. That gives the recommended oil change intervals. The mechanics may be repeating old myths about oil life, or the dealership wants you in more often for oil changes so they have more opportunity to sell you more repair services, needed or not.

Latest posts

Back