Who's installed an auxiliary transmission cooler?

you can buy a DDM @ wally world for $20, shame on you LOL!!!!!!

Yeah, but I'v been wanting to buy a Fluke that has signal analysis and some other features that are punitively expensive. Do they seriously have a true digital meter for only $20? There's got to be a catch.

There's also borrowing or buying a CAN bus monitor such as a ScanGauge II...
If Mazda is similar to Ford, the ATF temp should be available on the bus.

http://www.scangauge.com/support/pdfs/XGAUGE.pdf

Page 5, under Ford. If Mazda is the same, it looks like it's there.

It will be interesting to know how much the ATF temperature differs from the Engine coolant temperature. ATF passes thru the radiator anyway and heat gets transfered to the engine coolant where it is dissipated to the surrounding air. For as long as the engine coolant temperature does not continue to rise, it is safe to assume that ATF temperature is within spec.

It will be interesting to know how much the ATF temperature differs from the Engine coolant temperature. ATF passes thru the radiator anyway and heat gets transfered to the engine coolant where it is dissipated to the surrounding air. For as long as the engine coolant temperature does not continue to rise, it is safe to assume that ATF temperature is within spec.

According to the generic graph in post #29, I'd say ideal ATF temp is about 20 degrees F below the engine temp. Typical coolant temp is about 190-200 degrees F. Apparently below 175 F is ideal. 190-200 is what it would be going into the engine, not the radiator. My guess is that you want the ATF to be 175 or lower coming out of the tranny. I'm tired so I may be rambling with no logic whatsoever.

How many AT problems have been reported on the board?

Is the MZ-V fluid carbon based? Does discoloration mean burning? Or is it possible, as Robotaz mentions above, that it could just be pieces of the clutch in suspension?

Why is there no replacement schedule listed for the AT fluid? Surely Mazda would list a schedule if they thought it was important.

Just curious.

Not sure what is causing the premature discoloration. Mine was nowhere near pink or red at 25,000 miles. With Mazda having no schedule for the atf, it gives a person a false sense of security. My 5 was used, so I wasnt sure of the correct atf colour because I was unfamiliar with Mazda M-V fluid and had no idea of a starting colour. The decision is left up to the dealers to decide.

I did a cooler line flush using 10 quarts of fluid to get as much as possible. The capacity is a bit over 8, so I was probably a bit overkill, but I was doing the job by myself and couldnt clearly see when the fluid was no longer dark grey. I pumped through a lot of red fluid in the end, so Im hoping I replaced most of it. If the fluid had just been a bit discolored, I would have probably just done a drain/fill of 3 quarts or so.

So either the temps get too hot and the fluid is breaking down or there is a lot of transmission wear material in the fluid. Or maybe a bit of both??

Maybe it initial wear and the fluid will do better after a change?

I went with synthetic is not supposed to break down from heat as easily, but only time will tell. I have almost 2 thousand miles on the new fluid so far.

I'm curious to see after a couple of years how the fluid looks and the transmission works.

^^ Did you notice any functionality differences with the new synthetic fluid? Which synthetic did you use?

I checked the color on our fluid and it was light pink with 17,000 miles on the factory fill. I will probably just drain and fill every 15,000 or so, starting very soon.

My ScanGuage will not read my 5's tranny temp. :( rest assured though it doesn't exceed the coolant temp by more than 5-7* in the worst of conditions.

A cooler is ALWAYS a good idea. You could probably get away with a two row cooler.

Changing every 15K is total overkill. 30-50K is more reasonable.

Back