Where is my oil going?

323CiP5

:
Protege5
Hi everyone.

My oil disappears somewhere. I have no visible leaks, and it doesn't seem to be burning oil (smoke would be blue right?) Is there anywhere else my oil can go?

from those two other threads it sounds like that if you use synthetic oil it's supposed to burn, on start up there is smoke, soot on the back bumper

i get no smoke, no soot, I don't use synthetic oil on this car (but my bmw uses synthetic and never had this problem)

My oil was changed about 500km ago, and yes the drain plug is on and tight (no leaks around it or oil filter)

thanks for the threads.

how do i check for blow by? and how do i do a leak down test?

thanks everyone

forgot to mention...i'm using 10w30, car has about 90,000 km, pcv vavle works fine.
no oil in the coolant

my bro has the same car about the same mileage and he hasn't experienced this.

Last edited:
from those two other threads it sounds like that if you use synthetic oil it's supposed to burn, on start up there is smoke, soot on the back bumper

Sounds like a wife's tale to me. I've been using 5W30 mobil 1 from day one and have 157,000 miles on the car. Never lost oil like that.

Here is a link for explaining a leakdown test.

http://www.geocities.com/dsmgrrrl/FAQs/leakdown.htm

In my younger days, we would do a compression test and then squirt in a little oil (drops) and do another compression test.

I had the same problem, started about a year ago for me (120,000k) every 2-4k my dipstick would show dry, no smoke or leaks to be seen anywhere...I took it to the dealer and they had me start an oil consumption log. After 2 months of continued oil loss they had me going to the dealer every 2 weeks for them to check my oil(so they could see for themselves). After about 2 months(now 130,000) they told me that they would call mazda and have my car assessed by the warranty adjuster. They called me back on the day of the assessment to explain that my car was going to be repaired under my extended warranty, although they never did say exactly what was wrong.....In the end they had replaced my engine block, refinished the head etc. It's like having a brand new motor at 130,000km.

I would go to the dealer and talk to them about it. This problem seems to be getting more & more common

Back