Who has the key FOB(switchblade)

Tifun

:
Audi A8, Mazda 3
I can't seem to find the info I am looking for. Might be using the wrong term. We just got our M3 last night, however the wife doesn't want the say remote that she had on her P5 lol. So I am looking into the Key FOB.....the switchblade type deal. Anyone have any info on them? I see them on ebay, however not sure about the compatibility for the hatches.
Keith
Like this
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

that will work, you can even program them yourself or take it to the dealership

and just F.Y.I. it's MZ3 or Mazda3, M3=bwm

I can't seem to find the info I am looking for. Might be using the wrong term. We just got our M3 last night, however the wife doesn't want the say remote that she had on her P5 lol. So I am looking into the Key FOB.....the switchblade type deal. Anyone have any info on them? I see them on ebay, however not sure about the compatibility for the hatches.
Keith
Like this
https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

There are two flip fobs that are compatible with the Mz3. One is from the Mz6 sedan and has a useless trunk button... this runs around $35. The other is from a MX-5 and has the standard three buttons.... this one costs about $170. Hey, some people are willing to pay the premium to not have a worthless button.

Here's the clincher. In 2007 Mazda changed the US KEU and there are no flip fobs that work with '07+ US models. If you have a '04-'06 model then you're set, otherwise there's no OEM option.

There are a few empty shell flip remotes on ebay where you just remove the circuit board from your stock remote and it pops into the new casing. Then you just need to have the key blade cut, and remove the RFID chip from one of your keys (or get a spare to do this) and insert it in the casing.

That ebay auction doesn't actually list what vehicle it came from, and they're definitely not cross compatible across all models. You would need to make sure the visteon numbers are the same as your current fob. Let me know if you need links for programming, or part numbers for the remotes.

Strobe Media said:
and just F.Y.I. it's MZ3 or Mazda3, M3=bwm

M3=BMW...... sorry, couldn't resist. :)

Cool, thanks for the good info. As for M3, I will refrain from posting it like that lol. Lesson learned, MZ3 from here on out :)

I talked with my uncle about this last night, (39years as a Mazda parts Manager) and he told me they have had issues getting Mz5 keys programed on Mz3s to the point they just cant do it.. so hmm...

I talked with my uncle about this last night, (39years as a Mazda parts Manager) and he told me they have had issues getting Mz5 keys programed on Mz3s to the point they just cant do it.. so hmm...

Are you talking about programming the key to work, or the remote? Despite the flip key being a single unit it's still two different systems clipped together. The key portion contains the same transponder chip that is used across almost the entire Mazda line and will program with no problem. I've had dealers tell me emphatically that it couldn't be programmed while I sat in the car and programmed it in 10 seconds. The remote portion of the Mz5 is not compatible with the Mz3 at all.

If your Uncle tries using these flip key part numbers then they'll work on a '04-'06 US Mz3.
key portion G2YA762GXA
4-button remote (from Mz6) GP7A675RY
3-button remote (from MX5) NE01675RYA

EDIT: Didn't see you were in Canada. In that case there's GP9C675RYB for '07+ models. It's been reported that that remote will also work on '08.5+ models in Canada but that it must be programmed through the dealer's computer vs. by the owner.

hmm ill have to ask him about them they just told me they have tryed to get them to work in the past and failed at it.

Are you talking about programming the key to work, or the remote? Despite the flip key being a single unit it's still two different systems clipped together. The key portion contains the same transponder chip that is used across almost the entire Mazda line and will program with no problem. I've had dealers tell me emphatically that it couldn't be programmed while I sat in the car and programmed it in 10 seconds. The remote portion of the Mz5 is not compatible with the Mz3 at all.

Do I have this correct? You can buy a key without FOB from the dealer, program it, and use it instead of the key with FOB attached to manually unlock the doors and operate the vehicle?

If so, what is the programming procedure?

My car is a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch.

Thanks for any help.

Do I have this correct? You can buy a key without FOB from the dealer, program it, and use it instead of the key with FOB attached to manually unlock the doors and operate the vehicle?

If so, what is the programming procedure?

My car is a 2010 Mazda 3 hatch.

Thanks for any help.

Just to clarify you're saying you have a flip key on your 2010 and want to program a standard non-flip key to your car, yes?

If that's what you're asking then the answer is yes. You can program in a standard transponder key that's cut to your car and it will open your doors and start the car. If you have the advanced keyless entry then the standard key won't work as it blocks off the key slot in the column.

Zoomzoom17 said:
I'd like to get this Key also, I have an '08 Mazda 3i. Anyone know if it'll work?

If you're in Canada, yes. If you're in the US then there are no flip keys that can be programmed for '07-'09 Mz3/MS3 models.

Just to clarify you're saying you have a flip key on your 2010 and want to program a standard non-flip key to your car, yes?

That's exactly what I'd like to do.

If that's what you're asking then the answer is yes. You can program in a standard transponder key that's cut to your car and it will open your doors and start the car. If you have the advanced keyless entry then the standard key won't work as it blocks off the key slot in the column.

I do not have the advanced keyless entry, so I should be good.

Is a standard transponder key available at a locksmith, or do I have to go to a Mazda dealer?

"that's cut to your car" Again, will a locksmith be able to do this, say from the key code? Not sure if the switchblade will interfere.

"You can program" How is the programing done? Is there instructions on the internet somewhere?

Thanks so much for your help, icspots. (drinks)

I'm in BC, Canada...I have an 09 Mz3 GT... Am I able to change to a switchblade key and remote? My mother-in-law has an 09 Mazda 5 and I would really like to use the same key that she has. Any help would be super!!!

I do not have the advanced keyless entry, so I should be good.

Is a standard transponder key available at a locksmith, or do I have to go to a Mazda dealer?

"that's cut to your car" Again, will a locksmith be able to do this, say from the key code? Not sure if the switchblade will interfere.

"You can program" How is the programing done? Is there instructions on the internet somewhere?

Thanks so much for your help, icspots. (drinks)

A transponder key will not be available at a locksmith.... they could probably just cut you a standard metal key but wouldn't be able to program it to the car as it wouldn't have a transponder chip in it. If you bring a locksmith a blank transponder key they should be able to cut it for you by sticking your flip key into the machine and copying it just like any other key. The flip portion won't cause an issue.

That said you can also buy a key online either from a dealer, or from an aftermarket key/remote seller. If you buy from onlinemazdaparts (forum sponsor run from a dealership) Jason will cut it for you for free (if you provide him with your VIN, and if your info. matches what's in the Mazda database). I've also taken a blank key into a dealer and had it cut for free (since I provided the key blank).

Programming is easy. You need to have two working keys in hand to do it yourself, otherwise the dealer will have to do it and will charge you $$. HERE's a walkthrough on the programming.

skallen said:
I'm in BC, Canada...I have an 09 Mz3 GT... Am I able to change to a switchblade key and remote? My mother-in-law has an 09 Mazda 5 and I would really like to use the same key that she has. Any help would be super!!!

Since you're in Canada then yes, you should be able to add a flip key. Bear in mind that the problem is not in the key portion, but rather programming the remote, that causes issues with newer US Mz3's. You need

-Flip-style key blank w/ chip ('04-'10): Part number G2YA762GXA MSRP-$47.45, Website-$37.96
-Flip-style remote fob ('07+ Canadian Models): Part number GP9C675RYB MSPR-$119.19, Website-$95.35

You can program the key with the link I posted above. For the remote I'm told by other Canadian owners that the dealer must program it through the computer. You can of course try out the remote self-programming instructions but bear in mind you may be spending money to get it working.

Back