Which trim level for new CX-5?

Alacris

:
CX-9 Grand Touring
Hi all,
My wife's 12 year old CX-9 just got totaled (from what looked like a very minor parking lot collision). We had a great run with it, including some very long road trips so we are likely to stick with Mazda for a replacement. We like the idea of a smaller CX-9 as we didn't use the 3rd row much at all.

Two questions:
Turbo or no turbo? I'll test drive both but wanted to know what you all thought.
Which trim level do you all like? They seem to have so many and then extra options on top of that. I don't think we need the top trim, but a lot of the Premium features did look nice.

I do most of the maintenance myself, so any insights or horror stories would help as well.

Thanks.

Those are loaded questions. :)

For me, personally when I was looking at the CX5 back in 2020, I was eying up the Grand Touring Reserve. The turbo was a requirement.

I test drove both the GTR and Signature and I couldn't see spending more on the Signature at the time. GTR gave all the features I wanted.

In the end, the driver's seat was not comfortable and actually caused my left leg to start to go numb after about 30 minutes so I had to pass on the CX5.

If I were check into it again, Turbo Premium or Signature would be my choice.

Yeah, I know a lot is just personal preference. I was getting more at things like a particular feature doesn't really work, or this other thing is awkward to use, that kind of stuff. Are wiper de-icer's necessary? :)

Never had a car with Android auto or a heads up display so no clue if it's worth it to upgrade there. I think the non-turbo Premium plus has wireless charging and Android auto -- wondering if those are worth it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well, a good thing (IMHO) right now is it's possible to get a cx5 with the old school 2.5na motor that doesn't have CD or ASS. So that's a plus if you were only going for a turbo to avoid those two things. 👍

I love HUD and find value in it / worth getting.

I don't use Android Auto and would prefer to buy aftermarket phone chargers rather than an OEM try to make a factory wi charging pad that's outdated before the car even hits the dealer lot!

Test and check the seats first. They are much different and smaller vs the CX9 from the previous
generations.

Then for turbo or no turbo - I have
both. Turbo is much faster but drinks more fuel.
The non-turbo is good for the usual driving. Both have HUD so to me thats quite useful feature.
Sadly both (Turbo and highest trim non-turbo) are almost same price nowadays upper 30k.
If you dont care for HUD at all, you can drop one trim below Premium Plus (highest non turbo) where pricing is decent.

If money and fuel mpg is no problem, go for the highest trim Signature which has every feature possible.

Last edited:
Welp, I am biased. I love my '23 Turbo Sig. I also have an Accord V6 6-Speed manual, and a truck. The better half has 2 Honda cars.

I love the damn thing. No CVT. Fuel economy and luggage space be damned. Love the 360 camera. Wish the seats had side bolsters that sucked me in like the Honda. I have many friends that have done better than me in life (I get it this the internet and I am not suppossed to say that), and have very expensive cars. Porsche 911 Turbo, CT6-V, Some kinda Mercedes AMG that is sick. Could go on for a bit.

In a nutshell, get the Turbo Sig. You'll be happy.

We just moved from a NA 2018 to a Turbo Carbon edition 2024.

Did not want the NA engine since it is not clear if Mazda ever fixed the cracked head issue. Plus, the turbo is great especially when you need the extra kick on the interstate.

The Carbon edition has a unique 2 tone interior too, heads up display, heated and cooled seats, and rides much nicer than our 2018.

But more expensive than our 2018 which cost us 29K. Our 2024 cost 39K out the door.

Turbo or no turbo? I'll test drive both but wanted to know what you all thought.
If you test drive the Turbo you're going to likely lean toward the turbo 😇

I drove NA CX-5's from 2014 through 2023 and I was fine. But this is definitely better and has me enjoying the car more as a machine to admire and take care of, rather than just (reliable, nice) transportation. And even though it's impressive how hard it pulls stock, I can't help thinking how much is left on the table. A turbo inlet pipe and a tune can unlock another +50 hp/tq.

I like my 23' Turbo. My old DD was a chevy cruze and wanted something that sat up higher so I didn't have to crawl to get in/out anymore. I drove a few different SUVs and liked this the most. I will at times complain about mpgs the most but I guess the Cruze gave me a unrealistic time for many years. I love the HUD, active headlights, stereo system and the peppy turbo motor. My cons are mpgs, cell phone charger area is worthless and at times the auto headlights, wipers have a mind of their own.

I like my 23' Turbo. My old DD was a chevy cruze and wanted something that sat up higher so I didn't have to crawl to get in/out anymore. I drove a few different SUVs and liked this the most. I will at times complain about mpgs the most but I guess the Cruze gave me a unrealistic time for many years. I love the HUD, active headlights, stereo system and the peppy turbo motor. My cons are mpgs, cell phone charger area is worthless and at times the auto headlights, wipers have a mind of their own.
Having our 2024 Turbo for 2 months I am surprised that the MPG are as good as they are...we are getting 28 around town and 31 on the interstate at 65 MPH. (drops to 28-29 when going over 70)

I have about 16000 miles on our 2023 cx5 turbo and I don't think I have ever gotten under about 25 mpg and as high as 33mpg. I hand check nearly every fill up and the cars computer usually reads slightly less than actual.

Did not want the NA engine since it is not clear if Mazda ever fixed the cracked head issue. ...
Mazda has always been VERY quiet about anything related to CD, including initial rollout, all of the CD-related issues, and also the most recent and amazing thing they did with the 2024 CX-5. When Mazda announced that some of the 2024 NAs would not have CD and Istop, I just assumed that all of the CD-related hardware was installed, and those 2 features would not be activated, because I couldn't imagine them building a new engine just to resolve a 'parts shortage'.

