Which 2014 Mazda 6 Options/Features fall short/exceed expectations

trincinf

:
2014 Mazda 6 GT/Soul Red/Sand
After having my Mazda 6 for a month now, I am more used to the car and I still love it and have no regrets. After having a 1st AND 2nd generation Mazda 6 (S Grand Touring on both), I think Mazda really fell short in terms of execution with a lot of the features of the car, and I find them really annoying. I also want to add that the operation of the 2nd generation navigation system is where Mazda REALLY jumped the shark and went backwards! Here are my pet peeves and major likes, what are yours?

Pet Peeves
o After turning the vehicle off, I am only able to raise the drivers side window. I need to have the ignition on to close the rest of the windows and moon-roof. Every other car in the world allows you to close all windows after the ignition is off.

o I have the M6 Grand Touring with the auto-dimming mirrors, but the passenger sided mirror does not dim. WTF Mazda?

o The navigation system, bluetooth, iphone-ipod integration - all of the above, and we all know the complaints about this.

o Lack of storage space in the door - could have used door pockets as there is plenty of real-estate there.

o Glove compartment has no resistance. When you open, it just crashes open and really needs a governor to smoothly open it.

o When folding down rear seats from the trunk, you need to hit the latch, then go to the back door and push the seat down. In the 2nd, and 3rd generation 6's and when you hit the latch, the seats were spring loaded and flopped down automatically. Really comes in handy when you are trying to keep a shopping cart from hitting your car or having it roll away in the parking lot.

o My car is equipped with remote auto-start, and it requires a separate and HUGE key fob. The separate key fob does not operation as a smart key, so you need two huge fobs in your pocket if you want to use remote autostart. No, I am not happy to see you, it is just a huge key fob in my pocket! (rofl2). A friend of mine has a Chevy Suburban, and he can autostart from his normal size FOB. Mazda could have done that too!

o Voice commnands seem to be illogical. maybe I need to get used to it better, but making a phone call seems to be a real pain. After finally getting the system to dial the phone from your phonebook or a direct dialed number, you still have to push the phone button to complete the call. I find myself using the keypad on the screen to do everything and not using voice commands.

o hood latch - really hard to find the secondary lock on the hood to open it.

o Fuel door opener latch location - kind of inconvenient, all I can say here and starting to feel really picky.

o Rear backup camera - the outlines dont move/steer you in the right direction like other manufacturers backup cameras do. Dont get me wrong, I know how to back up without the camera, but a friend of mine brought this to my attention that his Altima does this. ouch! Not sure if this is because I dont have park assist, but it should be built in to the S GT

Here is where I think they did an excellent job

o Active cruise control - love it, love it, love it! Did not think I would use it much, but wow, what a smart feature.

o MPG - LOVE the balance of performance and MPG. I am averaging 30.5 mpg and am not driving like an AARP member. Not trying to qualify for Nascar either.

o Quality of materials, fit and finish, and the almond leather with black highlights with red stitching. Feels like a very high-end vehicle.

o Transmission - smooth shifting, very responsive to my driving need and almost a zen experience, and love the paddle shifters for taking manual control when merging in heavy traffic, etc.

o Overall fit an finish of the entire vehicle.

o turning radius is great.

o Dash layout, temperature controls locations, vent locations, gauge layout/look, information screen, (although take a couple of point off for small navigation screen)

o Power vs. performance vs. mileage - perfect balance.

o smart keyless entry system (other than above)

I have had my car for almost 2 months and while I still love the car and have no regrets like yourself, I do agree with you on some of the cons.

I also think it is dumb that you can only raise and lover the drivers side window with the ignition off. My 97 Accord had the ability for all windows and sunroof to raise and lower without ignition being on!

As for some of the other cons, this is my first new car and a lot of the features I have now (Grand Touring trim) were non existent on my 97. I'm still getting used to all of them!

Pros:
I also love the radar cruise control! I don't do much highway driving, but when I do it is amazing to have! I did take a trip to Pennsylvania and it was awesome! When a construction area came up I just let it follow a car ahead of me to slow down with the reduced speed and then speed up again. Didn't have to touch the pedals!

I also agree the quality and fit and finish are great. I have the black interior, but it still has the red stitching which is classy.

I agree with your other pros as well.

While no car is perfect, the Mazda6 does a lot of things well. I don't regret buying it at all and enjoy driving it everyday!

