Which aftermarket head unit for CX-5

CX5Gris

So I am looking at the Kenwood DNX691HD, mostly because it has the garmin nav with live traffic rerouting (when connected through their garmin phone app) and the overall sound quality/is great.

My question is on the installation & integration to factory MAZDA/Bose wiring. I want to maintain OEM handsfree, steering wheel controls, Backup camera, etc.

So, is there any of the leading Kenwood/Pioneer/Clarion/Alpine headunits better fitted to integrate with Mazda OEM features? If they all use the same PAC RP4-MZ11 adapter, then they should all be equally difficult to install, right?

I did not hear good things, about the 690HD. I don't know anything about the 691HD. You should look it up, in the kenwoodforums.com, to be sure.
I have installed a DNX6990HD and the only thing, that I don't like, is that I can't switch between memorized radio stations. It jumps by frequency(step by step).
OEM handsfree is in the radio, no? If you remove the radio, than that is gone too. At least, that is how in my base Touring.
You will be loosing all the car's setting(light, settings, door opening, etc.), so you will have to set them and then remove the radio. To change these, you will have to put back the original radio.

So, is there any of the leading Kenwood/Pioneer/Clarion/Alpine headunits better fitted to integrate with Mazda OEM features? If they all use the same PAC RP4-MZ11 adapter, then they should all be equally difficult to install, right?

Yes they do all need/use the PAC, and yes they are equally difficult. :)

Personally, I have the Kenwood DDX-491HD head unit and think the interface sucks. Not sure if others are better or not, but I'd advise you to take a USB drive full of songs (or iPod - whatever is your poison), to your local bricks and mortar stores and test drive all the ones you are interested in. Spend a lot of time navigating the screens, music, radio stations, with each and see which is most intuitive and which you prefer. Remember ease of use if everything in head units. Nothing worse than having to remember how to navigate through multiple arcane screens, or struggling to read the info on the screen you have, while driving along at 60mph!

I'll go out on a limb and say there won't be a lot of audio quality difference between the big brands, when installed in the car and driving along.

Last edited:
How do you replace the unit, but, still have setup like the locks and lights setup for the CX-5, since it's all through that same unit??

Thank you for the comments. I guess I need to go for test drives of these...RedBaron is right, interface is very important...and I was only focused on GPS functionality...

I understand that with an aftermarket head unit I'll loose the ability to control some settings such as how many door locks open with the keyless entry , length of time headlights keep on after shutting off car, etc.

I don't normally change those once set; so it will not bother me, and I will keep the OEM radio for when I am ready to sale the vehicle .,.for the next owner to have.

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments. I guess I need to go for test drives of these...RedBaron is right, interface is very important...and I was only focused on GPS functionality...

I understand that with an aftermarket head unit I'll loose the ability to control some settings such as how many door locks open with the keyless entry , length of time headlights keep on after shutting off car, etc.

I don't normally change those once set; so it will not bother me, and I will keep the OEM radio for when I am ready to sale the vehicle .,.for the next owner to have.

Going to an autoshop, Best Buy, or the like that has example head units to test is a good way to know what you're getting. After my own personal research, I found the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX to be one of the best I could buy for what I personally wanted in a head unit. It doesn't have navigation built in (though you can add it as an option) as I already have a standalone Garmin. There's an entire thread dedicated on how to install a Pioneer AVH-4000NEX on this forum that you can search for, and those instructions/tips can be tinkered to the installation of other head units.

Once you take out the OEM head unit, you will lose the ability to change those settings as you've mentioned, but it's not entirely too difficult to temporarily re-connect the old head unit to change them if you feel like it down the road. Or, you could take it to your Mazda dealer and they can change it for you. Something I've noticed from my experience: it seems like the Centerpoint option (if you have the Bose speakers) carries over to the new head units and increases my volume slightly as the cabin noise increases from speeding up. Not sure if other head units have that kind of built-in feature, but the AVH-4000NEX doesn't, so it has to be the Bose amp unit's Centerpoint. Something to consider when setting your options for the last time.

Changing the HU has made me love my Mazda so much more now that it has all the entertainment options I wanted. And the ability to mess with the EQ with much more detail as opposed to just generic Treble and Bass gain brought up the overall sound quality in the CX-5. Granted, it could be a lot better if there was a built-in standalone sub for Bose, but I'm learning to live with it as I don't currently have any pressing need to do a speaker replacement.

