wheel bearing

ttek

I have a roaring in the front end of my p5..from reading the forums it leads me to believe its a wheel bearing..
but how do i know which side?
when i turn (or veer) to the right at any speed over 35km/h, the sound goes away until i straighten out.
Thanks

raise both wheels in the air, grab the top and bottom of the tyre and push/pull to see if there's any play. There shouldn't be.

Last edited:
I agree with fitftw. when you have the wheel lifted you can also just manually rotate them. I bad bearing will produce some grinding and vibration when you slowly rotate the tires.

when my front went out I'd have sworn it sounded like the driver side from inside. No play on either and couldn't feel it in manual rotation. I had to put it on stands and run it in gear. You could hear a whirring. It was the passenger side.

Which makes sense that it was the right side since the noise went away when you turned right (unloaded a bunch of weight from the right bearing).

When my right front bearing went out, I didn't have any play in the wheel either. But once I had the bearing out, it sounded like it was full of gravel when I spun it.

Latest posts

Back