Which tires would you recommend?

rollazn

:
Mazdaspeed 3
Hey guys,

Just found out my front two tires on my MS3 are totally worn out @ only 13K! Blah.

Time for new tires! I have a few questions that I'd appreciate if anyone could answer.

1. What are the advantage/disadvantage of having 225 instead of 215? I don't think it would make any difference at all performance wise right? Would getting wider tires just be to get wider tires meaning there will be no real advantage? I'm either going to get stock size (215/45/18) or 225/45/18.

2. Since I live in Texas, I don't really need all-season tires. I'm looking for tires that would perform well in dry but also not bad in wet condition. Looking for some that will last treadwise. Which would you guys recommend?

Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 (Max Performance Summer)
Dunlop SP Sport Signature (Ultra High Performance All-Season)
Sumitomo HTR Z III (Max Performance Summer)

I'm leanin' toward the Hankook right now, do ya have any other suggestion?

And also should I stick with stock size or go up in size (I heard tread won't wear out as much with wider tires).

edit:

Actually I heard that 225/45/18 might rub depending on the tires... would you guys recommend 225/40/18 instead?

Get the Hankook's. Great tire at a reasonable price. There is some debate about how much performance you can gain from getting over-sized (wider than the rim) tires. I am not an expert, but IMHO as long as the tire you select has a contact patch width that is equal to or slightly bigger than the width of the rims you are good to go. The added expense and weight of getting a bigger tire are no longer worth it. My advice would be to get which ever tire matches the width of your rim most closely and be done with it. I should mention that if the "performance" that you are looking for is in a strait line at the drag strip you can disregard what I have said as I don't know a damn thing about that type of performance. Hope this helps.

Kumho SPTs also are a great choice. They are a predictable tire and when the traction starts to give it doesnt just drop off like some tires, it will slowly fade away giving you some time to either push a tad more or back off.

oops forgot to add,

yes on the 225 go with the 40/18. You will not rub. I also ran that when I was dropped on the pro kit and had no rubbing issues. (this is assuming your using a stock sized wheel)

Yeah that's what im probably gonna do!

Hankook 225/40/18 + shipping = $486.32 - ($50 mail in rebate)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=EP

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=118

Get the RE11's and be done with it. Top rated in objective testing and in customer survey results.

If I were going with a replacement extreme performance tire that would be it. I chose a highly rated A/S because we do get a bit of cold weather, just enough to make summer tires get very hard and slippery, but not enough to justify a separate set of wheels and tires for winter. Also we have a lot of rain here.

But the RE11's are awesome all around performers, in the dry and especially in the wet, where a daily driver might need a little help.

Last edited:
Personally, I plan to either stick with the Yokohama S-Drives I ride on now or try the Hankooks you mentioned when I need new tires. Both perform fairly well for daily driving and are on the lower end of the price spectrum for higher performance Summer tires.

The only question I have about the Hankooks is their total life expectancy. (And no, the treadwear rating does not truly predict life expectancy.) I know a few people riding on the Hankooks who are quite happy with them, but I'm waiting to see how long they last in real life driving by people I know.

I personally don't think much of the Hankook V12's I have only had them on the car for 800 miles and I already have a bad tire, totally sucks, trying to get resolved right now. Just to much slop on apex's at high speed. I guess I get what I paid for.

Back