Whining in 1st gear - even with clutch engaged.

Calvint

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
Hey yall. I've got an 02 p5 with the manual transmission and 172K miles on it. Lately I've noticed a whining in 1st gear. It is mostly when I'm off the throttle and decelerating in gear. If I take it out of gear and into neutral (or any other gear except 1st) it is fine. However, it still whines if I'm in 1st. Clutch makes no difference (it whines with the clutch engaged and disengaged). Any ideas?

I also get a high pitched whining in the lower gears when decelerating. Usually notice it if i'm easing into a stop in second gear, just letting the engine slow it down without touching the clutch or brake, and as soon as I put the clutch in it will stop.

I originally thought it was some kind of intake problem, maybe an air leak, but everything was good in that department. So I kind of just ignore it at this point. Interested to see if anyone has a solution to this problem, it's pretty annoying sometimes.

Just guessing here,... but what about the synchros getting worn out ?? Maybe a gear oil change,... maybe synchro-mesh oil or some kind of oil additive (lucas oil?) might help ???

Calvint: since it happens w/ clutch in or out, don't know.

Entelligent: used to have the same symptoms w/ a Honda I used to have yrs ago. It was a main shaft bearing in the tranny. Heard when downshift decelerating in 1st. Push clutch in, went away. As it got worse, sound spread to 2nd, 3rd, etc.

I also get a high pitched whining in the lower gears when decelerating. Usually notice it if i'm easing into a stop in second gear, just letting the engine slow it down without touching the clutch or brake, and as soon as I put the clutch in it will stop.

I originally thought it was some kind of intake problem, maybe an air leak, but everything was good in that department. So I kind of just ignore it at this point. Interested to see if anyone has a solution to this problem, it's pretty annoying sometimes.

Latest posts

Back