Where Can I Get a Good Horn?

prmspen

:
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 GT Black Mica
Stop sniggering...

Seriously, I love my speed, but the horn is pathetic. Anyone know the best place to get a replacement that doesn't sound like a cat farting?

Stop sniggering...

Seriously, I love my speed, but the horn is pathetic. Anyone know the best place to get a replacement that doesn't sound like a cat farting?

hella supertone is the best aftermarket disc style horn.

rallylights.com

a cheap alternative, but not nearly as high quality as using a supertone, is to get a disc from a car who's horn you like, like...an 87 blazer or something, go to Advance autoparts, and get the low tone horn to compliment your stock high tone horn. there is a write up for this on this forum somewhere...

The most common replacements that I've seen are:

Fiamm Freeway blasters- two tone trumpet style ~$30 I have these and they sound great... exactly like a car should sound. Others have added just the low tone FB (~$15) to the stock high tone and that also sounds good. Really for the price it's hard to beat.

Hella Supertones- two tone disc style ~$60 Super loud, though more... electronic than the fiamms. These are the ones linked above

Wolo - two tone trumpet style ~$30-40 Also make it sound like a car

Stebel nautilus dual tone compact air horn ~$50. The size of two cans of redbull but it's an air horn. If I were getting horns again this is what I would get. They're used a lot on motorcycles (thus why they're small). One guy on a motorcycle forum was saying how he was installing it on his bike in the parking lot of his job before he went home. When he started testing all the people inside came out to see why there was a train in the parking lot. :lol:

OEM Mazda CX-9 dual tone trumpet style. I haven't seen these, but given the 3 comes with a Fiamm horn I imagine the CX-9 does as well. Not sure on the price.

Replacement is pretty easy as long as you jack the front of the car up to get good access to the horn. I did it without and it was a PITA but still totally worth it.

Is the air horn really that loud? In amazon it says it can be heard 3 city blocks away...is it true?

The most common replacements that I've seen are:

Fiamm Freeway blasters- two tone trumpet style ~$30 I have these and they sound great... exactly like a car should sound. Others have added just the low tone FB (~$15) to the stock high tone and that also sounds good. Really for the price it's hard to beat.

Replacement is pretty easy as long as you jack the front of the car up to get good access to the horn. I did it without and it was a PITA but still totally worth it.

Fiamm sounds good. Any special tricks to the install, other than jacking it up if you can? Do you need a relay or anything like that?

I just bought a low tone horn by Blazer. Cost is $20 and it installs in 15 minutes because the bracket for the horn is already there on the MS3, all you do is screw the new horn into it and splice into the stock horn's wires. (The MS3 comes standard with the high-tone horn)

http://www.autozone.com/selectedZip...etail/initialR,2560171/shopping/selectZip.htm

blibh103fbl003.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a walkthrough copied from another forum. ;)

itheearl said:
We all know that the stock horn on the 3 is a bit wimpy / pathetic.
I've actually gotten in the habit of only hitting the LOCK button on the remote one time when I leave the car; pressing it twice makes the horn chirp, and I would feel emasculated if one of the women at my apartment complex were to hear the pathetic sound that the stock horn makes.

I decided to upgrade the stock horn by adding a second, lower pitched, horn. It took me quite a while to figure out how to do it, when in reality upgrading the horn is quite simple. (And you don't have to cut, splice, or tap any wires.)

What follows is a beginner's guide to upgrading wimpy the stock horn in the mazda 3.

For starters, you will need some tools. Here's what I used:
Regular sized Phillips screwdriver, 10mm socket, 12mm socket (worked, but was a bit loose), flashlight, optional small flat screwdriver, and wire crimper / stripper tool
33446_08_07_08_8_12_42.jpg

You will also need a replacement horn, some heat shrink tubing or quality electrical tape, some (perhaps one foot) 18 to 14 gauge wire (prefer 16 or 14 gauge), and a single crimp-on spade terminal that matches the one on the back of the replacement (or OEM) horn (this will plug into the factory wiring harness in place of the terminal on the horn).
The stock horn is just a generic, high pitched Fiamm AM80S trumpet horn, model A045622.
According to Fiamm's (the manufacturer) website, AM80S horns draw 5A of power. The fusebox has a 15 amp fuse, so I should be able to add a second horn and still have a margin for error.
I picked up a Fiamm Freeway Blaster LOW NOTE horn at Advance Auto Parts for about $17 after tax.
33446_08_07_08_8_15_18.jpg

