Which choice to go with on HID fogs?

StormTrooper6

:
2006 Mazdaspeed6 Sport
Been looking everywhere but i can't find whether people are going with the normal raptor HID kit for the fogs or the "slim line" series. What did you go with? thanks for the help :D

Whatever you go with, find some that actually fit our fog lights without modification. The H11 bulb is shorter than what the DDM bulbs actually come as, which require you to break or modify the diffuser in the fog light.

What color are you going with?

Whatever you go with, find some that actually fit our fog lights without modification. The H11 bulb is shorter than what the DDM bulbs actually come as, which require you to break or modify the diffuser in the fog light.

What color are you going with?

I was hoping you would have already found one that fit nicely to help me out a bit in this situation lol. Did you get the slim ballast or the normal one for your HID fog kit? I will be going with the 5000K most likely. I like the temp of the stock setup just a hair more blue in it for me, I just want to keep a good amount of usable light. Hopefully later, way later down the road i can swap in the rdx projectors that block8head used for his retrofit.

Last edited:
i've been looking at the compare chart between the normal ballast and the slimline ballast for the kits and it states that they both have digital out but the normal raptor v2 has analog in while the slim has digital in. Any clue as to what this means?

I know its irrelevant, but I have yellow fogs, the standard speed6 HID's, white LEDs for parking lights and rear license plate lights too. I was considering doing HID fogs, but I definitely like this current light set up.

I was hoping you would have already found one that fit nicely to help me out a bit in this situation lol. Did you get the slim ballast or the normal one for your HID fog kit? I will be going with the 5000K most likely. I like the temp of the stock setup just a hair more blue in it for me, I just want to keep a good amount of usable light. Hopefully later, way later down the road i can swap in the rdx projectors that block8head used for his retrofit.

Unfortunately my only experience has been with the DDM Raptor kit. It's got the smaller ballasts (the sizes are in a .pdf on the DDM site) and bulbs. I went with 6000k all around, and to me, match up best with the cool white LEDs that a lot of people put in their running lights.

Unfortunately my only experience has been with the DDM Raptor kit. It's got the smaller ballasts (the sizes are in a .pdf on the DDM site) and bulbs. I went with 6000k all around, and to me, match up best with the cool white LEDs that a lot of people put in their running lights.

Yea i read through that and saw that it had smaller ballasts just wasn't sure if the bulb was smaller as well. I didn't see anything that would suggest that, maybe i'm just hoping lol. and once again any info on the the whole "slim with digital in and regular with analog in" dilemma? it's really confusing me and i want to order this setup asap but don't want to order one that wont work

Last edited:
I believe the digital are the smaller ones. I honestly don't really care that much either way.

forget it just ordered the regular raptor kit to be safe and save 20 bucks :). oh btw. went with the 6000K. Tunersteve you should be proud with all that convincing you did :D . it's gonna be $58.57 shipped to my door

Hey Steve do you or really anybody have a picture of how you had to modify the foglight housing to get the bulb to fit?

I have HIDExtra's 3000k HID setup for my fogs. I have 6000k kits from them as well for lows and highs but I haven't installed them yet.

And yes, I DO need more output with my highbeams. I drive with them on a lot where I live...the Silverstars aren't cutting it...

Hey Steve do you or really anybody have a picture of how you had to modify the foglight housing to get the bulb to fit?

ur gunna have take the actual foglight out. meaning where you put the bulb in, you would have to take that out. Its held by 3 screws.

Then when you take it out, ur gunna have to stick ur finger in there and push it back and forth ( it may take some time ) until the metal breaks off.

Then grab some plyers and squeeze the metal from each side to make it small so it can fit through the foglight hole.

When ur done doing that, put the foglight back in, then put the bulb in and connect the ballast.

Turn ur car on and u should be all set

any questions, feel free to ask me

ur gunna have take the actual foglight out. meaning where you put the bulb in, you would have to take that out. Its held by 3 screws.

Then when you take it out, ur gunna have to stick ur finger in there and push it back and forth ( it may take some time ) until the metal breaks off.

Then grab some plyers and squeeze the metal from each side to make it small so it can fit through the foglight hole.

When ur done doing that, put the foglight back in, then put the bulb in and connect the ballast.

Turn ur car on and u should be all set

any questions, feel free to ask me

okay thanks man, i've got some time anyways since i called today to see why it hadn't shipped yet and they said it's on back-order so the latest it will ship is tuesday :(

just letting u know man.. this process might take a while cuz taken out the fog lights is a b****.. (the actual bog light plastic thing not the bulb)

I've been eyeing this setup for a while... I'll make a decision after I see pics lol. I was a big fan of Tunersteve's setup to honest.

Hope to get some feedback when theyre in.

Pics of different selections for HID fog lights... different setups and temperatures people went with. Don't want to demand for them, but they are nice.

Back