Wheel rim scrape

:
2023 CX-5S Select
2010 Mazda 5 Sport. Well I got too close to a curb and scraped my front rim. I went down to the metal. Does anyone know what the coating is on the rim and is it available? Special paint? Thanks, Marty

Is it deep? "Went down to the metal?" The wheel is aluminum. It appears painted to me, but could be just clear over aluminum. There are restoration services, but depending on how bad it is and how much you want to spend, you might find a new/used for cheaper.

The first curbing always hurts bad.

I don't know of a particular paint, but silvers are hard to match, so you will be jbweld'ing and painting the entire wheel if you want to make it look right.

Maybe just live with it, (cause it will happen again), or find a single wheel and have your tire swapped?

Last edited:
My wife nicked one of ours last year. I just used the Mazda touch up paint (2009 Silver), and it came out pretty close. Just make sure you clean any brake dust residue from the area before you start. If nothing else, it will stop the surrounding paint from blistering.

- JP.

I had some silver Ford touchup paint that I used on the wheels of my Focus. It worked fine on those, and since I had some leftover from that car, I used it on some curb rash on my 5. It looks fine. You might tell that it's an almost imperceptible shade lighter if you get within two feet, but really, unless you're right up on them, you couldn't tell....
FWIW....

Permatex has a kit out here, that includes some filler and a small bottle of silver rim touch up paint. It's about $20, and has everything you need. I saw it at Walmart, and have been tempted to try it on my damaged rim.

-Ryan

Back