Accessing the horn is quite simple, and if you have small hands and don't mind somewhat tight spaces, there is no need to remove the bumper. The horn is located below the driver's (left) side headlight (beneath / beside the air filter / intake).
33446_08_07_08_8_10_27.jpg

You should probably put the front of the car on ramps or jackstands. There are three Phillips head screws that hold the plastic wheel-well piece to the front, left, underside corner of the bumper. Remove these screws. The flap will then be stuck underneath the skid panel (the one that gets in the way of the oil filter). You will have to slide it to the side to free it from the skid plate (Optional: you can also remove the skid plate if you like), and then peel it back as shown from the side:
33446_08_07_08_8_09_35.jpg

Shine your flashlight up into the cavity, and you should be able to see the horn on its mounting bracket. There is a single wire attached to the stock horn - carefully unplug it. The bracket is held in place by a hook and a single bolt (~12mm). Remove the bolt, then slide the bracket upwards to free the hook from the chassis.

You will need to remove the nut from the stock horn on the bracket, and then add the additional bracket for the second horn, as well as the ground for the second horn. It might do well to put a bit of lock-tight on the nut (you might assemble the whole thing before tightening it down for the final time, however). Below are two pictures of stock bracket/horn with the additional bracket/horn added.
33446_08_07_08_8_14_29.jpg

Stock horn
33446_08_07_08_8_10_47.jpg

Additional horn (they look quite similar)
(UPDATE: people with fog lamps have commented that it may be necessary to re-hang the original bracket first and then bolt on the stock horn and the extra bracket/horn second.)

You will need to wire up a small harness to plug the stock connector into the two horns (they will be connected in parallel). The two female crimp connectors come with the aftermarket horn; you will have to buy an extra male/spade terminal that matches the ones on the horns and plug that one into the factory horn wire that you disconnected earlier.
Here is my harness:
33446_08_07_08_8_11_52.jpg

Here is what it looks like on the mounting brackets:
33446_08_07_08_8_14_07.jpg

At this point, you need to reinstall the horn assembly.
Be careful not to hit your hand on anything while tightening the nut.
You may have to readjust it a bit to make sure that your horns don't rub on anything in the vehicle. (I don't have foglamps, so i don't know if they make this process difficult or not - You might see how much room you have in there before you start)
Here are some pictures looking up from the bottom of the car at the improved horn assembly:
33446_08_07_08_8_13_22.jpg

33446_08_07_08_8_14_53.jpg

(the horns face toward the front of the vehicle, at a downward angle. The aftermarket horn is closest to to the camera/bottom of the vehicle)

The horn sounds like it belongs to a real car now; nothing to be embarrassed about anymore.
(Be sure to let us know how your upgrade turns out!)

installing AIR HORN MUSICAL "LA CUCARACHA" with 5 trumpets on CX-9

Hi
I have CX-9 and I want install AIR HORN MUSICAL LA CUCARACHA with 5 trumpets on it!!!
I'm not sure that it will fit to my car or no????
Is any one can help me Where, how and how many trumpet is possible to install?
Thanks

Hi
I have CX-9 and I want install AIR HORN MUSICAL LA CUCARACHA with 5 trumpets on it!!!
I'm not sure that it will fit to my car or no????
Is any one can help me Where, how and how many trumpet is possible to install?
Thanks

Ok... let me break down what is wrong with this post.

1st: It is a dead thread that hasn't been active for damn near a year
2nd: This is the MS3/3 section and you're talking about a CX9
3rd: Just no. Don't install those horns

But... if you really want to and it's your thing... post in the CX-9 section or find a friend who can help.

Ok... let me break down what is wrong with this post.

1st: It is a dead thread that hasn't been active for damn near a year
2nd: This is the MS3/3 section and you're talking about a CX9
3rd: Just no. Don't install those horns

But... if you really want to and it's your thing... post in the CX-9 section or find a friend who can help.

Hahahaha!!!! This has to be the funniest thread revival...

Back