Wheelspin: Car or Tires?

Gibbsinator

:
2004 Mazda 3i 2.0L
Today was pretty wet and rainy. While pooling from a stop, I got some mild wheelspin. Later I was doing a mild pool, when I shifted into 2nd at about 20mph I got more wheelspin. My tires are goodyear viva 2 (came with car used.) Mazda3 2.0l MT. Tires still have decent tread, but haven't been impressed, they are all-weather but rain seems to be weakness.

In your case, I would say its the tires. FYI those tires are made for and sold only at Wal-Mart, so I wouldn't expect too much from them.

Last edited:
That was kinda my thought... I noticed they are/were cheaper ties. I've had other small incidents of them sliding on me, while coming to mildly abrupt stops, one of which could have killed me and my gf. I didn't buy the tires, they came on the car when I bought it. Any recommendations for good tires. Goodyear if possible, becase we have a local shop we do use for all our tire needs that I want to purchase my next set of tires from. We just bought Eagle GTs for our 09 Mazda3, but I'm effectively prohibited from driving it.

well maybe not, I changed my mind after reading some of the reviews, they don't look like very good tires

Yeah, I don't know if they had a Speed rating of V though... but they were 440 A A rated.

I'm putting some consideration into the Assurance Comfortread and Assurance Tripletread All-Season, they seem to boast great reviews accross the boad and offer a higher milage warranty then the GT; 80,000 miles ver 50,000 miles.

That's my tentative choice. I'll do some more looking and see what the price will be, but yes, the Comortread stackes up well against other tires in the same category too. I definitely need a tire that grips regularly and on wet conditions. Looking at some research 15" tires get slightly better speed and efficiency, but have slightly lower grip, so I can justify buying expensive tires.

And of course it is worth spending a little more if you can get 70-80k miles out of a set of tires, vs 30-40k miles from most tires out there. But I guess that wouldn't matter
too much if you are only planning on keeping the car say another year or two.

Last edited:
What do you mean by "pooling from a stop"? I'm guessing pull?

But rs has got it right in that it's definitely your tires. You're going to be hard pressed to find a tire that you can't spin in the wet. I think if you look around most shops offer free balance and rotation if you buy tires from them. If it were me I wouldn't want to limit myself to just GY, especially when there are some awesome tires out there like the Conti DWS.

What do you mean by "pooling from a stop"? I'm guessing pull?

Yes, lol, I sent that from my phone.

If it were me I wouldn't want to limit myself to just GY,

The local shop is owned by a friend's family, they've been real cool guys and good to us. The shop is also within walking distance from work and my house.

especially when there are some awesome tires out there like the Conti DWS.

Those aren't made for my rim, or any 15" rims I believe...

How easy is it for you(or others) to get wheelspin?

Sounds like you have some good reasons for going with that tire shop!

I think wheel spin is easy to achieve in a manual transmission car, particularly in 1st gear. I'm not sure I could cause wheel spin in 2nd gear in my Miata because it is a fairly low amount of power and torque. In the Speed3 it would be easier.

When I spun them in 2nd I took extra concern. I think that's a bad sign. I achieved minor under-steer not long ago in similar rain conditions, when taking a small twisty. I've lost grip too easily a few times to be confident in this set of tires in ANY rain conditions. All occasions have been in rain/wet road.

Heavily considering a traction bar to keep those all important front wheels to the ground on takeoff and hopefully heavy cornering

A traction bar isn't going to improve understeer. The first thing to check is the tread on your tires and determine if they need to be replaced. If not, the next thing to think about is your driving style in the rain or wet conditions.

I take it easier in the wet and rain cause I know how easily it can happen. The tread on my tires is 6/16 so tread there is still some tread left. I'm definitely going to get new tires, does anything else other than driving style affect under steer? Like handling capabilities or improving/having worn suspension parts or anything?

Generally cars from the factory are designed to understeer because it is safer. But front wheel drive cars are more prone to understeer.

Back