Well, lo and behold, a few weeks ago on another site, an owner confirmed that their 2024 NA actually has the original gen 1 PY-VPS, along with all related drivetrain components. So not a new engine because Mazda just went back to using an oldie but goodie. It sounds like you're happy with the turbo that you purchased, and that's great. However, although @HyFlyer already mentioned this previously, I believe it's worth saying it one more time.

I know that the great majority of prospective buyers know nothing about CD, and could care less about it. But for those few who do know and care a lot, you can now have a CX-5 with all of the latest and greatest features that come with a 2024, and it will also have a drivetrain that's very likely to be just as reliable as a 2016 (and with a lower sales price as well). So if you don't want CD or a turbo, just look for the 2024 CX-5 that have an 'L' in position 8 of the VIN. Exactly what a number of people here have wished for, so some wishes do come true (y)

It’s totally personal preference, so I would say test one out with the features you’re considering and see if you care for them! Cause for me, HUD’s are unnecessary, the NA motor is still great, smooth, and satisfying to me (it’s all perspective), and wireless charging seems like a gimmick. But to each their own, I can totally see why folks love these features! (especially the turbo) I got the highest non turbo trim back in ‘21, and that’s probably around what I’d opt for again if looking for a ‘24 - the turbo would be awesome in many ways don’t get me wrong, but there’s no need for speed if you’ve never had it ;) Compared to my brothers JK wrangler and some vehicles I drive for work my car feels fast, so I’ll stop rambling but it’s really up to you how each motor feels!

It’s totally personal preference, so I would say test one out with the features you’re considering and see if you care for them! Cause for me, HUD’s are unnecessary, the NA motor is still great, smooth, and satisfying to me (it’s all perspective), and wireless charging seems like a gimmick. But to each their own, I can totally see why folks love these features! (especially the turbo) I got the highest non turbo trim back in ‘21, and that’s probably around what I’d opt for again if looking for a ‘24 - the turbo would be awesome in many ways don’t get me wrong, but there’s no need for speed if you’ve never had it ;) Compared to my brothers JK wrangler and some vehicles I drive for work my car feels fast, so I’ll stop rambling but it’s really up to you how each motor feels!
Actually the turbo in my case isn't about speed. I have a 16 NA and a 19 T. The turbo just delivers power in a much smoother way, like a V6. In the NA if you want more power at certain ranges you really have to press the accelerator before the car responds. The turbo responds immediately when the accelerator is touched. To each his/her own.

M is the old supply. L is from November build date and no CD. Another way is to look for I-stop button. If no button, no CD. its a physical button.

the L is also a tad lighter as total car weight which probably confirms hardware is different too.
I think also the monroney label shows 1mpg less too. Thats for the NA engine.

The turbo 2024 got some fuel mpg enhancements so supposedly Turbo 24 is a bit better in terms of mpg.

On the other hand, The Turbo may have some fuel dilusion issues if driving in the city and very short distances. The NA doesnt have that much in the same driving conditions. Turbo is always running on the rich side.

Both are good choices. Have both and I prefer the NA for city driving and short driving. The Turbo always makes you want to drive faster but is great for long drives :)

For long time ownership, say 10 years 120,000 miles cost of owneship is much cheaper too for the NA.

Last edited:
Mazda has always been VERY quiet about anything related to CD, including initial rollout, all of the CD-related issues, and also the most recent and amazing thing they did with the 2024 CX-5. When Mazda announced that some of the 2024 NAs would not have CD and Istop
Good info, but is the cylinder head casting issue related at all to CD? I didn't think so.

Good info, but is the cylinder head casting issue related at all to CD? I didn't think so.
By 'all CD', I'm assuming you mean all models/years having NA/CD. You asked the million dollar question, and only the Mazda inner circle knows the complete story for certain. Some of it has become public knowledge, based on very reliable and helpful information from Mazda techs; reports by owners; and also the NHTSA complaint website.

What's known for certain is that cracked heads has been a really big deal on the 2018 CX-5, which was the first implementation of CD by Mazda. Also, the 2019 CX-5 has had quite a few cracked head reports, but almost certainly not nearly (so far) at the level of the 2018. But going beyond the 2018/2019 CX-5, things get quite a bit more uncertain. The Mazda techs say they have done 'a few' cracked heads beyond 2018/2019 CX-5, and there also was one confirmed (documented) 2022 cracked head reported here as well. And also, just a very small number of cracked head reports show up beyond 2018/2019 on NHTSA as well (all models having CD, not just the CX-5).

So it's clear that cracked heads outside of 2018/2019 CX-5, so far anyway, would have to be described as a very low volume issue. That said, it's always been concerning and very puzzling to me why there should be ANY cracked heads beyond 2019 at all. With the huge hit they took early on with this, I'd assume that Mazda upper management would have been hovering over the 'bad casting' issue and demanding that it be 100% resolved.

So the fact that even just a few cracked heads have been reported on the later models means that this problem cannot have been fully resolved yet. I can't imagine the factory being allowed to use leftover heads on the later model years, that were cast in 2018/2019. So that means that at least some number of newer castings were bad. One possible factor might be the protruding areas of the back of the head, which are where the HLA ports are located, and where the crack in the head always appears to be located. Perhaps those protrusions are difficult for the liquid metal to flow into completely, and they just can't get to 100% perfection, even with excellent QA. Just speculation there, and the root cause could probably be a number of other reasons as well, including something other than bad castings being a factor.

But the bottom line on this, and the (long winded) answer to your question is that there have been at least a few cracked heads on the later CD model years, and so this issue is still an open book - one which might very well have additional chapters yet to come.

And that leaves it up in the air for those looking at a 2024 CX5. Although, as documented above, CD may have been removed from some new NA 2024 CX5s, they may still be using the same heads which have been known to crack.

Back