Wheel Shakes Hard On Highway?

:
2002 Protege5
I just bought this car. I am going to put brand new Wagner pads & cross-drilled slotted rotors on all around, and balance all the tires, and alignment.
The car drives smoothly around at city speeds. It's only around 45 maybe faster mph that you feel the steering wheel shake and its a very rough shake on the highway. It just pulls a little to the left, but the shaking seems to originate on the passenger side.

Do you think replacing rusty rotors, balancing tires and an alignment might possibly be all that is needed? The previous owner sold me the car saying it had no problems and I didn't take it on the highway, I took his word for it because it ran so good around the city. It's an auto transmission. My Honda is a Manual and I'm a fan of Manual, but this car is really zippy and I can cope with the automatic. I want to drive this car or sell it for $1150 as is. Do you think I can get $1150 as-is with regular paint wear, 202,000 miles, no leaks, clean engine, synthetic oil used, 80% Continental ContiProContact Tires?

As far as the shaking goes, the brakes on these cars like to seize up. So with changing the brakes and balancing the tires the problem should go away. If not, I'd look at the wheel bearing.
And I'd say that price seems fair, but it's hard to say without pictures and seeing the mazda rot.

I say keep it at that price. It's a very practical and fun car. Get your wheels balanced and have them(or you) check the wheel bearings, tie rod ends, and axle shafts.

Make sure the rims aren't bent as well. I had a trifecta with mine. Two seized calipers, 4 bent rims, two bad wheel bearings, and poor alignment... So really a quadfecta lol.

Last edited:
Sounds like a tire balance issue, possibly a bad tire. This is pretty typical for it to ride smooth at lower speeds and only cause a vibration at higher speeds, usually just a balance issue. But if the car has sat for a long time, they may be flat-spotted or separated belt or something causing the vibration. Balancing the tires will likely correct the issue.

And FYI

Brakes will only cause a vibration when you press on the brakes, let go and the vibration will stop. (unless it's REALLY bad, in which case you'll feel it at lower speeds when braking)
Axles can cause a vibration but typically you'll only feel it when accelerating.
Wheel bearings will make so much noise you'd KNOW something was wrong well before they cause a vibration. If a wheel bearing is causing a vibration, don't drive the car because it's BAD.
Steering components will have other symptoms and rarely exhibit a vibration issue only present at highway speeds.

Back