where do the brake pad spring go

SocialStealth

:
2002 Mazda Protege ES, 120k miles
i can't ******* find where the **** damn brake pad spring goes. i ran out of ******* brake fluid and now i have to ******* bleed the entire brake system **** **** ****!

where does this goddamn spring go? I looked in the brake pad how-to's and couldn't find it.

Lol, take a breather buddy, I know how it feels when you get frustraded working on cars, TRUST ME, I have been through it all. Not having the right tools, screw, angle, fitment, etc. etc., there is always some bull that comes between the job getting done, but you always have to remember that it will always work out and everything can be fixed.

Now for your problem, do you mean the spring that holds the pads in place? It goes on top of the caliper. It is hard to explain, but each end goes in one part to the other part. Is that the spring you are talking about?

Lol, take a breather buddy, I know how it feels when you get frustraded working on cars, TRUST ME, I have been through it all. Not having the right tools, screw, angle, fitment, etc. etc., there is always some bull that comes between the job getting done, but you always have to remember that it will always work out and everything can be fixed.

Now for your problem, do you mean the spring that holds the pads in place? It goes on top of the caliper. It is hard to explain, but each end goes in one part to the other part. Is that the spring you are talking about?

I mean the metal thing that looks like they unbent a paperclip; it holds the pads away from the rotors i believe. I cant for the life of me figure out how to fit it on.

doesn't matter any more. Its too late. I already have to bleed the whole system. Before I was franticly searching for a picture of the clips/spring before I ran out of brake fluid (my brother used most of the bottle i bought :mad:

1st off: No swearing in thread titles.

2nd off: Why the **** do you need to ******* bleed the ******* brakes to put these ******* springs on? That ******* doesn't make any ******* sense. (you see how dumb you look when you write posts like that?)

3rd off: They go on the inside of the pad near where it meets the caliper bracket (near the clips that jamesk described). I'd take a picture, but I don't have a protege anymore. They do keep the pad off the rotor, so there's really not that many places they can go...

4th off: You don't even need them. Again, I don't see what the huge deal is

5th off: I still have no idea what these springs have to do with bleeding the brakes....

EDIT: if you were running out of brake fluid, and I know this is crazy, why didn't you just, I don't know, stop bleeding the brakes until you figured out what was going on? Your posts make it sound like without these springs the calipers are just hemorrhaging brake fluid...

Last edited:
z0mg I ******' made you some ****** MSPaint s*** showin' how the ****** things go the **** together

(gah)

Attachments

• Brakes.JPG
    Brakes.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 1,464
In this case, a picture is worth a thousand 4-letter words

That's a great diagram. The shop manual doesn't do a good job of showing where the M-clips go.

And you can put the M-clips on without opening up the brake hydraulic system.

The Clips? You can do an entire brake job without cracking open the hydraulics. I'm still baffled by why this was even an issue...

Good picture - to clarify one spring on each end mirroring each other (only one shown in the pix).

You mean taken from the thread that didn't have any pictures of that? (rofl2)

Try again. The pic was taken from the thread I linked to... You must have missed it.

1st picture of post 4.

______
edit-

You mean- that the spring wasn't referenced as part of the how to? lol... I get it now.

thx you guys. I was changing out 3 of the 4 calipers. so I needed to bleed the brakes. I was just mad and frustrated. sorry for the trouble. But thank you for the diagrams, very helpful. I got all of the calipers on successfully :)

Changing 3 of the 4 calipers, sure you need to bleed the brakes. But I still don't get why you went through "so much" brake fluid on account of not having the springs.

And we would also like to know why you kept bleeding the brakes to the point where the fluid ran out. :D

^ i could see that. I would bleed each caliper until the fluid ran clear. Topping off after each caliper. Could use up most of a bottle.

The brake line was in the way of the caliper bolt, so I had to remove the brake line from the caliper to get it off. I had bought a bottle of brake fluid a few weeks ago, but my brother decided to use most of it to bleed his brakes...

Well the bolt was hella-hard to get off, seized on there. After finally getting it off, I went to refill the brake fluid, and noticed the bottle was pretty much empty.

In order to get the caliper off, I had to hit it off with a mallet, because it was seized squeezing the pads against the rotor.

Well after a few knocks, it popped off (into my hand), but the pads popped off as well. So I had no idea how the spring went on.

so I had to borrow my moms car to go to school the next day. I waited for the next caliper to come in the mail, then took that one off, and examined how the springs were loaded on. I have everything up and running well :)

Next up is replacing the motor mounts (I have 3 idk what the 4th one is. I looked on autopartswarehouse and they only have 3 listed.)

I'm waiting till its warmer to start on the less critical things. I might just have a shop do the motor mounts.

Back