I will nit-pick just a few minor annoyances on my 2014 Sport Manual, now that I have almost 15k miles on her(eek)

For a man 6'4, the door sills are very wide and the roof is low. I know this adds to the sporty look of the car, but it does make it a bit annoying to get in and out of. I kind of have to duck and roll to get out of the car.

I listen to Pandora all the time via my iPhone, and the steering wheel control and next track buttons on the radio won't skip to the next song. If I press next track, it starts playing music that is downloaded to my phone.

I'm not 100% sure if it's the tires or the lack of insulation, but road noise is a bit more than I would care for. I will be replacing the Yokohoma Advans for something quieter.

The piano black trim around the side windows and the gear shifter show fingerprints and dust more than I would like.

I will second the fact that there are no door pockets for storage and the fact you have to dance around the car to fold seats flat. Who couldn't use a little more storage and why cant the latches be in the back seat instead of the trunk.

The only mechanical gripe is the clutch on the 6spd could be a little firmer with a little more feedback. It takes a while to get used to. I also dislike the fact that the brake engages for 2~3 seconds when on a hill and the clutch is released to prevent rollback. I bought a manual because I know how to drive one, and this has caused me to nearly stall a couple of time.

The interior carpet seems to be a bit cheaply made compared to other cars I have owned, and the cloth buckets are bad to pick up lint.

Really, these are all just very minor nitpicks, and I have been extremely happy with the car so far. Average mileage for the life of the car has been 35.7mpg and that is why I bought it. I hope to see 300k with no major issues!

If I posted about the Pros, I would have to write a book. Suffice to say that I love my 6 and I have not regretted the purchase one bit.

I have had mine for about a month now GS with leather manual transmission. Coming from a 9 year old Quest mini-van, I don't have much to complain about so far. With respect to the windows, when I close the ignition I can close all the windows unless someone opens a door but can not close the moon roof. I have to push the button twice with out starting to close it.

I've had my 6GT since the end of May and I also have some ideas on a few things I wish were better. As mentioned earlier, the fuel door latch. Though not a big deal, I need to look to make sure I'm hitting the right latch so I don't open the trunk or hood. On my previous car (CX7), you hold a button down on the FOB and the windows would open. Came in handy on hot days to let the heat out but the 6 doesn't have it. I also miss being able to raise the windows or close the sunroof like I could on the CX7 after I shut off the engine. There's also no auto up/down for the passenger window. Other than that, I'm loving my 6.

im in a touring w/ no other packages. i agree w/ much of what's been said already.

pros:

Blind spot monitoring - this is really helpful, as the C pillar on this car and smaller rear window reduce visibility.
Back up cross traffic monitor - this has been handy as i live on the corner of a roundabout street, always cars coming from every which way.
splash shield cutouts - make changing oil a breeze, they actually line up to the filter and drain plug unlike my prev gen mz3

cons:

soft touch dash - PITA to clean!
center arm rest - the sliding lid is nice, but its always moving around too easily
windows - why is the passenger not one touch up/down?
outside temp - this thing doesnt seem to read the right temp, always 5-7 deg hotter.

It is interesting how they option things out for different regions.

In Canada, they have a GX, GS, GT trims. I have a GS and all windows have the auto up/down feature.

I also like the Blind spot monitoring and Backup cross traffic. The other day the Backup cross traffic picked up some people walking towards the car so I was able to stop and let them pass.

In Canada, they have a GX, GS, GT trims. I have a GS and all windows have the auto up/down feature.

I also like the Blind spot monitoring and Backup cross traffic. The other day the Backup cross traffic picked up some people walking towards the car so I was able to stop and let them pass.

i want your window switches...

WTF Mazda!!!!!

Why would Mazda do that to the US Market? And what about the other posting that said the guy can raise his windows after the engine is shut down but not the moonroof. Again, poor execution!

im in a touring w/ no other packages. i agree w/ much of what's been said already.
center arm rest - the sliding lid is nice, but its always moving around too easily

Huh. My sport doesn't have the sliding armrest lid unless it's a feature I've not discovered. You mean it slides foward and backward?

One other thing. The pass. windows and door lock buttons should be backlit like the drivers window button.

pro: looks good. a well-proprtioned car.
reflex blue is an awesome color.
interior is gorgeous.
car feels solid.

con: no wagon for the USA
no diesel for the USA
wish the car had just a bit more power and torque
the ipod interface is awful.

Back