Last edited:
CX5Gris, yes I am. Everything is OEM except for the microphone in the map lights and head unit. The backup camera, Bose amp, 9-speakers, and antenna are all original.

It is a powered one and it has a specific connector. Aftermarket mics, have the regular phone plug, at least that how it is on Kenwood units.
I have been using Kenwoods for a while, so I'm used to how to find everything and it's not a big deal, after you get used to it.
After having this 6.1" screen unit, I would say that the frame adapter is in the volume button's way. I would go for a 7" screen one.
I haven't played with the phone's voice commands yet either, so I don't know how it's working yet, but I have tried my wife's DNX570HD and it did not recognize my voice commands at all.
DNX units have a different interface than DDX units(DNX has nav, DDX doesn't).
I'm not sure how it is on the DDX, but the DNX has an icon slide feature, like sliding screens on the phone. The bottom row slides left and right. The upper three icons can be changed to the most used ones. Hold and slide up the wanted icon.
Excelon units have 2 years warranty, better amps, bigger output voltage, etc.
The DNN units have wi-fi in them.

How difficult was it to install the new mic..why not keep the OEM?

as tibimakai said above, the OEM microphone has a specific plug that's powered. Can't use it for aftermarket. The install of the aftermarket mic can be really easy if you don't mind having it out in the open somewhere, but if you want to hide it in the map lights where the existing OEM mic is, you'll have to run the cable behind the overhead and side panels. It can take a bit, at least it did for me. Fish tape is a MUST in my opinion if you want to make it look professional and hide the wires. It's not hard, but it does take same patience and time to do.

I did not take much apart when I installed my mic. I took off the sunglass holder to install mic, I have pushed the wire toward the windshield and I have just pushed in the wire behind the headliner along the windshield all the way to the a pillar.
There is the end of the plastic on the a pillar, I have just pushed the wire into that gap.
At the door, I have pulled out the rubber seal all the way down where the das ends. I have placed the wire in there and pushed the rubber seal back in it's position.
I have routed the wire under the dash, all the way into the stereo. Done in a couple of minutes, without taking much apart.

Actually it works, I have found the info online. Just have to push the SEEK like two times(Auto 1, Auto 2 and Manual, they don't show up anywhere , but they do switch).

I used the Audio controls DQ-61 on my factory radio so I could keep everything looking stock with factory controls yet get good tuning ability and top notch sound. Best thing about the DQ-61 is the time alignment, which brings my sub up front and aligns my speakers so they all get to me at the same point. The difference time alignment makes is amazing. I also like that it's super easy to set up.

http://www.audiocontrol.com/t34/17612/763279/OEM-Integration/DQ--61.html

You may want to consider this option.

as tibimakai said above, the OEM microphone has a specific plug that's powered. Can't use it for aftermarket. The install of the aftermarket mic can be really easy if you don't mind having it out in the open somewhere, but if you want to hide it in the map lights where the existing OEM mic is, you'll have to run the cable behind the overhead and side panels. It can take a bit, at least it did for me. Fish tape is a MUST in my opinion if you want to make it look professional and hide the wires. It's not hard, but it does take same patience and time to do.

For those contemplating this you can either route the wire as S-A says, or reuse the existing wiring (but NOT the mic). Up to you as to which you'd find easiest:

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...-Bluetooth-Microphone-with-Aftermarket-Stereo

How difficult was it to install the new mic..why not keep the OEM?

Not too difficult. If you're comfortable removing the trim and overhead console it's actually pretty easy. Remove the overhead console, remove the factory mic, install aftermarket mic in same place, push wire through the front opening of the headliner, pull back left pillar trim. Use fish tape to fish the wire down the pillar and into the foot well. Then just route it up to the head unit. I walk through the whole process on my write up.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123840616-Pioneer-AVH-4000-NEX-Install

I have just used a plastic trim removal tool, when I was pushing in the cable. Did remove only the console and door seal at the A pillar and side of the dash.

Bumping this up...I'm with someone else who said I'm going to love this vehicle as soon as I get the darn infotainment crap fixed. I need nav for sure. Any other input on aftermarket units? Are the presets like the lights etc. really the ONLY thing that is lost going this direction? I like the steering wheel controls and am afraid this will be lost. Also what's the impact on the backup camera? I plan to have whatever I choose professionally installed so I at least get some kind of warranty on the work.

Last edited:
Back